Migrating from folders to tags

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: No folders in 1PW for Teams?.

Comments

• bkblake
    bkblake
    Community Member

I'd like to hear any suggestions you have about how to organize data using only tags. Maybe I don't understand it. I have a small team that uses 1Password to store confidential customer data in the form or secure notes. We have folders for every customer, with several secure notes in each folder. Without those folders, we just have hundreds/thousands of notes. Would I go through and tag every single note with customer tags or something so we could sort? It's pretty fast to just go to folders/customer folder...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bkblake: I hope you on't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion since that old feature thread was less relevant to your particular situation.

If it were me, I'd just use a single tag per customer, the same as you might with folders. I do this with credit cards: I have a tag for a particular credit card that I add to all of my accounts that are using that as payment. That way if I get a replacement card, I know exactly where I need to update my payment information.

In the case of your migration, just add the customer-name tag to a single item. Then it will appear in the sidebar, and you can select all of the remaining items in your old vault's folder (⌘ A is handy for this) and drag them to the appropriate tag. Much easier than going one item at a time. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.