Entry I did not create

Options
mowheelerr
mowheelerr
Community Member

I recently reset Chrome to default settings and erased all saved passwords. Today when I went to log into Twitter, 1Password gave me a UserName and Password option that I did not create. The combination was a correct combination, i.e., it logged me into a twitter account. The account is not mine. I did not create it. The date of creation is 12.2014. I most definitely did not create the Twitter Account or the 1Password entry. How could this have happened? Nobody else uses any of my devices that have 1Password, and each device that has 1Password is kept secured.

What should I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @mowheelerr ,

Was the username WendyAppleseed? If so, then it appears you created the Demo vault. We have a demo vault feature to allow our customers to demonstrate and experiment with 1Password without affecting their real data. If you no longer need the demo vault, you can open 1Password on your Mac, switch to the Demo vault, and delete it using the Delete Demo Vault command in the 1Password menu.

If it wasn't WendyAppleseed, check the both the creation data and last modification date for clues. Did you or a family member have a guest visiting that may have logged on to their twitter account? Did you have your Mac in a public place on that date and may have let someone use it to check their twitter.

The use pattern does not indicate anything nefarious. And your data, though on dropbox, can not be accessed without your Dropbox password and your Master Password. Someone breaking in would simply copy your vault, not sync to it and add a single Twitter account. It appears someone used your computer on that day, logged into Twitter, and pressed enter when 1Password would have asked to save the login.

I hope that rings a bell. If you still have questions or that doesn't seem right, we can continue this conversation privately. Send an email to support+forum@agilebits.com in that case. If you do email us, please include a link to this forum post.

Regards,
    Kevin

• mowheelerr
    mowheelerr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kevin. I did a bit more sleuthing. Seems clear that it was one of my children, although not sure how he got access to my machine and passwords. Changing all of it to be safe. Thanks for your help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad you were able to figure out the Twitter login was for one of your children! Although I don't know for sure how he would have saved a Login item in your vault, my best guess would be the same as Kevin's: "It appears someone used your computer on that day, logged into Twitter, and pressed enter when 1Password would have asked to save the login."

Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.