Beta app won't open second time

dszp
dszp
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I had the old OneClick beta installed from a few weeks ago and when I opened it it prompted to download the HockeyApp beta. I uninstalled the old, installed the new, and opened. Unlocked, seemed to be OK but no data was shown (I have a Families account and Dropbox vault, synced from the old beta still, both were still listed in the vaults dropdown but no data would display regardless of which I selected). I did choose to make it the default for browser filling when prompted. After checking out the settings, I closed settings and chose to Sync again from the menu dropdown and it froze. I closed it, forced it closed when it still hung, and tried to reopen. It won't even attempt to reopen now. I've tried killing the process (every time I try to launch it it runs a 1Password for Windows desktop process that sticks around for each attempt until I kill it). I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and it still won't open, no change. Meanwhile I can't fill in the browser because I changed the default and 1Password 4 seems to not be filling :-) (I had the stable version but I'm installing the latest version 4-605 beta, but haven't finished installing/rebooting yet).

Thoughts? Can I wipe out all the config from the beta of 6 so when I launch it I have to reconfigure my Teams account and/or Dropbox (read only is fine), which I assume will work once what's stuck from the old version is cleared?

1Password Version: 6 Beta
Extension Version: 4.5.7.3
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Dropbox & Families

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dszp, it's hard to say what exactly wen't wrong when you switched to the HockeyApp beta, but I think the quickest fix is to start fresh and wipe your old data. To do this, open the "run" desktop app by opening your start menu and searching for "run". Next, paste %localappdata% and click ok to run the command.

in the new folder that opens, delete the file (or rename) the 20160514.sqlite file. Now, when you open 1Password 6, you should see the welcome page and be able to reconfigure your 1Password account.

Let me know if this helps :)

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

Update: Rebooted, the beta 6 app opened again. Logged in, tried to go to Account->Families account->Sign Out and did the same for Dropbox account. It worked VERY slowly but I went ahead and signed out, removed the .sqlite file you mentioned (which I found earlier after my post but didn't modify at the time...it was almost 12MB). I removed the .sqlite file and signed back in to Families just now and it worked fine, loaded entries and the .sqlite file grew to about 245KB, as I don't have many entries there. I re-opened my Dropbox vault and it's still thinking, but I suspect it'll work just be very slow since I have over 1k entries and it's always been slow, both in 1Password 4 and the 6 Betas :-) It's been 3-4 minutes and it's still not responsive but I suspect it's loading the data still. It must not write the cache to the .sqlite DB until after it loads the whole vault in memory because the file hasn't grown yet.

Thanks @mohamedosman!

• Hi @dszp,

Yep, it's still downloading the items into the local cache before it writes to the database. One thing is that it won't refresh the interface once it is done, you have to switch vaults to force it to redraw, which will be fixed later.

As it has been a while since your last update, is it working now?

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@MikeT it did finish syncing eventually and display everything, a vault switch worked. However, it's still as slow or slower than version 4 (with Dropbox at least--there are only a few items in Families so I have no idea what the speed would be if I moved everything over there, which is of course the eventual goal). So I've kept it closed since. Though the latest 4 beta this morning unlocked so slowly I almost considered switching back...and it's back to frequently having a second ghost window (which I've discussed on the forums and via email support before, then it stopped for a while) and the favorites list won't reorder even with the right-click commands to do so, another open issue from a while ago that we never resolved (and in fact the Windows beta 4 app displays the favorites list in a different order than the iOS app!). Still usable though :-)

• Hi @dszp,

We haven't done any performance optimizations yet, there are a lot of processes that is still happening that can be reduced and/or eliminated over time as we continue to iterate our code.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

Sure, I understand, just not able to do much testing with a database as large as mine yet when I can barely wait for the version 4 app to respond when trying to get TOTP codes especially...I'll autofill a webpage (which usually works (even while the GUI is hanging to load the list after logging in) and isn't super slow) but to get the TOTP code it's often faster to open the iOS app and type it in :-) Nothing new there, just excited for the new thing being usable soon. Would it be likely to be faster if I moved everything to Families, or would it be as slow as Dropbox is?

• Hi @dszp,

Right now, it wouldn't be faster because the amount of data is the main factor and you'd make it worse if you retain the current local vault as it'd double in size. Not to mention, you'd want to retain the local vault to sync the current changes from local vault to your 1Password account to keep both in sync.

However, Families would be much faster at syncing since we're handling the calls directly and know what needs to be updated. No conversion either, so changes come up faster.

You would still need to maintain your current local vaults as migrations are not fully optimized yet. If you don't need to use Families right now, I'd wait until later when the app is stabilized such as displaying the TOTP codes as it doesn't do that now.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@MikeT That helps, thanks. If I switched to Families I would remove the Dropbox vault from the beta app entirely and use only Families, so it sounds like performance would improve. I can use Families on iOS and Mac now just fine and I'd migrate all the data on the Mac most likely since it should be best supported there. However, not displaying the TOTP codes is a deal-breaker for now, but I might try the migration and switch once that starts working! (Hopefully with a shortcut key to copy the code for the current site to the clipboard like auto-fill works now to fill, hint ;-) I haven't been able to test the browser integration with the new app yet (though I saw it's supposed to be there), because of the speed issues. Thanks again for the details!

• Hi @dszp,

Yes, the 1Password 6 Beta desktop app supports basic Login filling with the browser extensions and you can click on the 1Password icon to fill or to right-click on the page to select 1Password to fill. No shortcut support yet, it's planned for a future beta update.

Just to be clear, the Windows 10 Store version of 1Password 6 Beta does support rending the TOTP digits, the desktop version will get it soon.

This discussion has been closed.