Allow group manager to manage group membersip and permissions

wilrnh
wilrnh
Community Member

I have a team member that I assigned as a group manager for a custom group. I want that group manager to be able to add/remove users in the group, and also edit their permissions - manager vs member. Having them being able to edit vault permissions in the group would be useful as well.

However, none of this seems possible right now. The group manager does not see a "Groups" button as I would as an owner/admin. Is this a bug? Or is there additional configuration I have to apply to the group manager?

Thanks for any help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Allow Group Manager to manage group membership and permissions

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wilrnh,

You're almost there! It sounds like you just need to make that group manager an Admin. You can do this by adding them to the Admin group.

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help you with! :)

• wilrnh
    wilrnh
    Community Member

Hi Vee,

Does an admin have permissions to edit all groups in the entire team? If so, I don't think it is safe to make a group manager an admin; would there be another option available?

Thanks for your help!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

@wilrnh,

An admin does have permission to edit all groups.

A group manager should have permission to add/remove users from the group and change their roles. However, I have spotted the problem. If they aren't also an admin or owner, they won't see the Admin Console in their account.

Let me see what we can do about fixing that! :)

For now, you would either need to [trust them enough to] make them an admin, or an admin would need to make those changes for the group manager.
    ref: B5-1748

• emilr
    emilr
    Community Member

@khad That "trust thing" doesn't scale infinitely ;-)

It's important for us to allow our managers to support their own people. Therefore the managers are all admins, so that they can onboard new team members (Manage All Groups is necessary).

It would indeed be awesome if you could fix it, so that there would be a concept of Manage Selected Groups. Or similar concept.

Let me know your thoughts?

• @emilr This is now possible with custom groups, which are available to 1Password Teams Pro users. You can create a custom group and give them access to the Admin Console, then they can use their management ability on the other group to manage it from the Admin Console. Let me know how that goes! :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

If it helps:

• emilr
    emilr
    Community Member

@khad & @Jacob Yes! Thank you. That was the missing piece. Works like a charm!

Best regards
    Emil

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@emilr,

Fantastic! I know Jacob will be just as happy as I am that we were able to give you just what you were hoping for. Have a wonderful holiday!

This discussion has been closed.