I Created and Shared a Vault for my Husband. Changes I make are not made in his

Options
2»

Comments

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for removing the personal stuff. It's my 2nd screen shot here. I know my main vault syncs with iCloud, and I can find everything that's supposed to be there. On the computer, I can access Eric's vault by switching to it, and everything's in it. It's when I try to send a link to Eric, that it's only a link to that empty Dropbox thing called 1Password.agilekeychain, and it's an empty folder. Also, shouldn't there be a folder with the same name as the vault?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

I remember helping you out with this in another forum thread last month, and I think I can help to clear up the confusion here:

You're expecting to find a folder on your Mac or in Dropbox named "1Password Eric". The reason you aren't finding a folder with that name is because it doesn't exist - and that's perfectly normal! "1Password Eric" is the name you gave to the secondary vault in 1Password on your Mac, but that name only exists in the 1Password app (that's really just for your convenience, so you can tell which vault is which). The name of a vault in 1Password doesn't need to match the name of the sync file in Dropbox.

As your screenshots have shown us, the "1Password Eric" vault syncs with a file in Dropbox named "1Password.agilekeychain". That 1Password.agilekeychain file is located in this location on your Mac:
    ~/Dropbox/1Password Sync/

Please note the ~ indicates your Mac OS X user folder, which is named "gayemacy" and located here:
    Macintosh HD/Users/gayemacy/

Therefore, if you open your gayemacy user folder on your Mac, then open the Dropbox folder, and then open the 1Password Sync folder, you will see one item in there, which is the sync file named 1Password.agilekeychain. (In fact, that's exactly what you showed us in the screenshots from your first post above.) That's not an empty folder - that sync file contains a copy of the data from the "1Password Eric" vault.

Does that help clear up the confusion? I hope my explanation above makes sense, but as always, please let us know if you have more questions about that. Thanks! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so how do I send a link to Eric that will take him to his vault with all his stuff in it? And thanks for the multiple explanations. I'm just having a hard time getting it...

• @gayemacy This knowledge base article should help you out with setting up sharing:

Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers?

You basically right-click the 1Password Sync folder in Finder, then click Share This folder. The rest of the steps are in that article. :) Let us know how it goes.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

OK - On my Mac, I open Finder. I click Dropbox in Finder. The file 1 Password Sync has been synced already and has the green circle with the check mark. I go to Eric's Mac. I open Finder. Dropbox is not in Finder. Dropbox does show in the menu bar at the top of the screen. I click to open it. I click on files. The only file in there is Thanksgiving 2015.
    I don't understand. I'm following the article and all of your advice has been so good.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

The file 1 Password Sync has been synced already and has the green circle with the check mark.

The green circle / check mark only means that folder has finished syncing with your own Dropbox account. It has nothing to do with whether or not you've shared that folder with someone else. From your description, it sounds like you simply saw the green circle / check mark and didn't follow the rest of the steps to share that folder with Eric.

Just to make sure we understand: Do you and Eric both use the same Dropbox account? Or do you use separate Dropbox accounts? If you both use the same Dropbox account (i.e. he's signed into the same Dropbox account on his Mac that you are signed into on your Mac), then anything you put in the Dropbox folder on your Mac should automatically sync to the Dropbox folder on his Mac.

On the other hand, if you and Eric have separate Dropbox accounts (i.e. you're signed into your own Dropbox account on your Mac, and he's signed into his own Dropbox account on his Mac), then you need to share that "1Password Sync" folder with his Dropbox account so it shows up in his Dropbox folder. In this knowledgebase article (the one from the link penderworth gave you), step #2 under "Share a vault with someone else" shows you how to share a folder. It's a feature of Dropbox, and you can find more information about it on Dropbox's support site here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/19

Basically, you need to right-click on the "1Password Sync" folder and choose "Share This Folder", then follow the steps from Dropbox to share it with Eric. Once you've done that, the "1Password Sync" folder should appear in Eric's Dropbox folder. But it sounds like you're having trouble finding that folder on his Mac:

I go to Eric's Mac. I open Finder. Dropbox is not in Finder. Dropbox does show in the menu bar at the top of the screen. I click to open it. I click on files. The only file in there is Thanksgiving 2015.

The default location for the Dropbox folder on a Mac is in the Mac OS X user folder, but it's possible to have it in another location. So let's first confirm where his Dropbox folder is located:

• On Eric's Mac, click the Dropbox icon in the menubar at the top of the screen.
    • Click the 'gear' icon at the bottom of the drop down, then choose Preferences.
    • In the window that opens, click the Account tab at the top.
    • What do you see next to "Dropbox location:"?

