How to add personal account to team

Options
pstocks
pstocks
Community Member

While in my 30 day evaluation period for my personal 1Password, I joined a development group that gave me a Team license.
I never bought my own license. Though I've been adding to my personal vault.
When I download the iphone app or log into your site I only see the team vault not my personal vault.
I would gladly pay for a personal license to have access to my personal vault on my IPhone ...
I don't see any way to 'add a personal license' to my existing Team license.
I'm running 6.3 on a Mac.

P:)

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pstocks,

I'm glad to hear that you're using 1Password and enjoying it! First of all, I'd like to tell you a bit more about 1Password and the the two different ways in which it can work. In one hand, you can have a standalone license. In this case you save your data locally on your devices, and set up a syncing method by yourself. In the other hand there is 1Password Families or Teams. Your data is hosted on our servers, so it is available without any extra effort, just by adding your account to your device. You can even access it on a browser on any computer! This is a subscription service, and the one that you have with your Team. It sounds like the trial that you started was of the first kind. The main clue to check it is to see whether the vault is called Primary or Personal. If it's "Primary" then it's stored locally on your computer, if it's "Personal" then it's part of an account :smile:

In case what I guessed before is correct, if you want to use 1Password for personal use along with your team you have two options. You can either keep on using 1Password on a local level and set up syncing with your phone by yourself or you can get a Family account. Now, while the first option wouldn't cost you any extra money, keep in mind that it would only be available for you for as long as you are part of the Team, and that you wouldn't have as much functionality as you do with the data that is part of the Team, so you'll have to see what works best for you! You can read more about 1Password Families here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with! :chuffed:

• pstocks
    pstocks
    Community Member
    Options

Pilar,
    "keep in mind that it would only be available for you for as long as you are part of the Team"
    This is what concerns me.
    I would like to buy just a personal license for myself, (I have no need for Families just need iCloud syncing so I can access the vault from my iphone), so when I leave the team I'm on I will not lose access to my personal data even for a brief period of time.
    I don't want to have to 'deal with it' at a later time when I leave the current Team I'm on. I'd like to own my data now and not have it affected in any way by my status on a Team.
    If I had purchased a license before I was added to the team would things be different?
    Should I just have the Team admin boot me out of the team ... let me buy my own license and then add me back?

P:)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pstocks welcome to the forums :)

I would like to buy just a personal license for myself, (I have no need for Families just need iCloud syncing so I can access the vault from my iPhone), so when I leave the team I'm on I will not lose access to my personal data even for a brief period of time.

You can purchase a license for yourself at any time. You simply won't have to apply that license unless you leave your team. :) Just make sure you hold on to the email -- or at least remember what email address you give when you buy it -- for when that day comes.

If I had purchased a license before I was added to the team would things be different?

Yes, but that doesn't mean we can't sort this out now!

Should I just have the Team admin boot me out of the team ... let me buy my own license and then add me back?

Nah, that sounds like a lot of work. Let's try something different instead.

1. Purchase a license from the AgileBits store. Keep it in a safe place!
    2. On your Mac, go to Preferences > Advanced > and check the box next to "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts"
    3. Set up syncing via iCloud on your Mac by going to Preferences > Sync > Primary and selecting iCloud from the dropdown menu
    4. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vault > Enter your Master Password > Sync with iCloud
    5. Save personal information to your Primary vault rather than your Personal vault or other vaults managed by your team
    6. When the time comes, find the email with your license and apply it to 1Password for Mac

Presto change-o, you have personal information with no connection to your team account, and an easy way to ensure that you never lose access to that data even if you're removed from your team :)

• pstocks
    pstocks
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott
    thanks, but I'm not comfortable with 'Keep it in a safe place!'.
    I know the 'event' will happen when I'm least prepared (on the road) and have totally forgotten about this whole weird situation.
    I'll bribe the Team admin into removing me and putting me back in after I'm in control of my own vault.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pstocks,

You don't need to keep it in a safe place. We'll keep track of it for you. All you need to do is enter the email address associated with the license purchase, and we'll resend it to you at any time. We've been doing this for 10 years. We'll be around and ready to send your license whenever you need it at any point in the future. ;)

It's even the top hit in a Google search for "1Password resend license" to make it easy to find:

https://agilebits.com/store/licenses

Although, if it were me, I'd simply buy the license when I needed it. Who knows? Maybe it will be even cheaper (or simply on sale) when you actually need it.

This discussion has been closed.