Can I access 1password keychain for mac using Android?

roosterstoker
roosterstoker
Community Member

Hi,, I have 1password for my iMac and iPhone,, and just in case, i lose my phone, I have a Nexus 7 that I have just today, put on 1Password for Android. In emergency, i.e. losing my iPhone, am I able to use the same keychain to access my existing passwords that exist on my Mac? I currently store keychain for Mac in dropbox. Is there such a thing as exporting a keychain so it is useable for Android 1PW? I have 100% Mac ecosystem, Except for my one Nexus 7, which I like to use once in a while, and even use as a backstop for security reasons. Thanks if you can point me to knowledgeable article or link or any fresh observation

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: Latest
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hi @roosterstoker,

I am a little confused on what you mean by 'keychain' as there is an Apple Keychain and a 1Password Keychain.

My assumption is that you are referring to the 1Password Keychain since you are using 1Password.

If my assumption is correct then you need to setup Dropbox syncing in the Android 1Password app by following the instructions on this page:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/android/settings-sync.html

Once you have that setup you will be able to access your entire 1Password database on your Android app.

• roosterstoker
    roosterstoker
    Community Member

Thanks Rogerdodger, you are correct.. meant 1password keychain,, thanks for link. So,, if database gets setup, then , I presume, it is using the database info that was setup when I set up my 1password on Mac/ios to help set up Android database.? and if I were to go to Dropbox, assuming I decide to sync up to Dropbox, then I would see 2 separate areas or folders that are there, one for original Mac one, and other one set up for Android? Thanks Hope I made sense in my assumption.

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hi @roosterstoker,

The 1password keychain is device agnostic. You use the same file for all applications.

If you Goto the link I provided it has a section taking about syncing with an existing vault, which is the case that you are in:

Sync with an existing vault

If you already have a vault in local storage or Dropbox, you can tell 1Password to sync with it. 1Password will prompt you to merge the selected vault with your existing data.

Follow those instructions and all will be golden. It really is a simple setup.

• Hi @roosterstoker. As rogerdodger pointed out, you can definitely sync your Android with the vault you created on your Mac. If you're syncing with the same vault, this won't create two 1Password folders in Dropbox. Instead, both the Mac and Android will be syncing with the same folder that you already have in Dropbox.

Just launch 1Password on Android and select Already have 1Password data somewhere else? Then select Dropbox and, if you're not already logged into Dropbox, go ahead and login. Allow 1Password to access Dropbox files, and then it should show you the vault you already have there. Select it and enter your Master Password, and you should be good to go!

Let us know if you have any other questions! Thanks!

• roosterstoker
    roosterstoker
    Community Member

Thanks Peri and Rogerdodger.. Will try,, and I'm sure I'll have no problems

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! But if you do have any questions at all, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.