1Password Pro purchase keeps reverting to basic version. Family sharing, and change of regions

raymanoz
raymanoz
Community Member

Many years ago, I purchased 1Password for my iPhone. At the time, I used my wife's Apple Id for iTunes. This is so we could share apps between our 2 phones.

Since then, Apple has given us "Shared Family" accounts. Because of this, I decided to start using my own Apple Id.

To add some complexity to the mix, we also recently moved from the UK to Australia and have changed regions on both of our apple accounts to Australia.

Since doing these 2 things, the 1Password Pro on my iPhone constantly reverts to the Basic version. This sucks, as I have a lot of logins in other categories that are not accessible from the Basic version.

I did manage to get the Pro version on my iPhone once, by logging into my wife's iTunes account on my iPhone, deleting 1Password, and reinstalling. I then changed my iTunes account back to my own. Unfortunately, after a period of time, 1Password reverts again.

Is there a way to solve this?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Many years ago, I purchased 1Password for my iPhone. At the time, I used my wife's Apple Id for iTunes. This is so we could share apps between our 2 phones. Since then, Apple has given us "Shared Family" accounts. Because of this, I decided to start using my own Apple Id. To add some complexity to the mix, we also recently moved from the UK to Australia and have changed regions on both of our apple accounts to Australia. Since doing these 2 things, the 1Password Pro on my iPhone constantly reverts to the Basic version. This sucks, as I have a lot of logins in other categories that are not accessible from the Basic version.

@raymanoz: Indeed, as far as I know from my own experience and Apple's support documents, App Store purchases are tied to the Apple ID and region where they were originally purchased. And Apple's Families Sharing feature specifically excludes in-app purchases, such as the Pro Features in 1Password for iOS.

I did manage to get the Pro version on my iPhone once, by logging into my wife's iTunes account on my iPhone, deleting 1Password, and reinstalling. I then changed my iTunes account back to my own. Unfortunately, after a period of time, 1Password reverts again.

That's correct. In order for the App Store to validate the purchase, the you need to be logged into the Apple ID the purchase is tied to when both the app is installed and the purchase is restored. It sounds like you've found a temporary hack around this, but that certainly sounds like bit of a nuisance, and not something that the App Store accommodates.

Is there a way to solve this?

The only possible solution could come from Apple, since they own and operate the App Store. But in the past I've always been told that I'd simply need to make the purchase using the correct Apple ID and region. Frankly, I'm surprised that you were able to change the region of your Apple ID, as I did not think that was something Apple even allowed. So perhaps they'd be able to help you in some other way as well, and I'd be interested to hear how it turns out!

• raymanoz
    raymanoz
    Community Member

Changing Apple ID region is a common task. But, is is a pain in the butt. You need all subscriptions cancelled first (eg. