Can't select text within a note [Added in 2016.6.509d update, UWP update to come]

cgranier
cgranier
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm trying to select a word from within a Secure Note, but all I get is a "copy" option that copies the entire note. I also cannot edit the note (the edit button seems to be grayed out).

This is on a Dropbox Vault.

It seems I can edit notes on the Family and Team vaults.

However, we should be able to click into the note field and select text... instead of having to find the edit icon, click on it, go back to the note, then click and select.

1Password Version: 4.2600
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @cgranier,

As you noticed, 1Password Beta does not support editing the local vaults yet, which is why you can't use the trick of editing the Secure Note items to select text to copy. We do plan to implement full support for the local vaults but we don't have a timeframe on when it will be done.

However, editing shouldn't be required to select text in any cases and we'd like to fix this, thanks for letting us know about this one.

• Hi @cgranier,

Just an update, you can now select text in secure notes in the latest 1Password 6 beta desktop build, 2016.6.509d. It will come to the UWP beta version in the near future.

• dutchster
    dutchster
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

How do you get the latest build? I go to settings and I'm on 2016.6.403u and when I go to the store it doesn't show any updates available.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

mike is referring to 1Password 6 which updates automatically with each new launch. The 1Password for Windows 10 app hasn't received this update yet @dutchster, but we'll try to make sure all the goodies we add in 1Password 6, get added to 1Password for Windows 10

• dutchster
    dutchster
    Community Member

In the store, when you go to the 1Password for Windows 10 app it says to go here to read the release history on the beta app:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/39903/release-notes-revision-history#latest

It shows newer versions of the app that have been delivered. Is this not the place to see what version the Windows 10 app is at?

• Hey @dutchster,

The thread you linked to is for the 1Password 6, the version that runs on Windows 7 to 10. The one you're using is the version from the Windows Store and it runs exclusively on Windows 10. As @mohamedosman said, you're going to get these features in the Windows Store app very soon.

I hope this helps.

• dutchster
    dutchster
    Community Member

OK, thanks for clarifying. So then I guess you have the wrong URL in the app store. Where do I go to get the release notes for the Win10 version?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

The thread you linked to is for the 1Password 6, the version that runs on Windows 7 to 10

@dutchster, @AlexHoffmann isn't entirely correct. That thread is for both 1Password for Windows 10 and 1Password 6. We use the version numbers in the notes to designate the platforms. For example:

2016.6.402d

• [IMPROVED] Some consistency in button labels.
    • [FIXED] Do not show trashed items in browser to chose from which item to fill.
    • [FIXED] List of choices for filling in browser has keyboard input focus now.

2016.6.403u

• [IMPROVED] Live search in universal app.

You'll know that 2016.6.402d is released for 1Password 6 because of the d (desktop) added to the end of the version number, and you'll know that 2016.6.403u is for 1Password for Windows 10 because of the u (universal).

I hope this helps clear things up.

• mrjamesmoore
    mrjamesmoore
    Community Member

So that's what D and U mean! :) Will the browser extension work with the UWP? Just wondering what app I should use most of the time. If the browser extension isn't going to work with U then I'll be using D ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrjamesmoore: I'd say for the time being the Desktop version has a bit of an advantage with browser integration and will probably always be a bit more comfortable for a keyboard and mouse user, whereas the UWP app works fine there too but is better suited to touch devices — and if you're using a Windows Phone, it's your only option. In time though, when they're feature complete, they will be nearly identical for a tablet/laptop user. :)

• Let me try and clarify few important points about D (desktop, runs on Windows7+) and U (universal, from Windows 10 Store):

1. they will be the same in the end, but D is receiving updates almost daily, while U catch up and receive updates almost weekly.
    2. D has browser integration, U has all the bits except one that is not easily achieved with universal platform. We have pretty good idea how to make this happens, but it's time consuming and more people can be served with D version meanwhile. Hence our focus is to push D first and follow up with U next.
  • dutchster
    dutchster
    Community Member

OK, now I'm confused again. The letters are gone. I've been following along, noticed the letters disappeared and thought maybe they've just been forgotten but they don't seem to be coming back. What does this mean for the 2 versions?

• There are changes in progress, both apps are getting closer to each other and they share version numbers now.
    Desktop app got to the new setup/version schema/crash reporting first and is at 6.0.159 as of this moment.
    Universal app is being re-uploaded under new identity, there are issues with the current 2016.6.403u that we can not fix without killing it and starting new app instead.

Both apps will share more code, share version number (u and d suffix will be displayed to make it easier to figure from which distribution they came). Both apps are going to use HockeyApp to collect and report crashes.

I hope to be able to post about changes soon and this confusion will be in the past.

This discussion has been closed.