Does 1Password 4 and 6 share extensions?

I've installed 1Password 6 for Windows Beta but I also have 1Password 4 Stable on the PC. What will happen when I install the browser extensions for 1Password 6?

1Password Version: Win 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.7.3
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Yep, 1Password 6 uses the same ones! I'm surprised that no one else has asked that! The 1Password for Windows version 6 beta, much like 1Password for Mac version 6, uses the current version 4.x extensions.

The main caveat using both versions of 1Password is that the extensions can only talk to one or the other. So it's necessary to open Task Manager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill Agile1pAgent.exe ("1Password (32-bit)" from version 4, with the padlock icon) if you want to use the extensions with the beta. I hope this helps! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I had to be sure, Brent. As you probably know, 1Passwords 1 and 4 where wholly different and the extensions were incompatible with each other.

• Hi @wkleem,

The core/brain of the browser extensions are the same for 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 Beta but the UI for the extensions will be different in 1Password 6. Also, 1Password 6 most likely will not support Internet Explorer but we will support Edge instead if possible depending on what Microsoft does.

As for 1Password 1.x and 4.x, this happened because of what we did to the extensions. The original extensions were self-contained mini apps with their own data that it sync'ed to the data folder on your drive. Due to the ever-changing security in browsers where extensions could not access local data anymore, we had to strip out all of the UI/data in the extension to push it to the native 1Password Helper process. Both 1Password extensions and 1Password Helper are using a local websocket connection to communicate with each other to process the native UI and data for you.

In 1Password 6, we will continue to reuse the same websocket connection with the extensions but the UI and data processing are completely different.

• redoz
    redoz
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@MikeT These guys seem to have it figured out https://blog.lastpass.com/2016/06/announcing-lastpass-for-microsoft-edge.html/ ;) Looking forward to seeing Edge supported by 1P as well.

• MikeT
    edited June 2016

Hi @redoz,

That's because Microsoft is working with them internally, we've requested to be a part of the early developer access to the Edge's extension APIs but we've never heard back from Microsoft. Beside Microsoft's selective list of partners. [Correction, I previously said we don't have access but what I meant the docs aren't complete].

So, we have to wait until Microsoft releases these docs to figure out what's implemented and not implemented for its first release.

• redoz
    redoz
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@MikeT Got this from @SampsonMSFT on twitter: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/documentation/extensions/

Apparently it is chrome compatible so hopefully porting efforts will be minimal.

Edited: Was under the impression it was closed access but seems like it's all there.

• MikeT
    edited June 2016

Hi @redoz,

That's what we hear, it should be as simple as porting the Chrome extension with a few minor adjustments for Edge.

That's what they wrote on that link:

We’re currently building and validating our extension platform and documentation with the help of a small number of extension authors.

However, I'll pass on the supported APIs link to our extension team to see if there's enough supported APIs for our needs.

Edited: Was under the impression it was closed access but seems like it's all there.

I apologize for the confusion, I did incorrectly stated we didn't have access to the docs where I was referring specifically to the documentations not being fully complete. Their roadmap page shows that a lot are still in development here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/documentation/extensions/extension-api-roadmap/

What is the status on websocket/TCP/UDP API, etc, which we need.

However, we'll revisit and see if it works without depending on the docs. If not, I'll see if we can get in touch with your source on Twitter.

• portbury
    portbury
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

Is it definite that you won't be supporting Internet Explorer with 1Password 6? We currently have a number of standalone seats of 1Password 4 that all use a single agilekeychain file on our file server. I would love to migrate to Teams, but an IE extension, or an Edge extension, are what's preventing us making the switch. I'm happy enough with where the beta version of 1Password 6 desktop is, but just need extension support in either IE or Edge. We don't use Firefox or Chrome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@portbury: It certainly isn't definite, but given the status if Internet Explorer, I think it is less than likely. And at the very least our priority is to support current browsers, not legacy ones. So in this context, Edge is something we're working on. I'm sorry that for now we're not able to offer you either one. Thanks for your patience. :blush:

• Hi @portbury,

IE won't be supported when we ship 1Password 6 stable in a few weeks. However, what happens after that, we don't know yet. We do understand a lot of businesses need to use IE and wants to see 1Password support for it.

IE doesn't have a modern web extension APIs where we can reuse majority of our extension code easily like we can for Chrome, Firefox and other browsers (Edge too, we got it working by reusing Chrome extension, just cannot bypass the localhost restrictions). We have to build a brand new add-on for IE11 and it is something we'd like to do but our first priority is getting the main 1Password 6 app done with all the features that all of our customers need right now. This does mean it may be a while but thank you for telling us this is important for you, hearing from our customers do shift some of the priorities around.

This discussion has been closed.