Multiple window support in Vivaldi for Windows (using Chrome extension)

Options

In short: using the Chrome 1Password extension in Vivaldi doesn't handle multiple windows well at all. When running with two or more windows, the extension appears to only be able to see / interact with one of the windows. So, for example:

I have two windows open. One is at Amazon.com, the other is at Facebook.com. If I trigger 1Password from either window, it will give me login options only for Amazon. If I click the button or use the keyboard shortcut while the page with Facebook has focus, I will be shown my Amazon results. If I manually search for Facebook at that point, it will find the login entry, but if I try to activate it, it will switch focus to the other window, open a new tab, go to Facebook, and autofill. In other words, it behaves in all respects as though there is only one window open.

None of these issues are present in Chrome, so I'm guessing it's due to Vivaldi's implementation of Chrome's commands. Is there any chance we'll get native Vivaldi support? If not, any suggestions for this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Doskei

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: Windows 10 build 1511 (up to date)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @doskei. Thanks for your post. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having, but unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce it.

First, let me say that the Chrome extension is the native Vivaldi extension. Vivaldi is built on the open source code that powers Chrome, and the extensions window in Vivaldi even prompts users to install extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

Second, I tested this with Twitter in one window and Google in another, and I got the correct Logins in the list in both windows whether clicking the 1Password button in the toolbar or clicking 1Password mini in the menu bar.

At first I thought maybe it was related to using a private window, but even after I made sure to enable 1Password in Incognito, I couldn't even get 1Password to do anything in a private window…

So, I'm not quite sure what might be going on with the problem you described. Can you let us know if you're still able to reproduce the problem using the latest Vivaldi release? I'm currently using 1.1.453.54. If so, could you give us some more details about how you're able to reproduce the problem?

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jxpx777: Did you test it with the latest 1Password for Windows desktop app on Windows 10? I wonder if there may be a difference in our setups. I'm seeing the same behaviour as doskei, but I'll admit that it's also difficult for me to describe and understand it myself.

@doskei: If I understand your description and my own testing, essentially, having two Vivaldi windows (not tabs, which I typically use) open to two different websites and clicking on the 1Password button in either appears to (by default) show only logins for the window which was opened first, shown here on the right open to the Citibank website:

I tried loading a new site in either to see if that made any difference, but regardless of the order, the logins shown in either window reflected the URL of the first actual Vivaldi window I'd opened on the right side.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience (and confusion) here. In the mean time, since this does not appear to affect filling, you can use Ctrl \ to fill the correct login for the window's current URL even when clicking the button displays those for the URL in the first window. We'll investigate to see if we can find a solution to this. :)

ref: OPW-566

• doskei
    doskei
    Community Member
    Options

Jamie, Brenty - thanks very much for the replies! Interesting that one of you is able to reproduce but not both. To answer both of your questions - I'm running the latest 1Password (I was careful to accurately fill out the system information in the OP, but it's 4.6.0.604). Vivaldi, Chrome, and the 1Password extension in both are also all up to date.

One thing I didn't mention: I'm running Vivaldi x64. Just because. Here's the version info from Vivaldi's "about" page:

Vivaldi 1.1.453.52 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
    Revision 0c319c380220abe3daf0277e40a2d0b22a7c4550

When I posted the original, I could swear that I tried both the keyboard shortcut and the extension button, with identical results. However as Brenty said - the behavior I'm seeing now is that the button is affected by this bug and the keyboard shortcut is not. Which is fantastic, actually - I prefer the shortcut, so if that keeps working, I'm happy. I'm not sure if (a) I'm crazy, (b) I got an update that half-fixed it, or (c) it's an inconsistent bug. I'm actually guessing (c) but I'll hope for (a).

Regardless, thank you both for your input. I'll post any changes in behavior here, and keep an eye on the thread for questions that need answerin'.

• doskei
    doskei
    Community Member
    Options

Just a quick update: I was right, it's (c). Screenshots:

So earlier this morning, the behavior was that Ctrl + \ applied to the live window, and the button applied to the other window. Now, Ctrl + \ seems to behave as though it's looking at a blank tab, and the button applies to the wrong window. Just, inconsistent.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up, @doskei. Can you see if you can reproduce the same issue in Chrome? Our code for Chrome and Vivaldi is exactly the same, so I think this is likely a Vivaldi bug (You can report it here.) if you're unable to reproduce it in Chrome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doskei: Indeed, I'm of two minds about this myself. Since the issue isn't present on OS X or in Chrome on either platform, it isn't clear where the problem lies. I'm not seeing the Ctrl \ behaviour you're reporting. It fills properly for me using the keyboard shortcut, even when the correct logins aren't displayed. :unamused:

Interestingly, I'm glad you mentioned x64. I didn't realize there was a 64-bit build of Vivaldi for Windows since the site only offers the 32-bit download to Windows users pretty much everywhere. I'll test the x64 as well and see if that makes any difference (though it sounds like not from your description).

• doskei
    doskei
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies - I haven't checked this thread in a bit (obviously).

Jamie - Chrome was my primary browser prior to giving Vivaldi a try, and having used both Chrome and 1Password for years, I think I can say that I've done that testing, and at no point experienced this issue.

So yeah, it smells like a Vivaldi implementation issue, and perhaps I should try the x86 version of Vivaldi for a while to see if it's at least more consistent there. Ultimately, this is why the core question in my OP was "will Vivaldi get its own plugin" but I understand that, since the Vivaldi devs are asserting that they implement the same extension API that Chrome does, it would be somewhat silly for you to have to write a separate version for Vivaldi.

So, bottom line: if the x86 edition of Vivaldi is at least consistent in its bug behavior, I can definitely work around it, and that's what I'll do in the hopes that the bug itself is on Vivaldi's end, caused by their implementation of Chrome's extension API, and will thus eventually get solved. Indeed, I will go ahead and make a post on their forums and link back here for reference.

Thanks a million to you both! Keep rocking - even when there are bugs, I maintain that 1Password is the best piece of software I've ever purchased.

Doskei

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My understanding is Vivaldi is built on Chromium with some customizations, so it's less about their implementation of the extensions API, which I think they would get from the Chromium base, and more about how they track things like the active window and tab, which could be more Vivaldi specific. Please do share a link to your post on their forums though so we can follow along as all of this is just a best guess from our side. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So yeah, it smells like a Vivaldi implementation issue, and perhaps I should try the x86 version of Vivaldi for a while to see if it's at least more consistent there.

@doskei: Also, you don't need to check this. I'd been using the 32-bit version when testing this at first, and the behaviour is identical to the 64-bit version.

• jeanpaulsamson
    jeanpaulsamson
    Community Member
    Options

I recommend those encountering issues with the Chrome-based 1Password Extension in Vivaldi upgrade to the latest version of that browser. I found that Vivaldi 1.2.490.35 (64-bit) has fixed the problem with the 1Password context menu showing the wrong login/account information for the selected tab.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks for the tip! It's definitely getting better with each release. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.