1Password for Families extension for Chrome

pvilliger
pvilliger
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have recently setup up 1Password for Families. We use apple products at home and have not had any problem getting our passwords added and synced. I do use Windows at the office and have installed the Chrome 1Password extension. The key icon appears in the upper righthand corner but I have a red explanation mark next to it. It asks for the my Master Password and the it tries to connect (unsuccessfully). Not sure if I need to install anything else on my windows machine to get it to work. THanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@pvilliger the 1Password extensions don't store any information or communicate directly with 1Password Families. You'll have to download the beta version of 1Password 6 for Windows in order to use 1Password Families and the 1Password browser extensions. Be warned: That's beta software that isn't quite as stable as the rest of the 1Password apps. We plan to have a stable build available soon, so if you aren't really comfortable with using potentially buggy software, I recommend waiting until that's released :)

• pvilliger
    pvilliger
    Community Member

Thanks. I have it 1Password 6 for Windows up and running now but I still have the red explanation market and it is still not connecting.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@pvilliger from where did you download 1Password 6 for Windows -- was it from the direct link I sent or from the Windows Store? The one I posted is the only one that can connect to the browser extensions. If that's the one you downloaded and you confirmed you're running the latest beta and browser extension, just let me know and we'll see if we can get this sorted :)

• pvilliger
    pvilliger
    Community Member

Yes I am running the version that I downloaded from the link provided and not the Windows store. Perhaps there is something wrong with the extension as it doesn't seem to be communicating??

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pvilliger,

Which version of the 1Password extension do you have installed in Chrome? If you're not sure how to check that, the steps here should help: https://support.1password.com/update-extension/#chrome

Thanks in advance! :)

• pvilliger
    pvilliger
    Community Member

I'm running version 3.9.21.90

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @pvilliger! That explains that problem - the 1Password 3 extension won't work with 1Password 6. You'll need to remove the version 3 extension from Chrome and then install the newer extension from here: http://www.agilebits.com/browsers/index.html

For more information about using the extension with the 1Password 6 for Windows beta, please make sure you take a look at the information under the "Roadmap" section here: Help us welcome 1Password 6 to our Windows family!

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• pvilliger
    pvilliger
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Making progress -- no more red explanation mark. When I press the icon button in Chrome it attempts to launch the 1Password helper but is unsuccessful in making the connection.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the screenshot, @pvilliger! It's very helpful for us. Just in case you need more help with this, I've moved your discussion to our Windows Beta forum.

Do you have the 1Password 6 program open and unlocked on your computer? In the 'Help us welcome 1Password 6 to our Windows family!' announcement I linked to in my previous message, the Browser Extension section explains the following:

2. Unlock the main 1Password program to enable the extension integration and then open the browser, the extension will work alongside the program. Which means, if the program is closed, the extension won't work.

If you open & unlock the 1Password program first, does the browser extension work?

• pvilliger
    pvilliger
    Community Member

Yes my 1Password program had closed out so the extension wasn't working. It works now -- thanks. One last question, the Chrome plug in doesn't seem to automatically ask if I want to save my login and password as it does for the Apple products. Is this a feature that is available yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pvilliger: First of all, thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that you were able to unlock 1Password to get the extension working again.

Regarding autosave, this isn't related to the browser itself, but rather it hasn't been implemented in the new 1Password 6 beta for Windows yet. The extensions already support it (since they're the same ones used on the Mac side), and we're working hard to improve browser integration in the new app. Thanks for your patience! :)

This discussion has been closed.