I'm "Totally" confused.

Options
JoeAldrich
JoeAldrich
Community Member

I've been using 1PW since I started with 1PW3. I love 1PW and couldn't do without it. Until this afternoon I didn't know 1PW even had "extensions" and accounts. I use my Macs (since 1985) in a "vacuum" with the only contact with other users through support forums.

Is there some reading and study I can do to catch up? Then I might be able to ask a sensible question. I'm 81 years old and still learning.

Joe

1Password Version: 1PW6, version 6.2.1
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: none yet.
Referrer: forum-search:I'm "Totally" confused.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JoeAldrich,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. And thanks for being such a longtime 1Password customer!

The first thing I would recommend is to get started with the 1Password browser extension if you haven't already done that. We have a great tutorial and video here:

How to automatically save and fill passwords on the web

Then, if you were curious about 1Password Families, you may want to check out our page here:

1Password Families

The ability have a family account is most useful if you plan to share items with your family:

• Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Setting up syncing with Dropbox can be confusing for some folks. With 1Password Families, you sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family members. When you create a new vault, you can add people to it automatically. They don’t need to do anything to see it and begin using it on their end.
    • Set permissions for each family member on each vault. Some passwords can be set to read-only, for example.
    • Recover accounts if your family members forget their Master Passwords. This is a huge one. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family.

But there are other benefits as well. You can view, edit, and add items from any browser. You will always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you are away from your main devices.

I hope that helps. Don't hesitate to let me know if you end up with any questions. :)

Cheers!

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks khad, Much has happened since my panicky question. I acquired a new MacBook. So I have need to install a copy of 1 Password 6 to protect it.
    I went to Firefox, my default browser, and looked at Add-Ons. My Firefox had 1Password 4.5.6. If I am not mistaken this is the extension you wish to see when I need to fill the extension box. am I correct?
    I have been using 1Password since version 3 was the latest. I am beyond much of what you suggested. I have 2 Take Control eBooks that I have consulted when I got stuck in the past. I will try to ask more specific questions in the future.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JoeAldrich I hope you like the new MacBook! You are correct: 1Password 4.5.6 is the extension you should see in Firefox's add-on list. Let us know if there's anything else you're curious about, or something else we can help with 8-)

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure I will need to ask a question from time to time. I will ask each question as it arises. Thanks for your patience with me.
    Joe

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JoeAldrich,

We're always here and very happy to hear and help with any questions that you have! Be sure to contact us any time you want :chuffed:

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Pilar. I will.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.