Confused about sharing.

asimpleusername
asimpleusername
Community Member

I have an iMac. I have an iPad. My wife has an iPad. I have 1Password on all three devices. I shared a vault with my wife who only owns her iPad. My question is........How does my wife share a vault with me?

We only have the one iMac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @asimpleusername,

Thanks for asking about this.

You can perform the exact same steps to share a third vault (in addition to your vault and the one you already shared). The steps to share a vault are the same no matter how many vaults you want to share. Perhaps I'm missing an important part of the question, though. :)

How did you share the first vault?

• Are you using 1Password Families?
    • Or are you sharing it using Dropbox?
  • asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

I used Dropbox to share my vault. I did this from my iMac. I just can't figure out how to share my wife's vault due to the fact that she has an iPad and not an iMac.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming that, @asimpleusername. To add a new vault on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you’ll first need to share the vault from your Mac or Windows PC. Follow the steps here:

Share a vault using Dropbox

It should be exactly the same as you did for the other vault. :)

If you have any trouble, don't hesitate to let me know which step you are stuck on. If I know where you're getting stuck, I can provide more specific assistance. :+1:

Cheers!

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

I still don't get it. The vault is on my wife's iPad. Not on my iMac.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion, @asimpleusername. The process normally starts on a Mac or Windows PC where you can put the vault exactly where you want it. On iOS, the vaults are just placed in the same folder automatically. And you'll see that the sharing still needs to be set up on the Dropbox website.

1. Set up Dropbox syncing for that vault in 1Password on her iPad.
    2. Make sure the vault is in a subfolder in her Dropbox account. You may need to move it.
    3. Share the folder containing the vault from her Dropbox account to yours. She can do this on the Dropbox.com website.
    4. Then you can access the folder in your Dropbox folder on your Mac where you can double-click the vault to add it to 1Password for Mac: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/?mac#access-a-shared-vault
  • asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

I do not see how to "Set up Dropbox syncing for that vault in 1Password on her iPad"

I am completely and utterly confused by this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@asimpleusername,

I thought you were already familiar with that part since you said you had set up a shared vault already. Please accept my apologies for not including this link that explains how to sync with Dropbox in 1Password for iOS:

https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/sync-with-dropbox.html

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

The Shared Vault doesn't show up

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@asimpleusername,

Can you help me understand what you mean when you say it "doesn't show up"?

You said: "The vault is on my wife's iPad." Is she able to unlock 1Password on her iPad and see the items in the vault that she is trying to share?

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

Well.....there is not a vault on her iPad I guess but basically she wants to share all her passwords with me and i have been trying all night to do it. Sharing from my iMac to her iPad was easy. Sharing the passwords from her iPad to my 1password I can't figure out. I've tried everything.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@asimpleusername,

Let's back up a second. :)

Do you just want to have one vault with everything of yours and hers in it? Or do you want to have separate ones? Like a personal vault of your own (and she could have her own personal vault) but then you'd have a third vault that was shared between the two of you.

I also want to mention that sharing is two-way. That means, if you already shared a vault with her, then she should be able to create and edit items in the vault you already shared with her. Or perhaps you haven't shared a vault yet?

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

OK. I have 1password on my iMac and iPad. She has 1password on her iPad. I shared a vault from my 1password app on the iMac using dropbox.

My problem is. I do not know how to create and share a vault from her 1password app on her iPad to my 1password app on my iMac/ipad.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@asimpleusername,

When you shared the vault from 1Password on your Mac, did you ever open that vault on her iPad (or on any other device)? Or is it still waiting to be added to another device?

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

I have my passwords in a vault on my iMac and iPad via 1password.

She has passwords she wants to share with me. They are on her iPad via 1password.

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

From my iMac to her iPad is done and works perfectly. I shared it and it worked as expected. She now has access to my passwords. I just don't know how to share her passwords from her iPad to my iPad / iMac

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@asimpleusername,

It sounds like nothing has actually been shared yet. If you create or edit an item, is there any way for your wife to access it yet? If not, then nothing has been shared.

Did you mean to say that you merely set up Dropbox syncing between your own Mac and iPad (and not shared anything with your wife)?

Do you just want to have one vault with everything of yours and hers in it? Or do you want a separate vault for shared items?

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

I want separate vaults.

On my wife iPad she now has a Primary vault and a John Password Vault. She has full access to both Primary and the John Password vaults. Full access.

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

It's after 2am. I have been working on this for hours. I have to give up.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@asimpleusername,

No worries. We can pick back up whenever it is convenient for you. :+1:

Honestly, it sounds like everything is already set up perfectly. If you just think of the "John Password" vault as the shared vault, then you and she can both put items there that you want to share. Then you can each use your Primary vaults for private items that you don't want to share.

If she wants to move items into the shared vault, she can do so like this:

1. Tap the item you wish to move. The item details will appear.
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the item’s details and tap Move and Copy.

3. Tap Copy to Vault or Move to Vault, then select the destination vault.

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

OK. On my wifes iPad I now have a seperate vault with her name on it that I want to share with my 1password on my iMac and iPad. I synced in dropbox and the vault now shows up on my iPad and iMac.....but......her vault is empty when viewed on my iPad and iMac. On her iPad the vault contains her passwords. So something is wrong somewhere.

• asimpleusername
    asimpleusername
    Community Member

OK. I finally got it working after probably 5 hours of work. What I ended up doing was restarting both my and my wife iPad. For some reason 1Password was synching constantly without stopping. After I restarted the Vaults synched as they should. So everything now works well. Still.......it's not an easy process to me. I'm computer savvy but this just took way too much time. I do thank khad for his help on this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@asimpleusername,

Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know that everything is (finally) working. I'm sorry for all the trouble. The complexity of this setup is part of the reason we introduced 1Password Families: to make sharing super simple. After all you've just been through, I wouldn't expect you to even want to look at trying something else. But at some point down the road — like if you ever want to have more shared vaults or share with kids or parents — you might give the 1Password Families free trial a go.

If you ever have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Hopefully we can get any other problems you may have resolved more quickly in the future. :)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

This discussion has been closed.