1P6.3 not auto-locking

MrC
MrC
Volunteer Moderator
edited May 2016 in Mac

This morning, when I woke up my system for the first time, 1Password was unlocked.

A few minutes ago, after having been away from the system for about 15 minutes, 1Password was unlocked.

My auto-lock timeout is set to 5 minutes. But I don't think this is working reliably with this, or perhaps recent beta releases.

Edit: just tested again. Away 20 minutes, computer and monitor was asleep. On wake 1P was still open and unlocked.

1Password 6
Version 6.3 (630032)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: WiFI

Comments

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

I've seen this a few times recently but wasn't absolutely sure the 1Password app was quit so never reported. However today, I was absolutely certain that it was quit when I opened without having to enter my password. It's random and once I quit after seeing this behavior, it open locked.

I do have my preferences set to Lock when main window is closed.

The only other report I see is this one from 2015.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/53864/macbook-pro-when-i-exit-1password-and-then-restart-app-it-opens-up-no-pwd-required?

I believe this all started in Beta 5 for El Capitan.

1Password Version: 6
    Extension Version: 6.3 (630032)
    OS Version: 10.11.6 Beta (15G7b)
    Sync Type: DropBox

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reporting this, @Dianeoforegon.

It can be hard to track something like this down without reproducible steps, but we'll see if we can figure out what happened on your machine. :)

1Password mini is the process that controls the locking and unlocking of 1Password. This includes the main app as well as 1Password mini when opened from your menu bar, the Option-Command-\ keyboard shortcut, or by clicking the 1Password button in your browser.

Could you post a screenshot of your auto-lock settings? Mine, for example, are only set to lock 1Password when I put my Mac to sleep. So, no matter what I do, 1Password will remain unlocked across restarts of the main app (since 1Password mini is running in the background and still unlocked) until I close the lid on my MacBook Air.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

If the main app is quit, do I also need to quit the mini? I've never had to do that before.

My auto-lock settings:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dianeoforegon,

Thanks so much for sharing those settings with us.

If the main app is quit, do I also need to quit the mini?

You have ‘Lock when main window is closed’ selected, so whenever you close the main 1Password app, your Master Password will be required the next time you access your 1Password database, whether you do so by re-opening the main app, or by using 1Password mini or the browser extension. You do not need to quit mini to lock 1Password.

With these settings, you should not be able to open the main app without using your Master Password.

It sounds like you’re sure the app is quit, but I’m curious: when you are dismissing the app, are you using ⌘Q, clicking on the red ‘x’, or are you hiding or minimizing the app? If you’re not hiding or minimizing the app, we might be able to get a bit of insight into what’s going on here by checking out a Diagnostics Report.

The next time you notice this, please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Thanks for reporting that, @MrC! I merged your post with this other thread as it sounds like they are related.

Could you email us a Diagnostics Report as well? We may be able to see some commonalities between log entries in your report and Dianeoforegon's.

Is it 100% reproducible for you? Maybe change the timeout to 1 minute to make it easier to test. I have not been able to reproduce any bugs with auto-lock in my own testing, but if you can reproduce it every time on your machine that could make it easier to track down.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016

@khad,

It seems to reproduce easily; it just happened again. What is odd, however, is shortly after I used 1P's Tools menu to get to the diagnostic report, ran the utility, and email it, as soon as I switched to 1Ps open preferences menu, it auto-locked. This happened earlier today too.

I'll test more w/1 min.

Edit: I sent the timeout to 1 minute - 4 minutes later, still no lock.

Edit 2: 15 minutes later, still no lock, and again, as soon as I open Prefs, the lock happens.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Isn't that the way it always goes? As soon as you look at it, it starts behaving. :)

Thanks for the Diagnostics Report. We'll take a look.
    ref: HKG-22127-666

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@khad - no it is not behaving. Did I have a typo?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@MrC, sorry. I was just commenting on the fact that you said it auto-locked after you generated the Diagnostics Report. Like it knew you were starting to investigate its incorrect behavior and tried to shape up for a moment.

Obviously, it isn't working as expected. We're on the case. Thanks for sending in the report!

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

Since reporting, I have not experienced the problem. However in the past it was not something that happened every time I opened 1Password. Will send report when it does happen.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dianeoforegon,

Glad to hear it hasn't happened in a few days or so! But it sounds like this issue can be a bit sporadic, so it's difficult to tell for sure if it's going to happen again. If/when it does happen, please send us a diagnostics report and we'll be happy to see if we can figure out what's going on. Thanks in advance! :)

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

Happened again. Sending Troubleshooting report.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Dianeoforegon!

I took a quick look in our system, but I didn't find a new email from the address from your forum account. Did you receive a response from the BitBot assistant? If so, please let us know the ticket ID from that email so we can track your report down and make sure it gets answered quickly. Thanks!

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

Support ID is [#ARI-75891-931]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Dianeoforegon! I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: ARI-75891-931

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

It's certainly a strange bug. Since it's not repeatable, I know it will be hard to track down.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That might make it a little tricky to figure out, but we'll do our best! :)

This discussion has been closed.