Some questions regarding existing and upcoming features

Options
Backspaze
Backspaze
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've been testing the beta for some time and have some questions about its features. I apologize in advance if some of these already have been answered but I couldn't find anything when searching.

Is the browser extension necessary to be able to auto fill credentials? I've been using KeePass for quite some time and using the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+A auto fills just about everything from site logins to logins in different apps. The settings for the auto fill is also extremely customizable, so you can make it work with practically any kind of login prompt. If KeePass can do that, couldn't a similar (customizable?) keyboard shortcut be implemented in 1Password, thus avoiding the need for yet another add-on in the browser, and also to be able to auto fill credentials in other apps as well?

Is there any way to change the category of an object? I imported my database from KeePass and all objects became Logins. Since folders isn't available for some reason, I must resort to categories and tags to sort everything and if I can't change the category I have nor real use of the built in categories, unless of course for any new objects I might create.

I like to keep my taskbar clean and want to be able to minimize 1Password to the system tray. Is this something that will be possible in a future update?

Also, from an earlier conversation with support I got the impression that the only app that would be available for Windows 10 users would be the one from the Windows Store, as the new desktop app would only be compatible with Windows 7/8. If the new desktop beta app is anything to go by, then the desktop app will clearly be an option on Windows 10, as it is working just fine on that OS. I don't know if you changed you mind about the app availability or if this was just a misunderstanding from my part. In either case, it's really nice to see that there will be an option for those of us who want to avoid the Windows Store for whatever reason.

Last but not least I have a bug report for the new 1Password for desktop beta. When double clicking on a password to display it in big font style, it fills up the full width of the screen but only shows 40 characters with no ability to scroll. Meanwhile the Windows 10 Store app shows the password in much smaller size and with scrolling enabled.

1Password Version: Desktop app 2016.6.205d | Store App 2016.5.2500u
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

I apologize in advance if some of these already have been answered but I couldn't find anything when searching.

No need to apologize, we don't have much documented either since this is an early beta and a lot of major changes are coming.

Is the browser extension necessary to be able to auto fill credentials?

Yes, the browser extension integrates with the web sites, so it can analyze the input fields and determine what can be filled. It also determines when something needs to be saved. It also allows us to support credit-card and identity filling as well as other features.

This allows us to be very accurate most of the time and in many cases, prevent mis-firing the sensitive data from being filled into the wrong field such as your password going into a search box or even the address bar.

If KeePass can do that, couldn't a similar (customizable?) keyboard shortcut be implemented in 1Password, thus avoiding the need for yet another add-on in the browser, and also to be able to auto fill credentials in other apps as well?

We have basic Auto-Type support in 1Password 4 and we're still investigating what we can do for 1Password 6, it's not on top of our list because most of our users use the extensions and we need to focus on that first.

Auto-Type does allow you to auto-type in all apps most of the time and some users do use this instead of browser extensions. It works most of the time but we've seen cases where they've accidentally typed their password into the search boxes or other fields not expected, causing a security issue.

Is there any way to change the category of an object?

There isn't a way to convert the category. We'd like to do this in the future but for now, it is not possible to do this. The Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities are special categories that works with the extensions to fill in your data, so this is the original reason why we can't convert categories as the template must be precise, for the extension to know which type of data each field has.

Since folders isn't available for some reason,

For the moment, only tags will be supported for organizing your items. We're getting rid of folders due to the confusion caused by having tags, smart folders, and static folders altogether. Folders and tags tend to be the same thing most of the time and tags can be more powerful than folders, which is why we're starting off with just tags only.

I like to keep my taskbar clean and want to be able to minimize 1Password to the system tray. Is this something that will be possible in a future update?

It should be, I'll add your vote to our list.

