Our Family License is Apparently Expired (for me only) After 5 Years.

Options
rmjacks
rmjacks
Community Member

My husband purchased a Family License for 1Password 3 in 2011. I have a copy of the email. It has been working fine all this time, but just in the past couple of weeks, I am getting a "Trial Expired. Click Here to Buy" message on my laptop. My husband is not having this issue on his. I am running OS X on a Mac I purchased a year ago and, because of updates, it shows I am now running 1Password 6. However, there have been no recent changes that I am aware of and this issue just started recently, seemingly out of nowhere. I have tried using the original license email to re-download 1Password but the "Trial Expired. Click Here to Buy" message is still there. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.3.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rmjacks,

I'm sorry for any confusion about the Trial Expired message you're seeing! If you or your husband have a license for 1Password 6, you simply need to apply that license to the 1Password 6 app to activate it. We have information about that here: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

1Password 4 and higher are a paid upgrade from 1Password 3 for Mac, so your 1Password 3 license from 2011 won't work to activate 1Password 6. Do you remember if either of you upgraded your license since then? If you or your husband upgrade your license from the AgileBits Store, you can have your license resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site (or from the above support article).

Or if you purchased a newer version from the Mac App Store, you can simply reinstall the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6 (the "Trial Expired" message only appears for the AgileBits Store version). Just launch the Mac App Store, make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make the purchase, and reinstall 1Password from the Purchased section.

If you never upgraded your 1Password 3 license to a 1Password 4/5/6 license and would like to do so, you can enter your version 3 license code on our Upgrade Store to see your upgrade discount.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know! :)

• rmjacks
    rmjacks
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your quick response, Drew. It was very helpful. As I understand it, when my 1Password automatically updated as far as 1Password 6, it then became a "trial" because I will now need to purchase a new family license as my 1Password 3 is just too outdated. Is that correct? The part that still confuses me though is that my husband is not receiving the same error message that I am, and since it is a family license, it seems that he would (especially since he was the original purchaser). I did follow the link you sent to the upgrade store and entered my license key from the original 2011 1Password version 3 and it offered me a 50% discount. I just wanted to check back before I purchase it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rmjacks,

As I understand it, when my 1Password automatically updated as far as 1Password 6, it then became a "trial" because I will now need to purchase a new family license as my 1Password 3 is just too outdated. Is that correct?

1Password 3 isn't able to automatically update itself to 1Password 6 (version 4/5/6 is a separately download/installation than 1Password 3). But otherwise, yes you're correct - if you haven't already upgraded your 1Password 3 license to a newer version, you'll need to do so in order to activate 1Password 6.

The part that still confuses me though is that my husband is not receiving the same error message that I am, and since it is a family license, it seems that he would (especially since he was the original purchaser).

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your husband's Mac? If he's still using 1Password 3, it's probably activated with your 1Password 3 license. If he's using 1Password 6 (or even 4 or 5) and is not getting a Trial Expired message, it might still be in the 30 day free trial mode. Or it could mean he upgraded the license at some point and activated the app with the upgraded license. If you open the main 1Password app on his Mac and go to 1Password > License in the menubar, the window that opens will show if it's in trial mode or if it's activated with a license.

Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.