Migrating from Dropbox to 1Password account

MikeT
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password is not syncing between extension and desktop app.

Comments

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member

I'd be interested in the outcome of your email discussion please as I'm about to migrate from my trusty Dropbox vaults over to 1passsword.com syncing and risk using the Win10 beta instead of v4.6 which currently looks after all my dropbox syncing. Thanks

• MikeT
    edited June 2016

Hi @Fedorov,

I've split your post from the other threads. We do not share the details of our private conversations with our customers.

As for your question, 1Password 6 beta is still a beta program with beta risks. We do not recommend using it at all to replace 1Password 4.

If you'd like to test it, we'd love for you to try it but expect a lot of rough pain growths as it is a new app that's early in its development. You can install it alongside 1Password 4 as well. However, 1Password 6 Beta should only be used for testing Families on Windows, it has read-only support for local vaults and we plan to enable write support later in the year.

You can choose to migrate your data but you may have to repeat this process later as right now, attachments are not migrated to your 1Password Account.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT - sorry I wasn't meaning for you to share the actual private conversation, I just meant if there was something in particular you found an issue with or if it was user error etc.... not specifics :)

I'm going to use the Mac version of 1Password to migrate my 2 AgileKeychain vaults into Families this weekend.....

So, once migrated into the Mac version I presume these new Family vaults now sync via 1Password.com so if I setup my family and they login to their current iphones/ipads versions and I then log them into the family account should I then delete/remove the current dropbox/agilekeychain syncing vaults from all iOS devices once logged into the 1Password.com family account?

Thanks

• MikeT
    edited June 2016

Hi @Fedorov,

So, once migrated into the Mac version I presume these new Family vaults now sync via 1Password.com

Yes, once you migrate your data to your 1Password account, all 1Password apps that is signed into your 1Password account will be up to date as we'll handle all of that for you.

if I setup my family and they login to their current iphones/ipads versions and I then log them into the family account

If you're talking about your own family members with their own data, you might want to make sure they migrate their own data to their 1Password Families account before you remove anything unless all of you are using the same local vaults.

First, invite them to your 1Password Families account, so they set up their own account to sign into their apps. Once they finish migrating the data, then they can remove their local vaults.

If you are sharing the same vault, then make sure they're invited into these shared vaults as well.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member

Thank you @MikeT - yes the Primary (agilekeychain) vault is shared via dropbox on both mine and my wife's iOS devices (Windows & Mac too). I have one other vault for my daugher which I'll also migrate and configure her access to it.

The plan is to get my teenage son onto his own vault now as well as using 1Password Families as a good excuse to set my parents up at last as they found it too complex to use previously and this makes things a lot easier :)

• Hi @Fedorov,

That sounds like 1Password Families is perfect for your needs.

Please do share any feedback from your whole family, we'd love to know where we can improve this.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT - I've migrated my Primary dropbox vault and also my daughters vault into Families today using the Mac version - I've setup all my family members accounts and access, copied all items from the old vaults to the new ones and it is all running beautifully thank you :)

Now... to show my parents how easy this is to use and make them use it!

• Hi @Fedorov,

Awesome! Keep us informed, we actually had more success getting our own elders on 1Password Families than we had before, so we knew we were on the right track.

This discussion has been closed.