Also, from an earlier conversation with support I got the impression that the only app that would be available for Windows 10 users would be the one from the Windows Store, as the new desktop app would only be compatible with Windows 7/8

We do apologize for the confusion. This is still technically the case but the desktop app does run on Windows 10 as you said. Let me clarify with a post I've written elsewhere in the forum:

There are going to be two separate apps that's built from a single unified C# codebase that is not limited to Windows 10:

1. 1Password 6 for Windows, the desktop .NET program that'll run on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, available to download from our site. It will extend to have more powerful features that the UWP app may not have.
    2. 1Password 6 for Windows 10, the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app that'll run on all Windows 10 devices, including Windows 10 mobile, Halo Lens, Xbox, and etc that is only available in the Windows 10 Store. It will take advantage of many of the UWP-only features, such as Windows Hello.

As you've mentioned as well, the desktop app is an option for users who cannot use the Windows Store, such as those at work.

When double clicking on a password to display it in big font style, it fills up the full width of the screen but only shows 40 characters with no ability to scroll.

Thanks for the bug report, I can confirm that and we'll get it fixed.

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

Just an update, we've fixed the Large Type issue in the latest update, it is now scrollable.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed answer, especially the clarification on the different apps. I know you are not focusing on the cosmetics of the app at the moment, but will we be able to change the icons for objects in a future update? Right now it's only the iOS and web app that shows "custom" icons, but I can't change them myself, they only get downloaded from your repository. None of the new Windows apps seems to have support for custom icons, the UWP app has what I assume is an option to switch them on or off, but nothing happens when I set it to on.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

Rich Icons and custom icons are something we will add support for in the future for 1Password 6. We had to remove the support for Rich Icons because it was causing some performance issue but we will reimplement it soon. The UWP app should've had its option removed when we removed Rich Icons, so we'll fix that; either by removing the option or re-implementing the support.

The current 1Password 4 for Windows does support custom icons; right-click on the item in the item list to select Select Icon and it'll get saved as a custom icon. We probably would do the same here for 1Password 6.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Rich icons was the name I was looking for, thank you very much.

I used 1Password 4 in the export/import process from KeePass and obviously the icons used in KeePass didn't tag along in the process. But if I manually import custom icons for all object in 1Password 4, will they be saved in the database and once you add support for it in 1Password 6 they will just pop into view?

Also, if the Icons are stored in the database, I suppose all family members will see the icons?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

The custom icons are stored within the items itself and thus, stored in the local vault files. It should be popping up in 1Password 6 as soon as we add support for it in the UI, yes.

You'll be able to migrate these icons to your 1Password account as well when we've added support for it.

Also, if the Icons are stored in the database, I suppose all family members will see the icons?

Yes, everyone would see your custom icons once they're implemented everywhere. Currently, only the Mac and iOS apps will show the custom icons. The Windows, Android, and web apps will gain support for it later.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

The custom icons are stored within the items itself and thus, stored in the local vault files. It should be popping up in > > 1Password 6 as soon as we add support for it in the UI, yes.

You'll be able to migrate these icons to your 1Password account as well when we've added support for it.

I used the tools mentioned in your knowledge base to export my database from KeePass, imported it to 1Password 4, saved as an opvault, opened that file in 1Password 6 and finally moved all objects to my Personal vault in my family account.

You state that I will be able to migrate the icons to my 1Password account. If I were to repeat the above process now, with the added step of adding my custom icons in 1Password 4, would the icons somehow get lost when I move the objects from the local vault to my Personal vault in the Family account since you don't support that yet?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

Correct. Right now, the custom icons are being imported into your local database in 1Password betas but when you migrate them, the custom icons are not converted and uploaded to your 1Password Account.

Custom icons are treated differently for 1Password Accounts, they're more of external files that attach to your items, rather than blended into your item's content. So, when we migrate these custom icons, we have to upload them as files. This is currently not implemented in the 1Password beta apps for Windows.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

Just an update, the latest 179d version has support for minimizing to tray. Some users want an option to do this, so we'll look at adding a setting as well.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah I noticed that, great! Customizations options are always a good thing and I think you should add as many as possible so that everyone can tailor it to how they want it. Maybe even add some layers for the settings menu to hide/show options for novice/advanced users.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Backspaze,

We have no plans to add a setting for everything and will be limiting this as much as we can. Each single setting makes the app twice as complex to maintain for both users and our team. A large number of our users weren't even aware of many settings available and worse, certain settings made the app more complex or confusing to use, so we want to reduce or eliminate by doing more with less settings.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

From what I can tell the UI on Mac, UWP and the web seems to (somewhat) closely match one another with button placement, making it consistent and easy for users switching between platforms. The desktop version on the other hand has some differences in the layout, with buttons like New Item, Edit and Browse at different places compared to the others.

