PdaNet trial will not open secure (SSL) websites

FHF
FHF
Community Member
edited June 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
When away from a wifi signal, I frequently tether (using PdaNet) my MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8) to my Android phone. Until installing 1Password, I've never had any problems accessing any sites when tethered. But now, when tethered, any pages requiring a login (Schwab, Google mail, etc.) will not open. If I restart from a different volume, that does NOT have 1Password installed, no problems with access when tethered.

Any ideas?

p.s. that's supposed to be "OS ten point six point eight". No idea where the smiley is coming from.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to the forums, FHF! What, you don't like Apple's latest versioning? 10.6.8) is the coolest update ever. :lol: Seriously, though, the number eight with closed parenthesis is that goofy sunglass smiley in these forums. It's kind of annoying sometimes, but I still get a kick out of numbered lists when they get to step eight.

1) Boring step
    2) Boring step
    3) Boring step
    4) Boring step
    5) Boring step
    6) Boring step
    7) Boring step
    8) Always the coolest step
    9) Boring step

Anyway, enough nonsense. Let's see if we can't figure out what is going on. Offhand, I can't figure out any reason that the behavior you describe could be at all related to 1Password. Have you tried simply clicking the "Remove All Extensions" button in 1Password (Preferences > Browsers) to remove all the browser extensions? If the problem persists even without the browser extensions installed you can rule out 1Password. Again, I really can't see how it would be possible for 1Password to be the culprit here since 1Password only fills the form elements on pages which have already been loaded. It does nothing to modify your connection or the pages themselves before or during their loading.

It sounds like it may be related to SSL connections and not 1Password. What if you pull up a site which does not use an SSL login page (indicated with https as opposed to http at the beginning of the URL). https://www.example.com/ vs http://www.example.com/

Please let me know what yo uncover.

Thanks!
  • FHF
    FHF
    Community Member
    Ah, good to know the smiley's origin. Learn something every day. Good list.

Of course, you're right about 1Password not being the culprit in my PdaNet problem, and that it's the SSL sites that have trouble connecting. I followed your instructions and disabled extensions. Then cleared all caches with Cocktail, restarted, and connected with phone/PdaNet. Still no go; nothing that starts with 'https' will open.

Rats. I was assuming that 1Password was the source of my difficulty, as the connection problem showed up at about the same time that I purchased 1Password. Looks like it's time to start barking up another tree!

Thanks very much for the response to my query.

Forrest Friedrich
    Bend, OR
  • FHF
    FHF
    Community Member
    Ok, I'm feeling even dumber than usual. Googling 'unable to access secure sites pdanet', I discovered that that is one of the limitations of the free version of PdaNet. Re-entering my serial number solved the problem. Life good.

thanks again for the response

Forrest Friedrich
    Bend, OR
  • bswins
    edited July 2011
    Hello Forrest!

Thanks for updating the thread. Just remember, stupid is as stupid does! I'm sure you never get tired of hearing that one. ;)

In all seriousness, I am often the victim of the limited functionality included with the free versions of some apps. At least, you figured it out on your own.

In addition, I'll bet there are a lot of people out there who just went back and reread release notes for possible limitations placed on the free versions of the software that he or she uses. I know that I just did! :)

Thanks again for your update. You never know when posting an experience like yours will help people with issues that seem unrelated.

Hope you have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I was just about to suggest that it was a limitation of the trial version. I have a vague memory of that from my Palm (or was it Windows Mobile 6) days. Glad to know it got sorted! :-)
  • FHF
    FHF
    Community Member
    >>Just remember, stupid is as stupid does! I'm sure you never get tired of hearing that one.

Oh no, not at all. And every time I hear 'Run, Forrest, run!', well, a short phrase, ending in 'you' usually comes to mind, but instead of uttering said phrase I just smile sweetly.

Jeez, it's such a bright and cordial atmosphere around here that it almost makes me wish I had a real 1Password problem. Hm, maybe I'll try to make one up; something really weird and obscure.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm ready when you are.... :lol:
  • bswins
    edited July 2011
    FHF wrote:

>>Just remember, stupid is as stupid does! I'm sure you never get tired of hearing that one.

Oh no, not at all. And every time I hear 'Run, Forrest, run!', well, a short phrase, ending in 'you' usually comes to mind, but instead of uttering said phrase I just smile sweetly.

Jeez, it's such a bright and cordial atmosphere around here that it almost makes me wish I had a real 1Password problem. Hm, maybe I'll try to make one up; something really weird and obscure.

Hey Forrest!

I think it's perfectly acceptable to smile and say thank you at the same time. Don't hold back! :)

Glad you like the atmosphere in the Forums! Often, users arrive here with an issue to resolve, but you can learn a lot just by reading other's posts...much like the issue you reported.

In addition, you don't need to have a real problem to chat. Take a look at the Lounge. It's a great place to discuss off-topic ideas.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing you around the Forums. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments. Khad wasn't kidding...we're ready when you are!

Cheers!

Bubba
  • FHF
    FHF
    Community Member
    >>Regardless, I look forward to seeing you around the Forums...

Thanks very much for the invitation, but my bags are packed. Literally. Summertime has finally hit the Pacific Northwest, and my wife and I are off to British Columbia for a couple of months on our boat.

Nobody said life was always gonna be easy.

Forrest Friedrich
    Bend, OR
  • Run Forrest, Run! (sorry, that was the last reference...promise! ;))

Have a safe trip as you navigate the waters off of BC. I hope your trip is safe and enjoyable.

Once you return home, I hope you'll come see us on the Forums. We'll do our best to help you navigate the 1Password world!

Best wishes,

Brandt

P.S. I'm guessing "thank" isn't the word your thinking of right now. :)
This discussion has been closed.