Browser pops new tab up submission of credentials

JohnL
JohnL
Community Member

When I submit credentials via the browser tool in Safari, a dialog box appears informing me that my iCloud session has expired and that I must sign into iCloud again. Safari opens a new tab or window with the request that I sign into iCloud.

Why? What can I do to prevent this?

1Password Version: 6.3 build 32
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS 10.11.5 (15F34)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Why does a browser popup request that I sign in to iCloud when I submit credentials via 1PW?

Comments

• Fatboyseb
    Fatboyseb
    Community Member

Hey same for me, new tab opening (every minutes or so when 1password app or safari plugin open) constantly asking for my iCloud détails. Happened 4 times while writing this post already, seems very dodgy. Here is a print screen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JohnL and @Fatboyseb,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I'll be happy to explain what's going on here.

This is all related to using iCloud to sync your 1Password data, and the reason you're being asked to sign into your Apple ID is because Apple expired a token that 1Password was using to sync with your iCloud account. That's not something that should normally happen too often, but Apple seems to have done that a couple times in the past day or two (and unfortunately that's not something we can control). But once you sign in with your Apple ID username and password again, 1Password will be able to continue syncing with iCloud.

On top of that, you might also be running into an additional problem where the page to sign into your Apple ID keeps opening over and over again. If so, that's due to a bug in version 6.2.1 of 1Password and I apologize for the inconvenience! But the good news is that our developers have already fixed that in version 6.3 which was just released yesterday. If you haven't already done so, please install the latest update for 1Password for Mac to solve this problem. You might need to sign into your Apple ID one more time after that, but it should no longer happen repeatedly.

If you'd like a bit more information about all this, you can find a more in-depth explanation from Kevin here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/307705/#Comment_307705

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that. Cheers! :)

• JohnL
    JohnL
    Community Member

Tnx, @Drew. As noted, I'd upgraded to 6.3. That had reduced the frequency of the intrusions. Now I'm signed in via Safari (as opposed to signing in via System Prefs) and I'll see how things go.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome @JohnL! I noticed in your first message that you were using version 6.3, but mentioned it in my reply as it sounded like Fatboyseb was running into the bug from version 6.2.1.

Hopefully it works well for you from now on, but there's a possibility you'll be asked to sign into your Apple ID again, because for some reason the token seems to have been expiring about once a day for many customers. Our developers have contacted Apple to try and figure out why that's happening, so hopefully that will help solve it soon. Please let us know if you have more questions about that! :)

• JohnL
    JohnL
    Community Member

Update: No additional pop-opens. Yay!

It is odd that iCloud seems to drop the authorization sometimes. Is there a planned (calendared?) duration for the token?

BTW, last week, while I was checking for updates and found the 6.3 update, I had an extended chat with Apple Support about this issue. The support technician re-assured me that he had been working with Macs for a long time and knew a lot about them. I explained that I'd bought my first one in 1986 when one had to connect an external floppy drive to avoid having to swap floppy disks. I also told him I was formerly the CTO for my school at my university. When I explained that the issue involved 1PW, he sent me a paragraph explaining what 1PW does!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Update: No additional pop-opens. Yay!

:chuffed:

It is odd that iCloud seems to drop the authorization sometimes. Is there a planned (calendared?) duration for the token?

The issue appears to have been that the tokens were recently set to expire once every 24 hours or so. That isn't usually the case.

BTW, last week, while I was checking for updates and found the 6.3 update, I had an extended chat with Apple Support about this issue. The support technician re-assured me that he had been working with Macs for a long time and knew a lot about them. I explained that I'd bought my first one in 1986 when one had to connect an external floppy drive to avoid having to swap floppy disks. I also told him I was formerly the CTO for my school at my university. When I explained that the issue involved 1PW, he sent me a paragraph explaining what 1PW does!

It's good to know he was familiar with 1Password! We're awfully familiar with a lot of what Apple does, so it's nice to get some love back ;)

• JohnL
    JohnL
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hey, @nmott, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

I hope the tokens persist longer than 24 hours.

I'd say the Apple Support guy was marginally aware of 1Password. In fact, his awareness seemed to me to extend to finding a one-paragraph description of the product (perhaps from y'all's site), copying it, and pasting it into our chat!

• Hi @JohnL and others,

The tokens should now persist, so you shouldn't get asked again. If you do, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.