I know you're focusing on other things than the look of the app right now, but it would of course be preferable if as many platforms as possible has the same UI. I'm guessing streamlining the UI to match the different platforms as much as possible is on your to do list?

On another note, will the Admin Console ever make it's way to any of the apps or will it always just be accessible from the web?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

From what I can tell the UI on Mac, UWP and the web seems to (somewhat) closely match one another with button placement, making it consistent and easy for users switching between platforms. The desktop version on the other hand has some differences in the layout, with buttons like New Item, Edit and Browse at different places compared to the others.

@Backspaze: I agree. This is definitely a challenge, not only on the technical level, but also trying to strike a good balance in the design. Thanks for your feedback on this!

I know you're focusing on other things than the look of the app right now, but it would of course be preferable if as many platforms as possible has the same UI. I'm guessing streamlining the UI to match the different platforms as much as possible is on your to do list?

Yes! One example we've discussed regarding the Windows version specifically is Options
    /Settings. Windows 10 uses a very specific convention here (take a look at the Windows Settings app, with categories on the left), and we want to make 1Password familiar to Windows users. After all, a lot more people use Windows than use the 1Password.com web interface! So right now we're focused on trying to offer the similar settings/options/features across platforms as much as possible, while retaining a native look and feel. It's a delicate balancing act though, so we definitely appreciate any suggestion you have as we work to refine it!

On another note, will the Admin Console ever make it's way to any of the apps or will it always just be accessible from the web?

Yknow, that's something I've longed for myself at times. I'm not sure we want to bring all of the Admin Console settings to the apps since that would make things more complicated, especially any time we make a change. Right now a single change affects only the website, whereas having this in the apps may require 5 updates at once! However, there's definitely a strong case to be made for certain functions to be available in the apps themselves. And there may be a way to get "the best of both worlds" in regard to bringing Admin Console features into the apps themselves. It's something we're exploring. ;)

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the elaborate answer. I went by the images in the Microsoft Store, but after doing some more thorough research (installing the app...) I noticed that both the UWP and the desktop app seem to have the same layout. The images in the MS-Store are obviously from an older version that was more similar to the web interface.

The reason I'm being picky about it is that it makes it a lot easier for me to support my family if the UI is consistent and the buttons are "where they should be" regardless of what platform they might be using at the moment. Sometimes they just don't dare to click any buttons if it's not in the right position, even if it's obvious what the button will do. But it's a learning process and it will of course only get easier with time.

• Hi @Backspaze,

I noticed that both the UWP and the desktop app seem to have the same layout. The images in the MS-Store are obviously from an older version that was more similar to the web interface.

Yep, we didn't update the screenshots in the last upload as we try to update it every once in a while instead of each single time. The reason is that it takes lot of time and efforts to produce the screenshots while we were shipping multiple small updates with a lot of changes at the time. Unfortunately, the store doesn't allow us to change screenshots after the fact, so we have to wait until the next update to address this.

The reason I'm being picky about it is that it makes it a lot easier for me to support my family if the UI is consistent and the buttons are "where they should be" regardless of what platform they might be using at the moment.

We absolutely agree and it is absolutely vital that we reduce our learning curve, so that any person can pick up the app on any platform and know what to do. Right now, 1Password, unfortunately, has too much of a steep for new customers. We will continue to focus on that as we keep making changes and setting the right defaults. Right now, we need to get auto-save implemented because that's what people expect to see right off the bat.

This discussion has been closed.