Updates on Mac not syncing to other platforms

Options
ClickCardo
ClickCardo
Community Member

I use my Mac 1PW mainly to add new 1PW entries via DB as well as modify old entries. I use other platforms mainly as a vehicle to use the entries from the Mac. I use several Windows pc's with both version 7 and 10 latest updates of os. I use both iphone and ipad ios 9.3.2, 6.4.2 1pw and 10.2.2 dropbox. I keep 1pw and dropbox always latest release versions up to date on all platforms.

Since at least 4/1/16 I've created several new entries, modified some entry titles and notes and just only modified the pw's of a few more. Since then I've never tried to use any of those on the other 1pw platforms, but have always successfully used prior entries. So it was only today I noticed that at least those changes since 4/1 have seemed to stay only on the Mac. I went to a pc and it seems to have many new entries in the dropbox 1pw folder, but of course cannot verify them 1 for 1. At lease 1, from yesterday, did not seem to get to the pc dropbox. ALL changes do seem to show in recents for the Mac DB recent folder from the menu bar drop down.

Not sure what to do next, but it isn't very reassure that this could go on for so long without my noticing it.

Any help fixing the problem and especially understanding how to prevent future similar problems would be most welcome.

1Password Version: 9.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ClickCardo,

I'm glad JasonDeFuria was able to help you find the problem! I don't know why Dropbox sync would have been disabled / switched to None, but that's not something that should normally happen. And if it does, you should get a notification / error message from 1Password on your Mac to let you know about that so you can fix the sync settings. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have received a notification about that this time, but hopefully it was a 1-time fluke. However, if sync stops working again and you find that it was disabled without any notification, please let us know and we'll be happy to to take a further look into that.

Also, when I set it to sync with my dropbox keychain it said it was going to MERGE the folders. When it is open there are already 800+ I guess would be local copy. I definitely want to make sure it doesn't duplicate all the old ones. How should I best proceed?

The reason you need to merge in order to re-enable sync is because there are 2 copies of your vault - the local copy on your Mac, and the copy in Dropbox. If you've made any changes in 1Password on your Mac since the last time it synced with Dropbox, the data on your Mac will be a little different than the data in Dropbox. When you merge, it will compare both copies of your vault and update Dropbox with any newer data from the Mac (and vice versa). It essentially does the same thing it normally does when it syncs (it looks for new data in one and adds it to the other). Any items that match in both vaults are left alone, so you shouldn't get any duplicates.

PS - with more research just noticed something about an OPTVAULT format the Help>Tools is check for OPTVAULT. Do I have to go through all that conversion on my ipad, iphone and other 6 windows pc's??? Should I? Will that cause/save future problems? Drobox still shows the KEYCHAIN folder/package. PLEASE REMEMBER I USE WINDOWS & iOS LOTS too.

The setting you found in the Help menu is simply for the format of any new sync files you create (for example, if you create a new vault in 1Password for Mac and sync it with Dropbox, it will need to create a new sync file). You don't need to worry about that because you already have an existing sync file in Dropbox, which is in the .agilekeychain format. The .opvault format is a bit newer, but the .agilekeychain file will continue to work just fine for you, so there's no need to switch.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ClickCardo,

Sorry for all the confusion! I'll be happy to clear this up by explaining how it works:

sync got set to NONE so the local copy is probably OPTVAULT

Those things are unrelated. 1Password for Mac stores your data locally in an SQLite database file. That SQLite file is stored within the Application Support folder on your Mac. When you open 1Password on your Mac, you're seeing the data stored in that SQLite file. This is all true regardless of whether or not you have any of the sync options enabled.

When you enable Dropbox sync for your vault in 1Password for Mac, it creates a new sync file in Dropbox (unless one already exists) which has a copy of your vault data. 1Password for Mac copies changes between the SQLite database file and the sync file in Dropbox. Even if the sync file were to suddenly disappear from Dropbox for some reason, 1Password would still work on your Mac because it reads from the local SQLite file.

The sync file that 1Password creates in Dropbox is either a .agilekeychain file or a .opvault file. They are simply two different sync formats. Either one will work well for syncing your data. The general differences are:

• Agile Keychain is an older format. It is more compatible with some older versions of 1Password, but is also fully compatible with the newest versions.
    • OPVault is a newer format, and is more advanced. It is fully compatible with the newest versions of 1Password, but is not supported by some older versions.

I seem to be stuck that Dropbox is still in agilekeychain and ALL other devices are syncing Dropbox.

You're not stuck at all: Your sync file in Dropbox is in the Agile Keychain format, and that will work with 1Password on all your Macs, iOS devices, and Windows PCs. You don't need to switch to the OPVault format.

So I do not even know where I am in converting to OPTVAULT since I seem to have not stopped SYNC on my own.

You're not converting anything, and you don't need to. Just keep using your existing Agile Keychain sync file which already exists in Dropbox. Honestly, you can forget you ever saw the OPVault option in 1Password for Mac, and you'll be just fine. :)

Again, I don't know why the sync preferences were disabled on your Mac, but it has nothing to do with the format of the sync file in Dropbox. Sync was turned off, and you just need to turn it back on again. When you turn it back on, choose your .agilekeychain file from Dropbox and click Merge with Existing, and sync will work again.

Does that help?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ClickCardo,

Glad I could help! Just a couple things to clarify:

1) Everything syncs in my DropBox to existing agilekeychain format.

Yes, that existing .agilekeychain file will work to sync your 1Password data between all your Macs, Windows PCs, and iOS devices.

2) Everything works on all platforms in their own local format. true iOS, etc., too?

The iOS version works the same way as the Mac version (it has a local copy of your 1Password data and uses the .agilekeychain file only for syncing purposes). But the Windows version of 1Password works differently: On Windows, 1Password reads directly from the .agilekeychain file. In other words, on Windows, the .agilekeychain file is also the main database (it doesn't keep a separate database like the Mac and iOS versions do).

3) the Help>Tools>Enable Optvault - option only concerns creating NEW VAULTS. So unless I specifically want to convert my DropBox vault to it whether the option is set or not is immaterial.

Exactly! :)

Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of how this all works now, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have more questions.

This discussion has been closed.