I can't open almost any attachment

stefanodottori
stefanodottori
Community Member

Hi , i can't see my attachment in the teh most recent version of 1Password for Android , when i open try to open the attachment , is show the following error message:

"Error - Please send this error so that we can help you."
INTERNAL ERROR: Cannot decrypt attachment some-name.jpg([EncryptionException (cannot validate HMAC) ])

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Thank you for reporting this error @stefanodottori! I have been looking into this particular error for a few days now, but I haven’t figured out what’s causing it. I am hoping you can help, so we can get this fixed as quickly as possible.

First, let’s figure out if this issue is related to how the attachment files were encrypted. Do you remember approximately when you attached this file? Did you attach it using a Mac or Windows computer?

Just as a quick test to see if this helps, could you remove the attachment file from one of your affected items and re-add it using the latest versions of 1Password for Mac or Windows?

Let’s continue from there!

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hi @saad ,thanks for your quick reply.
    I tested in some of my items that have a attachment , only the attachment of dropbox , 1Passoword for Android recognized successfully , this attachment have a .png extension.

About your 1 question:

• I don't remember exactly when i added any attachment , but i am going to check any item with a attachment , and test what you are asking for
      Ab
      About the 2 question :

• All the attachments were added by the 1Password for Mac App Store:

I will try the quick test and let you know the results
    Thanks for your help

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member

Hi @saad , i just finished the quick test you ask for me to do and worked ,now i can see the attachment with any error message appearing :chuffed:
    About the 1 question ,
    I just saw when i created the item used for the quick test, and it was created in 03/13/2016 at 8:21 PM and modified today as 11:29 PM

I have another question:

Do i have to do this for all my items that have a attachment on it ?

Thanks

• @stefanodottori Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I took your information and I tried a few things on my end to see if I could replicate the issue.

Based on the timeframe of when you created the item (March 2016), we had just released 1Password 6.1 for Mac. I used this version to create a new OPVault folder and attached multiple types of attachment files. They all loaded fine on my Android device. Just for extra kicks, I tried the same with 1Password 6.0.1 and 6.0 releases. Still not seeing the issue. :(

Are you seeing this problem with any other attachments in your vault? I would also like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hi @saad , i'm still seeing problems with all my attachments except the item , that i used for the quick test.
    I can't see my others attachments , time i try to see the attachment.
    The attachment doesn't load and shows same error message from the beginning of this discussion

Also another question : what is the Tombstones from the Diagnostics Report ?

Below is the Support ID number from BitBot Assitant :+1:
    [#CUL-44954-699]

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stefanodottori: Thanks for checking that. Tombstones are for deleted data. I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: CUL-44954-699

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi Saad, Brenty …
    I had had similar problems — When first trying to open attachments (.jpg) I tried using my standard gallery viewer (QuickPic). It opened the first image I'd added but refused to display the others. Using the stock Android viewer worked with no problems at all.
    Cheers,
    Rob

• @rjh Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I downloaded the QuickPic app, but I still am not seeing the issue, unfortunately. :( I worked with stefanodottori over email and we found that re-creating the OPVault folder using 1Password for Mac resolved the issue. Based on the error message, the problem seems to be around how the files were attached originally.

Just to confirm, are you still seeing Cannot decrypt attachment when attempting to open an image from 1Password using QuickPic?

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hi @saad ,
    In the meantime, I decided to upgrade to the OPVault. However, QuickPic will still only display the first image I added, the other two appear as a black rectangle — of the correct size (so the basic date is available), but still 'invisible'.
    I do not get an error message.
    If I copy the same jpg's to my phone or Dropbox, I can view them with no problems whatsoever.
    Regards,
    Rob

• Thanks Rob, that clarifies that this is a different issue! It gets me wondering if this problem is with QuickPic not able to open the file since the data is there and the native Android viewer is able to open it. Does this only happen with JPG files?

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @saad , Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification that you'd answered.
    The 'problem' doesn't seem to manifest itself when I add .png's — even large images.
    I've replaced all of my images and can view them without any problems in QuickPic.

• @rjh awesome to hear .png images open just fine in QuickPic! Thanks for the update :)

This discussion has been closed.