Can someone explain what makes pro worth $10 more a month?

tommyent
tommyent
Community Member

I had been telling clients that 1password Teams was the way to go. Part of what I sold them on is now pro only but the cost of pro compared to others is really high. Actually I don't know of anything that comes close to $15mo.

I know it's going to be a problem because they are paying that or less for things they use all day everyday. e.g. backups, Google Apps, Dropbox, Boxcryptor, MS Office etc. Something like 1Password some may use it every few days or less

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @tommyent! Thanks for posting about this. There's one thing you mentioned in your post, but requires a bit more explanation: The Earl special of the Pro plan is available until the end of July. Even better, it will stay around for all members you add to the account, so your team can grow evenly. As an early adopter, you'll have that plan for a good long while.

On that note, I'm curious what Pro features you would find yourself or your clients using? If they don't need their own team accounts, it may be worth adding them to your team that has the Earl special. Depending on what kind of clients they are, this would give you a chance to help them if they get locked out of their account, which comes in handy. I'd love to hear what you're looking for in the Pro plan, though. :)

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member

@penderworth thanks for the reply but everyone keep mentioning the early pricing but never explains what makes Pro 3x. Also I have read the pricing stays as long as the account stays in good standing. Let's be realistic sometimes bills don't get paid on time for many reasons. Coming back to 3 times the cost is not going to feel so good.

Needs/wants vary but reporting and groups are probably the most important. Adding them to my account does not make sense. The last thing I want is to have to handle ~150 users, billing etc.

Only one jumped in on the beta the others chose to wait for launch which I guess was a good thing. One is still using spreadsheets and emailing them :chuffed: another I think is going with Lastpass and the other Dashlane. The rest have existing solutions. When people are paying $0 to $40 (I think that's Dashlane business) a year I had to explain why 1Password was worth the extra $20-$60 and I could to a point. At $140 to $180 more per person I'm lost.

Just thought of one other things as I was typing that. 1Password at the $20-$60 more was a "the premium product" but now with Pro it's not. Which may explain one of the reactions I got earlier. They didn't need any of the Pro feature but still said no which was strange because they seemed really stoked about going with Teams.

P.S. The early pricing doesn't help down the road. I've been suggesting 1Password for years

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tommyent,

First of all, I wanted to thank you for being a long-time advocate of 1Password - you rock! We’re honoured that you’ve been encouraging your clients to keep their data secure and pointing them to 1Password as a solid option.

So, let’s talk pricing. You’re right, we haven’t given you a straight answer here, but that’s because it’s really not a simple question. First, we do our best not to define ourselves based on what the ‘other guys’ are doing. So you won’t find any ‘us’ vs ‘them’ charts on our site comparing features and pricing. We believe that it is up to us to demonstrate enough value to make 1Password worth your hard-earned money, independent of external factors.

And, I’ll be honest, it’s been a big challenge determining how to price 1Password Teams to make it affordable for teams of all types. It is one of our goals at 1Password to make simple security an option for everyone, and we thought long and hard about how to structure the pricing for 1Password Teams to make that possible. Here are some of the things that I think make 1Password worth the investment:

Usability and design

We’ve spent a lot of time ensuring that 1Password Teams is beautiful and accessible. Well-designed software is just more pleasing to use, and an accessible user-experience ensures that your team can get up and running quickly. In business, time is money, and any time that you’re not wasting training your team how to use a system is time that you all can spend being productive. Even the most secure solution in the world is useless if your team isn’t using it. Simple-to-use software means that your team will have no trouble taking advantage of 1Password’s rock-solid security.

Reliable technology, backed by an experienced team

We’ve been building 1Password for 10 years now (in fact, 1Password for Mac version 1.0 was released on June 18, 2006!). Since then, 1Password has grown to support Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android, with each app lovingly maintained by a dedicated team of developers. We’ve learned a lot over the past decade and we’re continually iterating and improving the apps, which is evident in our changelogs. This passion for building clean and usable apps extends to the technology that supports 1Password Teams as well. We’ve put enormous effort into ensuring that your data is always secure and available for you when you need it, and we’re listening to the feedback we get from users to help us make 1Password Teams more powerful and user-friendly.

Now, you’ll notice that a lot of what I’m talking about here doesn’t apply specifically to the Pro plan. Obviously I’m biased, but I’ve been watching our team build this for what seems like ages now, and I think there is so much value packed into even the basic package that it warrants mentioning.

When it comes to going the extra mile for the Pro plan, some of the features listed there do have obvious cost implications: it costs more to offer each team member 5x the storage space, and it costs more to ensure that we have the support coverage available for that priority support queue. And obviously you see some value in features like custom groups and the activity monitor, since that’s what has been a selling point for you, and your clients. Again, it will be up to you (or your clients) to determine if the extra value added by these powerful features is worth the cost.

Of course, as I mentioned earlier, user feedback is crucial in helping us build and improve 1Password across all platforms. If you’d like to talk further about the features of 1Password Teams and where your clients are finding the most value, please drop us a line at support@1password.com.

