Firefox extension installation error: "Certificate issuer is not built-in."

Options
shillbot
shillbot
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

I just installed the latest update of 1Password, and now the browser extension for Firefox will not install. It fails with the following error.

1466110291800 addons.xpi WARN Download of https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.5.6.xpi failed: [Exception... "Certificate issuer is not built-in." nsresult: "0x80004004 (NS_ERROR_ABORT)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm :: checkCert :: line 171" data: no] Stack trace: checkCert()@resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm:171 < AddonInstall.prototype.onStopRequest()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:5833

Thanks,
-- shailar

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@shillbot what version of Firefox are you using?

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shillbot ,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting 1Password and Firefox to play nicely together. Could you tell us (as Stephen asked) which version of Firefox you're using? This will ensure that we're seeing the same thing you are when we test. :)

• shillbot
    shillbot
    Community Member
    Options

Version 47 of Firefox.

I always use the latest version (within a couple of days).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @shillbot! I just removed the 1Password extension from Firefox 47 so I could try installing it again, and it worked correctly for me, so I'm not sure why you're getting that error.

If I understand, it sounds like you had been using the 1Password extension in Firefox before you installed the 6.3.1 update of the main 1Password app. If so, the 1Password extension should still be installed in Firefox, because an update to the main app doesn't make any changes to the installation of the browser extension. Can you please elaborate on why you're trying to reinstall the extension in Firefox? Did you uninstall the extension, or did it seem to disappear from the Firefox toolbar?

In Firefox, please go to Tools > Add-ons. Do you see the 1Password extension listed there? If so, which version is it?

Once we know a bit more about why you're trying to reinstall the extension and whether or not any version of the extension is currently installed, I think we should have a better idea how to get things working again. Thanks in advance! :)

• shillbot
    shillbot
    Community Member
    Options

When I installed the latest version of 1Password, the primary application installed just fine, and it still works, as does the extension in Chrome. But the update to Firefox failed with that certificate error.

So I removed the extension, and tried to re-install it, but I continue to get the same error.

Does it not like the certificate authority?

Thanks!
    -- shailar

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shillbot, it's possible you are on to something there. Do you have any "security" software installed on your Mac? Some of that kind of software actually performs a man-in-the-middle attack and channels all your traffic through it's own signed certificate. This will break the chain of trust and you can get problems like the one you describe. I'm not sure that is the case, but at this point the first thing I would do is disable any "security" software and try installing the extension again to test my theory.

• shillbot
    shillbot
    Community Member
    Options

@khad, temporarily disabling the virus scanner worked (Avast).

It has never interfered with the installation before, but they recently updated the engine, and this time, it apparently did interfere.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shillbot: Thanks for letting us know! I'm glad that helped. Just to confirm, now that the 1Password extension is installed, are things working properly? I suspect that they might not, either now or in the future. Just to build on what khad mentioned, it sounds like the cause may be Avast's "Web Shield" feature. You should be able to disable just that feature instead of disabling the antivirus software completely. That way it won't break any of your secure connections to websites, not just for the purposes of 1Password. Cheers! :)

• shillbot
    shillbot
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, it appears to be working OK so far.

But if I have problems again in the future, I'll know where to look first.

Thanks!
    -- shailar

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Shalier (@shillbot),

On behalf of brenty, you're welcome! I hope that 1Password and the extension behave from now on, but if you bump into any other issues, we're always here to help! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.