How can i sync a dropbox account with 1Password Families?

Options
vallibus
vallibus
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Families

I have just joined families and I wish to know how to sync with the account I had set up on my Ipad Phone and Mac which i synced on Dropbox

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:import, kb:sync-options

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vallibus,

I'm glad to hear that you're using 1Password Families! With Families you don't need to set up syncing anymore, it's all done automatically. If you were already using 1Password and now want to move all your data to your new Family account you should follow the steps outlined in this guide: https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/mac.html#step-2-set-up-the-apps-and-import-your-data

Please let us know if you have any other questions we can help you with! :chuffed:

• vallibus
    vallibus
    Community Member
    Options

How do I update my Password account on my mac. When I go to add license it takes me to my download folder. What is my licence no?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vallibus,

If you go to Preferences in 1Password you'll be able to see Accounts, it's the third option and it has a blue flag. You can add your new Family account over there. Please let me know if it all works well!

• vallibus
    vallibus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks That worked!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vallibus, I'm glad to hear that!
    If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@Pilar - My situation is similar to @vallibus, however I would like to move items en masse. I realize I can multi-select, however, have concerns about moving a large amount of items in this manner. Can you propose steps on how to safely move all 1Password data previously stored on Dropbox to 1Password for Families within the Personal vault?

Please advise if you require clarification on this question.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kurtois,

If you've already signed in to your account in 1Password for Mac, you can simply follow the steps in the "import data into your new account" section here:

https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/mac.html#import-data-into-your-new-account

You can move — or copy, if you prefer — all your items from your Primary (local) vault to your Personal (family) vault.

If you want to copy the items, leaving a backup in your Primary vault for a while, but not have them show up twice in All Vaults, simply exclude your Primary vault from All Vaults. You can even change the Vault for Saving to your Personal (family) vault.

Eventually, once you are ready to get rid of the Primary vault entirely, you will be able to disable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" on the Advanced preference pane. That will remove your Primary vault. It's only available in the beta builds at the moment, but you can either use the beta builds or wait for it to appear in the next update. :)

I hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

I must admit, the bit about "Attachments" is of concern. I attach screenshots extensively to items in 1Password. Can you speak a bit about how Attachments are affected in the conversion process? I see that they now become "Documents", however, must I relate them back manually to the original item?

Please let me know if I can clarify further.

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I went ahead and experimented by copying one item in my vault saved on Dropbox to the "Team/Family" Personal Vault. That went smoothly.

I then proceeded to copy to the same source and destination an item that had three attachments (3x PNG screenshots) attached. That went badly. I ended up with the item copied, with one attachment. Then it appears that one of the attachments was included with the original item with the other two being ignored. That same attachment was then made into a separate document item.

Can someone contact me direct so we can see if this is isolated or a larger issue?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@kurtois I was unable to reproduce this issue with a test login I created and then attached three PDFs, or with a test login that had three PNG screenshots attached. I'm afraid I don't quite understand what happened, though. Is this interpretation accurate?

1. You copied an item with three attachments.
    2. The item copied with a single attachment.
    3. The attachment was made into a separate Document.

Here's what happened for me:

1. I made an item with three attachments in my Primary vault.
    2. I moved (and later copied) the item to my Testing vault in 1Password Families.
    3. The item itself was moved or copied.
    4. The attachments -- all three of them -- were turned into Documents.
    5. The Documents were linked to the item in my Testing vault.

That's the expected behavior. If this issue happens more than once for you we might need to get more information about your setup. Do you mind trying this again?

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott - Your interpretation of my account of what happened is accurate. I will repeat the operation with a different item, if that is what you are requesting. However, I would like to document the next trial with some sort of screen recording tool. Would you have one that you suggest?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kurtois I use the screen recording tool built in to QuickTime. Please just make sure that if you record this and send it to us you do so with test items and that none of your personal information is shown -- the forums are public, and we don't want to run into any issues!

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott - Thanks for the reminder! That said, I planned to send the screen recording to the general support email address. Would that be acceptable? I assume you can access my message promptly when I have the clip sent there?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kurtois I recommend emailing support+forum@agilebits.com and posting the Support ID you'll receive from our auto-responder here in the forums. That will let me link the discussion and see if we can get a quick response for you. First, though, do you mind giving this a try again without the screen recording? My hope is that this was a one-off issue and the recording will be unnecessary :)

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

@nmott - I attempted the same operation with another Item that had 2 PNG attachments. That copied across to my Team/Family Personal vault without issue.

My goal is to start small with this and ascertain results before copying my data en masse to the Team/Family vault(s). As documented, I encountered issues with the very first Item I attempted to copy, which does not give me confidence. The second Item appears OK.

A couple questions; and please correct me anywhere I may have misspoke or used terms incorrectly:

1. How can I ascertain differences between the, how should I say, "original vault" that I have been using all along and the items that I move to the Team/Family vault? I don't trust that I will catch every Item that does not get copied correctly. I realize I could just duplicate everything and hold on to the original Items, but I don't like that notion very much.

2. How have attachments changed in this "web-aware" version of 1Password? Feel free to link to a knowledge base article, if one exists.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kurtois I'm glad that the second item was copied without issue, and I totally understand wanting to be cautious. One solution would be to make sure you create a backup before you do a big move; that way, if there are any problems, you can easily restore that backup. But in the meantime, let me address your questions...

How can I ascertain differences between the, how should I say, "original vault" that I have been using all along and the items that I move to the Team/Family vault? I don't trust that I will catch every Item that does not get copied correctly. I realize I could just duplicate everything and hold on to the original Items, but I don't like that notion very much.

Items know in what vault they are saved and to what account they are connected, and display this information right underneath their title. So for a login I see: "Test" "account: Mott" "vault: Personal" when I select the item from the All Vaults view. Besides this attachment issue (which seems like it might have been a one-off) we haven't encountered other problems with migrating via 1Password for Mac.

How have attachments changed in this "web-aware" version of 1Password? Feel free to link to a knowledge base article, if one exists.

Attachments have become Documents. Now instead of attaching something to an item, you create a document that is linked to any item you like. This makes things a bit more flexible, as documents can be linked to multiple items and viewed independently of another item. So if I attach an image to a login but forget what login it was connected to, I just go to the Documents category and find it right there. Or, if a document relates to multiple items -- say my bank login, credit card, and account information -- I can connect it to all of them at once.

Or you could upload a document to share with your family that isn't attached to any item. They work great on their own, too!

I wasn't able to find any documentation (heh) on this, but you can use the feature in 1Password for Mac by...

1. Adding a document.
    2. Finding an item you want to link to that document, like a login or credit card.
    3. Clicking Edit then scrolling to the Related Items section.
    4. Choosing between Link Existing or Add New File.
    5. Selecting the items you wish to link, or finding a new file to add as a document.

But the gist is that documents are more flexible and independent than attachments were.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott - Perhaps I was unclear in my question about how to compare my current or "original" vault with the vault that is with the new version. That said, what I was wondering is if there was a way to do something like a "file compare" operation such that I could compare the two vaults. That way, when I have migrated over everything, I could use this function to say, "yes, everything is in place as it should be and no data was lost".

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kurtois,

There is not currently a function like that in 1Password. Any such function is already performed in QA to make sure that the operation is done successfully.

Since it seems the primary concern at the moment is attachments getting turned into Documents, you might simply make a note of all the items with attachments and manually review them in each vault. Click the magnifying glass in the search field and select Items with Attachments.

Then you can compare this to the Documents items in the target vault.

This may not scale as well if you have as many attachments as you alluded to earlier, but, at the moment, "manually" is the only way to compare things.

This discussion has been closed.