I can't change my sync settings

Options
loadexfa
loadexfa
Community Member

I have Wifi Sync setup and it works fine with one of my computers. I also want to sync with a second computer. On my iOS devices I need to disable sync, re-add wifi sync and then select the computer I want to sync with. On my android device, I cannot do this. I can turn sync off and on again but it doesn't let me change any settings so I cannot sync with more than one computer.

I also noticed the fingerprint option is greyed out, I have a Galaxy S5.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @loadexfa ,
    Reading the forums here, I noticed that the fingerprint option with your Galaxy is a known problem that the AgileBits team is working on – hopefully it will be resolved soon.
    Wifi Sync is only meant for synching between two devices. If you wish to sync multiple devices, your best option would be either a Dropbox account, or a 1Password Families (or Team) subscription.
    Hope that helps,
    Cgeers,
    Rob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have Wifi Sync setup and it works fine with one of my computers. I also want to sync with a second computer. On my iOS devices I need to disable sync, re-add wifi sync and then select the computer I want to sync with. On my android device, I cannot do this. I can turn sync off and on again but it doesn't let me change any settings so I cannot sync with more than one computer.

@loadexfa: I'm sorry for the confusion there! It isn't possible to reconfigure sync completely without reinstalling the app...but more importantly, Wi-Fi Sync works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices. And while it is possible to disable sync in 1Password for iOS and set it up again with a different computer, this destroys the sync state used to prevent conflicts and data loss. This is only recommended to begin syncing with a new computer on an ongoing basis, not to use a mobile device as a "mule" between multiple computers. Wi-Fi Sync is designed to pair a client mobile device to a single sync server (computer), and that's why there's only room for a single "secret" during setup. If you'd like to sync with multiple computers, Dropbox is a better option, since that's supported, automatic, and will help avoid sync conflicts.

I also noticed the fingerprint option is greyed out, I have a Galaxy S5.

It sounds like there may be something preventing 1Password from accessing the fingerprint reader. If its disabled in your system settings, please enable it. Otherwise, you may need to turn it off temporarily and turn it back on again. Please let me know what you find!

• peri
    Options

@brenty @loadexfa Fingerprint Unlock is supported on devices that support the fingerprint framework in Android Marshmallow. As far as I'm aware, while Samsung is supporting this framework with the S6 and S7, they are still using their own fingerprint APIs with the S5, which is why Fingerprint Unlock isn't supported there.

• loadexfa
    loadexfa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm using this in ways that aren't intended. Using a public server like Dropbox makes me a little nervous and I'm not sharing between a family or team, these are all personal/work computers that I only use.

• saad
    Options

We designed 1Password to securely sync your data regardless of the sync service that you use. Your 1Password data is always encrypted before it is placed anywhere externally, and you can read more on how 1Password protects your data here:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options-security/

If you prefer not using Dropbox, you can also sync your data by using 1Password Families. Although, as I understand it, you won’t be needing to share your data with anyone else, 1Password Families is also a great solution for anyone looking to simplify their 1Password experience! You don’t need to maintain your data using a sync service because with 1Password accounts, all of your data will be accessible to you as soon as you sign in on your devices. Best of all, 1Password Families gives you full access to our apps on Mac, Windows, Android and iOS. You can read more about 1Password Families, including its security, here:

https://1password.com/families/

Whatever path you wish to take, we are here to help! Just let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.