Let us know how it goes up to this point, thanks! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

1) I bought the 1Password at full price from the Agilebits site. Do I need to purchase another one for him to use on his computer? There is also an option to download it. Which of those do I want, and does buying one give me a right to use the free download on a family member's vault?
    2) I assume for a shared Vault to sync through Dropbox, it has to have a copy of 1Password to give it something to sync through and act as an access point, am I right?
    3) We set a password on his vault, I wrote it down, but the App is not responding. I don't know how to strip off the old and give it a new one.
    I'm stuck now because I need to open 1Password on his Mac go sync it, and until I have 1Password up and running I'm unable to go forward.
    Thanks for any help.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.6
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
    Sync Type: iCloud for mine; dropbox for 2nd vault
    Referrer: forum-search:Preparing to put vault on second users Mac and iPad - have questsions

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy!

I bought the 1Password at full price from the AgileBits site. Do I need to purchase another one for him to use on his computer? There is also an option to download it. Which of those do I want, and does buying one give me a right to use the free download on a family member's vault?

Licenses are intended for a single person to use. If your husband wants to use 1Password it would be best for him to buy a license.

I assume for a shared Vault to sync through Dropbox, it has to have a copy of 1Password to give it something to sync through and act as an access point, am I right?

That is correct. Otherwise all they would see is encrypted gobbledygook :)

We set a password on his vault, I wrote it down, but the App is not responding. I don't know how to strip off the old and give it a new one.

Do you mean that 1Password isn't unlocking when you use the Master Password associated with his vault? If so, that's by design: 1Password for Mac uses the Master Password of the first vault when it tries to unlock. There isn't currently a way to enter the Master Password to a specific vault, enter it when 1Password is locked, and be taken to a specific vault.

Please let me know if I've interpreted that question correctly!

Thanks for any help

Our pleasure. Let's get your husband up and running with 1Password!

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

OK, up and running on Macs. A couple of questions:
    1. Just to be clear, may he set up his own password on his vault? If so, how? Otherwise, he would have to use the password to my vault on his (that is one Master Password for both vaults?) This seems not good, especially as he had to purchase his own license.
    2. I noticed it said my license is good across all Macs and iPads and iPhones we use. Why did we have to buy a second license?
    3. We can delete a field in a login or other new thing we're setting up. Why can't we add a field?
    4. Thanks! Now on to setting this all up on an iOS!!!!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to be clear, may he set up his own password on his vault? If so, how? Otherwise, he would have to use the password to my vault on his (that is one Master Password for both vaults?) This seems not good, especially as he had to purchase his own license.

I apologize for not being clearer. If he is using his own installation of 1Password, he can set up his own Master Password. But if you're sharing a vault with him and he wants to access it on your device, he would have to enter your Master Password. Does that make sense?

I noticed it said my license is good across all Macs and iPads and iPhones we use. Why did we have to buy a second license?

Licenses are meant for one person. It's on all of the Macs you use. (1Password for iOS doesn't use licenses and is a free download.) If you were just using 1Password on his computer you could've used your license there; but if you want him to use 1Password on his own -- even if he's sharing a vault with you -- he needs his own license because he's considered a separate user.

We can delete a field in a login or other new thing we're setting up. Why can't we add a field?

You can! If you hit Edit on an item you should see a blank field with "label" on one side and "new field" on another. Hitting the button with three dots on the right-hand side will allow you to add more sections, too.

Thanks! Now on to setting this all up on an iOS!!!!

All your husband has to do is tell 1Password for Mac to sync (whatever method he prefers from the dropdown menu) then download 1Password for iOS. Once he's done that:

1. Tell him to select the "Use without an account" option
    2. Follow the instructions to sync a vault using whatever service he used on 1Password for Mac
    3. Finish setup by following the onscreen instructions

That should make all of his information available on both devices :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

There's an Up Arrow at the end of his password field, and it won't accept a password. Any hints on that?
    Once I'm in, can I create a password for him, now that I've been using my Master Password per my understanding of what you were saying?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gayemacy, it sounds like Caps Lock is turned on.

From the "Recover your password" section in Change or recover your Master Password:

Make sure you’re typing lowercase and uppercase letters correctly. If Caps Lock is turned on, the Master Password field shows a Caps Lock symbol ⇪.

Let me know if turning off Caps Lock does the trick! I'm hoping it's that simple. That would be good news. :)

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @gayemacy ,
    I'm sorry to hear about your confusion. Let's see if I can help …
    You have two 1Password installations — one for yourself and one for your husband. You have created a secondary vault, which you wish to share with your husband and have synchronised this vault to Dropbox. Right so far?

To access the shared vault, your husband will need to be able to log in to the same Dropbox account. He will then also need to create a secondary vault and, under 1Password/Preferences/sync, will need to synchronise this vault with your secondary vault.

