Managing team subscriptions and paying

After participating in the pilot, I have now finally got approval to buy 10 annual subscriptions.

I would like to use my pilot account, and proceed from there, but my organisation’s IT procurement processes make this very hard (without handing over the log in details of my account, which I am not about to do).

I am likely to be able to get access to my division’s credit card, but I need to check that once I enter the credit card details I will be able to subscribe and pay for 10 annual accounts without needing to name the subscribers. Once that is done, the idea is that I add the team members as they signup with 1Password, until all 10 seats are filled. After that if a team member leaves, I delete their account and signup their replacement.

Will this work?

If I am unable to access the division's credit card, is there any way that my organisation's IT procurement team can pay for 10 annual licences for me, but without having access to my login?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@kate_gilroy I'm happy to hear that you'll be able to use 1Password Teams!

I just want to make sure I understand the question. Are you saying that you want to run a team account for 10 other people, but instead of creating individual accounts for those people, you want to essentially create "seats" that they can fill or vacate as needed?

If so, that isn't currently possible with 1Password Teams because people can save whatever information they want to their Personal vaults. (Accounts are also tied to a single email address.) You'll be inviting people to join your team account, not to fill empty seats.

What you can do is delete users who leave and then invite new users to take their place. This won't affect information outside of those users' Personal vaults, and will keep the billing consistent. (They must be deleted -- suspended users are still charged as usual.)

You can learn how to do all that (and more!) via the Teams Admin Guide. And please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Kate_Gilroy
    Kate_Gilroy
    Community Member

I guess I want to see the screens I need to fill in after I enter a credit card, so I can ensure I have all the info in order, and make an informed decision about which credit card needs to be used.
    On the issue of accounts: I understand you need 10 email addresses if I am buying 10 subscriptions, and then am I right in thinking, if a staff member leaves, I am able to delete them from my team, and then add their replacement?
    Supplementary question: how long can a licence be "empty"? Say there is a 2 month gap between a staff member leaving and their replacement being found?

• Kate_Gilroy
    Kate_Gilroy
    Community Member

And a supplementary question...I just tried to buy a subscription and the card I was using was declined. It was an Australian visa card. Are you aware of any limitations on types of cards that can be used?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@kate_gilroy those are good questions!

On the issue of accounts: I understand you need 10 email addresses if I am buying 10 subscriptions, and then am I right in thinking, if a staff member leaves, I am able to delete them from my team, and then add their replacement?

That is correct. The account doesn't change hands; an account is deleted, an account is made, and everything is billed accordingly.

Supplementary question: how long can a licence be "empty"? Say there is a 2 month gap between a staff member leaving and their replacement being found?

There's no such thing as a license in 1Password Teams, nor are there empty seats. If you delete an account then add a new one in two months you won't be billed for the time in between. You only have to pay for the total number of accounts at any given time.

It was an Australian visa card. Are you aware of any limitations on types of cards that can be used?

Sometimes banks can be a little overzealous in declining charges that aren't expected, for subscription-based services, or for online services in general. (Apparently the world isn't as borderless as we thought!) There should be a number on the card that you can call to explain that you really did intend to pay for 1Password Teams and would like the charge to go through. That should clear things up :)

I also wanted to point you to a few different things that might help clear billing up.

This document explains everything about managing a 1Password Teams subscription:

Manage your subscription to 1Password Families or 1Password Teams

And this one answers several other questions about billing:

1Password subscription billing

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with :)

• Kate_Gilroy
    Kate_Gilroy
    Community Member

Thanks for the answers. I still have one question which I can't seem to find the answer to in the documents. Can I buy multiple subscriptions on the one transaction?
    Is there any place that has screen shots of the transaction process?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kate_Gilroy,

When you add credit card info on the Billing page, you lock in a per-member pricing plan for your Team. The card will be charged for as many active Team Members as you have at the time that you add the card, at the rate specified (for example, the Standard plan, billed annually, at the rate of $3.99 per user per month). The same rate applies when you add or remove Team Members.

Right now we are running a great promotion for early adopters that allows new users to get the Pro plan at the Standard price. This special is locked in for all users added even after the promotion ends on August 1, as long as your Teams account remains active.

I don't believe we have a document with screenshots of each screen of the billing process at this time, but it's just a matter of choosing a plan (choose to be billed monthly or annually at the specified rate) and filling in credit card information.

As for which cards are accepted, we use Stripe for our payment processing. As we are a Canadian business, that means we can currently accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express cards.

Does this answer your questions? Is there any other specific information you're looking for? We'll do our best to get you all the answers you need. :) You're also welcome to email us at support@1password.com if you want to discuss the specifics of your account, so you don't have to post your private Team info on this public forum. If you do email us, please include a link to this discussion thread so that we'll know what's already been discussed. Cheers!

• Kate_Gilroy
    Kate_Gilroy
    Community Member

Thanks Vee, but that doesn't answer my question. Maybe my question is can I buy 10 subscriptions on the one transaction? What I see currently when I log is the choice of monthly or yearly plans. I choose "yearly" and "Subscribe now" and am asked to add a Credit card. I can't see what happens after that. What I want to do is add an additional 9 subscriptions which would all be billed on the same transaction (or at least there would be facility to add a bunch of email addresses, most of which will be new users). Is that what happens?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kate_Gilroy,

I apologize for the confusion here. I think we're talking about the same thing but using different terms. When you say "10 subscriptions" I'm interpreting that as 10 active Team Members. These will be people who each have their own Account Key and Master Password and their own Personal vault, but they all belong the same Team (teamname.1Password.com) and can be given access to shared vaults by Owners or Admins.

As I mentioned above, the card will be charged for as many active Team Members as you have at the time that you add the card.

To add a Team Member, invite them to join your team through the Admin Console. I looked up your email address in our account records, and from what I can tell, your account currently has 4 active members (two of which appear to be you, at different email addresses). So if you added a credit card right now, you would be charged for those 4 active members. It looks like your account is currently frozen because the trial expired before a card was added, so you won't be able to invite/add new members until after the card is added.

So, what I recommend you do now is:

• Add a card now to unfreeze the account. You will be charged for 4 members (including yourself).
    • Invite the other 6 members to your Team (or you may want to remove one of your 2 accounts from the team and invite 7 others). You'll be charged for them as they are added*, after they accept the invitation and set up their account.

As this is an ongoing subscription, the card info is kept (securely) on file so that it can be charged periodically (you choose monthly or annually) as well as whenever a new team member is added*.

*If you choose to be billed monthly, the prorated amount for newly added Team Members will be added to your next invoice.
    If you choose to be billed annually, the prorated amount will be invoiced by the next day.

Will this work for you? If you absolutely need to be charged for all 10 at once, we may be able to work with you on this, but it would take some additional steps. If that's the route you need to go, please do email support@1password.com with a link to this discussion thread and we'll do what we can to help you out. Thanks for bearing with us on this!

• Kate_Gilroy
    Kate_Gilroy
    Community Member

Gotcha!
    Now I understand, and with this information I can make some informed decisions about which card needs to be used.

cheers!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear, @Kate_Gilroy! I'm so glad I could help. Hopefully all goes smoothly from here, but you know where to find us if you have any other questions for us. :)

This discussion has been closed.