I would like to have one primary vault and share selected passwords with the team-is that possible?

mm0058
mm0058
Community Member

I don't want to have different versions of the passwords in different vaults. I'd like to have one master vault, and give access to certain passwords for certain team members. Can I do that?

If not, how can I ensure that there are not duplicate versions of a password?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Teams
Referrer: forum-search:If I update a password in one vault, is it updated in the other vaults?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't want to have different versions of the passwords in different vaults. I'd like to have one master vault, and give access to certain passwords for certain team members. Can I do that?

@mm0058: It isn't possible to share individual items, only vaults. The items in a vault are encrypted using the keys of those who have access to it, so granting someone access to a given vault means they have the means to decrypt all items therein.

If not, how can I ensure that there are not duplicate versions of a password?

What you mean by "duplicate versions"? Can you give an example? Thanks in advance! :)

• mm0058
    mm0058
    Community Member

For example, I would like to have access to the password for a certain site, and would like my virtual assistant to have access as well. If I update it in my vault, then it won't be updated in her vault. Any workaround for that problem?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@mm0058 sharing an item with your virtual assistant would require you to set up a vault that you share with them. Once you've done that, if you update the item on your end, it will also be updated on your assistant's end. That's one of the nice things about 1Password Teams: Everything is automatically kept in sync, no fussing about required :)

• mm0058
    mm0058
    Community Member

Can an item be in more than one vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Can an item be in more than one vault?

@mm0058: No. A single item cannot "belong" to multiple vaults. However, you can of course put copies of an item in more than one vault, but changes to these will be independent of each other.

Vaults are encrypted using keys for each person and account that has access to them, so it isn't possible for the items within to cross vault boundaries. But we'd definitely like to find a way to make it possible to share single items securely in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.