If it is the only vault on Dropbox, he will just need to choose the Dropbox folder. If he also has vaults on Dropbox, he will need to identify the vault that you created and choose that vault.

I hope this helps. If you should have further questions, ask away, the AgileBits guys and gals will be around soon to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. First, the way I read the set up manual, it didn't mention his having to buy a separate 1Password. I thought I could create a shared folder for him in Dropbox, share that link with him, and that's it. So, first, can I share some things with him from my 1Password without his having to purchase one separately? He will never be able to use it on his own, and will only need access to a few things.

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again @gayemacy ,
    You will need to install a second instance of 1Password on your husband's computer, so that he will be able to access the 1Password database. However, you do not need to make any further purchases — your existing license allows you to install the app on multiple devices.
    I hope this helps, but again – if you have further questions, someone will be around here to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy ,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been having trouble getting set up here, but it’s great to see that Rob has been helping out - he’s been giving you some pretty good advice!

I’ll do what I can to help clear things up:

I thought I could create a shared folder for him in Dropbox, share that link with him, and that's it. So, first, can I share some things with him from my 1Password without his having to purchase one separately?

At this time, there are two different ways that you can purchase and use 1Password:

1. Single-user, standalone licenses. You can purchase a license for the desktop versions of 1Password. This license will allow you to install 1Password on as many computers as you personally use, but each user will require a separate license.
    2. 1Password account using 1Password Families. With your 1Password subscription, up to 5 members of your household can use 1Password on as many computers and devices as they need.

From your earlier posts, it seems like you’re using the single-user, standalone license for 1Password. I took a quick look in our back office records to see if I could determine when you purchased 1Password, but I didn’t see any information attached to the email address that you have listed in your forum profile. If your license purchase is within the last 30 days (and from the AgileBits Store), we have a refund policy that would allow us to refund your purchase price so that you could switch to the 1Password Families subscription plan if this sounds more to your liking.

I’m sorry for the confusion, if you have any further questions, we’re happy to help!

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,
    There is a long string on this with Little Bobby Tables and Brenty. They decided I didn't need Family, that I can share from my account. Can you look back through my posts and find the string. And it's confusing to have responses from people other than Agile Bits Team members here.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy !

My primary vault syncs with iCloud. The secondary vault syncs with Dropbox. Changes I make to an item in my vault do not appear in the secondary vault. Why?

Do you mean that changes made to the Primary vault aren't reflected in the secondary vault -- and thus on your husband's device -- or that changes made directly to the secondary vault aren't being synced? The first one is by design; vaults have no effect on each other unless you're explicitly moving or copying items between them. The second one is a bug that we'd have to troubleshoot for you :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

There is a long string on this with Little Bobby Tables and Brenty. They decided I didn't need Family, that I can share from my account. Can you look back through my posts and find the string.

I’m sorry to hear that we seem to be repeating ourselves. I’m seeing a few different comments from you in different threads recently, but I’m not able to find the conversation you’re having with Brenty and Little Bobby. Have they answered your questions sufficiently elsewhere or are the questions in this thread still relevant?

If we’re discussing the same thing in multiple threads, it might be simplest to try and keep the discussion in one place. Otherwise, it’s bound to get confusing.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

It's been over a long period of time, trying to get this to work.
    From what I understand, I have to install from my Mac to his Mac using one set of directions- and a second separate setup for iOS, just as I did for my own Mac and phone. I've done that, so he has a vault that syncs from mine as the primary vault on both.
    What I'm wondering now is if I share a copy of a login from my Mac to Eric's vault, it will show only in his 1Password Mac vault. If I want it to be available to his iOS devices, I have to go to my 1Passwordbvault on my iOS device and also share from there. So am I correct that I have to do everything twice from two different places, and that changes made from 1 are not made to both?

Second, if I edit an entry previously copies to Eric's vault, does that update the item in his vault on the next Sync? Or do changes made in the primary vault not affect the shared vault - in which case I then have to update my primary, go to his iOS, and his Mac vaults to make the changes 3 times.

Last, since I had to buy him a separate license to use a shares vault, is this no longer really a copy of its I've shared so it doesn't reflect changes from my primary vault? Is it now just his own separate account?

I've gone through all the user materials, but they are not clear to me on these points, or I'd be happy not taking the time to correspond to get this figured out.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi gayemacy,

I thought your avatar photo looked familiar. :)

I found all (or at least most) of your other discussions about this issue and merged them into one, so it's easier for me and my teammates to see the big picture. One thing I noticed is that this discussion goes back to last year, and I'd like to get everything resolved for you once and for all.

I've emailed you with some more details. We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.

ref: ZPY-49755-966

This discussion has been closed.