kinz888
kinz888
Community Member

Symptom: Firefox, Chrome, and Safari freeze/crash
- I work in Chrome mostly
-- suddenly the tab goes blank and no content will load in any tabs
-- no errors appear
-- restarting Chrome doesn't fix it
- When I try to open Firefox, it insists that I already have an instance running and won't open
- When I try to open Safari, it opens a new window for less than a second, then disappears
-- no Safari process persists in Activity Monitor
-- no errors appear
- Meanwhile, Slack works fine, so I don't believe it's my wifi
-- symptom also occurs when connected to other wifi networks
- An OS reboot restores normal browser functions

When the symptom occurs:
- within a few minutes, or within ~24 hours of starting 1Password Mini

Fix attempt history:
- I took increasingly drastic measures to resolve the symptom
-- I didn't want to blame 1Password because my love for using 1Password borders on the inappropriate, and I so want to continue recommending 1Password to my clients, friends and family
- After trying to reinstall browsers, reinstall 1Password, reinstall extensions, i decided to wipe my SSD completely

Clean slate approach:
- Wiped my SSD completely and reinstalled OS X, Chrome, Slack, 1Password, etc.:
-- I can leave 1Password running with iCloud sync and use the 1Password extension for Chrome without incident (haven't tried adding the extensions for Safari/Firefox yet)
-- if I let 1Password Mini run, the symptom returns

Context:
- I did sign up for 1Password for Families this year and I did "include" a Families vault to my Mac before the wipe.
- I haven't added the Families vault to my fresh 1Password AgileBits store installation yet.

Further Troubleshooting:
- I'm willing to experiment, provide more data points, anything that helps you help me and anybody else this might affect. I'm gradually getting used to using the Chrome browser extension and the main 1Password app instead of 1Password Mini. I can't afford the workflow interruptions caused by this symptom.

Thanks for the ear! -Aaron

1Password Version: 6.3 (630032)
Extension Version: Chrome 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:browsers freeze, kb:undefined, kb-search:all my browsers freeze, kb:undefined, kb-search:browsers freeze

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kinz888,

I'm so sorry you've been experiencing such a strange (and annoying) problem with 1Password mini! I'm also sorry to hear your drastic measures didn't help to solve it. But we certainly appreciate all the details you've given us about the troubleshooting you've already tried, it's very helpful for us!

This really is quite an odd issue, and I don't think I've heard about this happening to anyone else. When did this problem first start? And just to make sure I understand - if you quit mini but keep the main app open, your browsers work correctly?

If you leave mini running but disable iCloud sync (from 1Password > Preferences > Sync), does that make any difference? (It shouldn't, but at least it's an easy test.)

As I don't know what would cause something like this to happen, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Hopefully the report will help us figure out what's going wrong and how to fix it. Thanks in advance! :)

• kinz888
    kinz888
    Community Member

Thanks for the rapid reply, @Drew_AG!

Symptoms started sometime in April.
    - I didn't put much thought into it at first. It wasn't frequent initially, and I figured a routine OS or browser update might fix it, or, worst case, rolling back to a time machine backup might be a cure. Rolling back to a Jan time machine backup seemed to help at first, but I didn't manage to narrow down the culprit(s) until after the wipe.

I've been using the main 1Password app (iCloud sync enabled) and the Chrome extension for days now symptom-free.
    - If I turn on 1Password Mini, all my browsers will freeze up within a few minutes or, at the latest, within a few hours.
    - I can turn on 1Password Mini and use it, and as long as I close it again before the symptom happens, no harm done.

Symptom does present with iCloud sync disabled (tried before and after the SSD wipe).

Diagnostics Report sent. Support ID #KQI-59588-684

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @kinz888! We received your Diagnostics Report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: KQI-59588-684

This discussion has been closed.