How do I restore all of my passwords after my harddrive crashed?

mrkim2911
mrkim2911
Community Member

I downloaded 1Password and had all of my passwords stored, but then my computer crashed. I backed up all my info via Carbonite and it shows in my library I have a 1Password folder, in the folder I have the following
1. 1password.agilekeychain
2. Agent
3. Backups
4. Extensions

If I download 1Password again, will it automatically sync everything? I don't even know if I registered online. I think I just downloaded the app... I ran through all of my emails to find my login but none of them work to find my info through 1Password's site. I remember my master password, that's all.

I don't know what 1password version I used, it just used to all store on a side bar thing on chrome. I don't know what OSX I used at the time, I'm using El Captain now though....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mrkim2911,

I'm sorry to hear that your hard drive crashed, but it sounds like you had everything backed up, that's a nice silver lining! If you have your AgileKeychain file then 1Password should detect it when you launch the app for the first time after you've downloaded it again. However, you'll need to activate your license. I've searched our records with the email address you used for the forums but we don't have anything under it. While you can download 1Password right away, after 30 days the trial will expire and you'll need to add your license.

Do you think you purchased 1Password via the AppStore? In that case you need to download 1Password from there to avoid any issues. If you didn't, you can write to us to support+license@agilebits.com with other possible email addresses that you might have used so we can help you locate your license :chuffed:

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can help you with! :chuffed:

• mrkim2911
    mrkim2911
    Community Member

Hi Pilar, Thanks for the info. Honestly, I don't think I purchased 1Password, I believe I grabbed it when it was free. Can't remember if I got it through the AppStore or not, should I go with the appstore just to be on the safe side? Thanks.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@mrkim2911 I can't remember a recent time when 1Password was free, and I can't find a license for you in our system. You can check the Mac App Store, though, as we aren't able to see any purchases made there. If you're unable to find anything your best bet is to purchase 1Password -- either from the AgileBits store or the Mac App Store, your pick -- then restore your information using the Agile Keychain in your backup :)

• mrkim2911
    mrkim2911
    Community Member

i started using it in late 2012, it may have been free back then. I have no problem purchasing it from either store, as long as my stuff updates and I get my passwords back. Will the 1Password family edition work if I had the other one originally. if so, can I switch to the regular edition at a later date?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@mrkim2911 1Password Families connects to the same app you'd be using if you purchased a license. So if you want to give 1Password Families a try, you can definitely do that! You'll just have to make sure that if you decide not to subscribe you move everything out of 1Password Families and purchase a license. But you can cross that bridge if and when you come to it :)

In the meantime, your information should be restored. So download the latest version of 1Password from the AgileBits store, see if you can get everything up and running again, then decide from there how you want to proceed. 8-)

This discussion has been closed.