• roustem
    edited June 2016

In addition to the features that Megan mentioned:

• priority support
    • 5x storage
    • unlimited item history
    • custom groups and roles
    • detailed activity log

the Pro plan will be getting more features that differentiate it from the Standard.

At the moment, we felt that there is no need for us to open all the cards because of the early adopter special that gives everyone access to Pro features :)

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member

Thanks guys.

• You're welcome, @tommyent. Thanks for the discussion. :) We're here if you have any other questions.

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@roustem regarding storage (and maybe this should have been a new thread) it says 5GB "per person". If I upload 1GB and share it with another user does it count towards both of our quotas? I've seen both pricing models around (dropbox vs google drive for instance).

• @hesspaul It does not count duplicates. If the item was copied to another vault then the file usage should not be incremented.

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member

Hello,

I've searched a bit but can't find this 'activity monitor' or 'detailed activity log' you've mentioned. No sign of it via the app or web interface, in the help etc. Where is it please ?

We're running Teams with latest releases and should have Pro access. Maybe that's not been set correctly, which could explain why I can't find the activity monitor (just guessing). Or perhaps I'm just not holding it right ;)

Thanks
    :nudge>

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member

... so while I'm waiting for help ( yeah I realise it's mostly Sunday ;-) I continued looking around the web interface and the OSX app and I noticed that it doesn't seem to state my service level, Pro or otherwise anywhere (although in the iOS app settings it does). I can't seem to set up my timezone either. Users have a last activity time displayed but it doesn't indicate which timezone is used.

I thought I might find some answers using a defaults read -app "1Password 6" terminal command but didn't find anything interesting in there either.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@nudge we're hoping to introduce the activity log soon; it's one of the Pro features that our team's been hard at work on but isn't quite ready for prime-time yet.

I continued looking around the web interface and the OSX app and I noticed that it doesn't seem to state my service level, Pro or otherwise anywhere (although in the iOS app settings it does)

I suspect that 1Password for iOS is referring to the Pro features unlocked in that app, not a subscription to 1Password Teams' Pro plan. You can view what plan you're using by...

1. Signing in to your account on 1Password.com
    2. Using the Account menu to access the Billing page
    3. Checking out the "Account details" section on the left

I can't seem to set up my timezone either. Users have a last activity time displayed but it doesn't indicate which timezone is used.

1Password Teams should automatically use your timezone :)

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member

Yeah fine thanks, but honestly, I think you should do your best to get this out, there's a need for support tools IMO.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Yeah fine thanks, but honestly, I think you should do your best to get this out, there's a need for support tools IMO.

I suspect that our development team is doing its best to get this out :)

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member

So it's okay to not include the Pro features yet since early adopters didn't pay extra for it, or something along those lines.

Also, it's not 100% clear when the ~300% price increase for Pro features is scheduled to kick in for us early adopters.

Careful, customer loyalty (the stuff you'll need to support your pricing strategy) can be dented by these things.

Just saying :o)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

So it's okay to not include the Pro features yet since early adopters didn't pay extra for it, or something along those lines.

Several features of the Pro plan, such as extra storage and additional guests, are already available. Other features are being released as they're ready for prime-time. We'd rather take the time to develop features that work than rush something out the door to check a box.

Also, it's not 100% clear when the ~300% price increase for Pro features is scheduled to kick in for us early adopters.

As long as your account remains in good standing (there are no lapses in subscription or failed payments) never! That's the nice thing about Earl's Early Deal. It is a permanent discount that makes the Pro plan cost the same amount as the Standard plan for early adopters.

Careful, customer loyalty (the stuff you'll need to support your pricing strategy) can be dented by these things.

I'm afraid I don't understand how offering a huge, lifetime discount on a service marketed specifically to businesses can "dent" customer loyalty simply because some of the features of the Pro plan aren't immediately available as soon as the service exited beta.

Just saying :o)

Me too :)

• nudge
    nudge
    Community Member

Thanks for the information. Thing is, customers are always right. In this case the customer was right because he was uninformed. Now since he's come here for clarification (which you've kindly provided) he knows more and if anything, is more right than before. Any potential customer loyalty can be influenced by his perception of the service. Communication is key.

Hopefully you understand ;o)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@nudge I agree that communication is key. That's why I clarified our thinking in the posts above :)

I also think we're pretty clear about the status of the activity log:

But that feature will be coming sooner rather than later, so it'll be a moot point in the not-too-distant future ;)

• ajbool
    ajbool
    Community Member

Some personal feedback for AgileBits on this. Having been a long time 1Password user and spending today looking around at the available "password managers for teams" market - I signed up for Pro membership today under the Early Deal. However, I really don't see the value in the Pro account at the 3x cost increase. The main hook for Pro - for me - is the forthcoming Audit stream which I feel is essential for a team-based password management system - but if the Standard pricing (perhaps plus 40%) didn't offer that; I probably would have opted for another solution.

• @ajbool Thank you for the feedback. I can see what you mean. I'm curious: If you could choose additional features at, say, $1 a month each, would you do that? It's not something we're planning, but I'm just wondering for the sake of discussion.

Also, have you tried the new activity log feature? It's available now in your Team Settings page under Options if you'd like to test it. :)

This discussion has been closed.