iOS: Disabling built-in browser

Thorgrim
Thorgrim
Community Member

Is there a way of disabling the built-in browser in 1Password in iOS?

I want my children to use a kid-safe browser and I'm loathing the day one of them discovers that the web browser in 1Password does not have any filters.

I am encouraging them to create strong password for their devices and services.

Thoughts?

iOS 9.3.2, 1Password for iOS 6.4.2, 1Password for Families

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:disable browser access on ios, kb:undefined, kb-search:disable browser access

Comments

• Hi @Thorgrim

There is not, currently, but I'll add your vote to the feature request. :)

Ben

• Thorgrim
    Thorgrim
    Community Member

I thought that might be the answer.

One child will never find it. The other... trolls options and settings like a web crawler

Thanks for the reply.

• Understood, @Thorgrim. For what it's worth, I was also one of those kids, and I think I turned out okay. ;) :)

Ben

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@Thorgrim

I happened to be looking for a different discussion but this one caught my eye. Not sure if this is an option for you, but if you goto Settings > General > Restrictions in the main Settings app, you can setup website restrictions. 1Password's browser obey's these settings. Might be worth investigating. It won't remove the browser, but it will prevent the browser from doing anything you don't allow.

• Thorgrim
    Thorgrim
    Community Member

That is a great suggestion and I will enable it (since I'm already using Restrictions to disable Safari).

Thanks!

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure! Glad to hear that may be a solution. If I understand correctly you can restrict the websites and just disallow everything (which I can confirm works) and you can also white list some sites (I did not try this)

• tabbycat
    tabbycat
    Community Member

I disabled safari and I don't want the option of having a browser period. I get way too distracted and have many things in place to help me focus. This is a big issue for me. I really hope you could disable it/remove it for me. I don't want to have to delete this app because I already paid for the Mac version ):

• It has been discussed a lot internally, and it seems unlikely that we will remove 1Browser, unless the landscape on iOS were to change significantly. Our primary motivation for considering it previously was that we used to have to have a 17+ age restriction on 1Password because it had a built in browser. Now it obeys the parental restrictions set in the Settings app and so that requirement is no longer there. As such there is much less of a reason to consider removing it.

That said we do certainly appreciate the feedback and I'll be happy to add your vote for this request.

Ben

• tabbycat
    tabbycat
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

There's no way to manual override or do some administrative block per individual user? How do I disallow everything that agkyle was talking about if I can't have it blocked?

• I'm not entirely sure I follow. iOS doesn't have individual user accounts (it isn't a multi-user platform).

But no, there is no way to disable 1Browser.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.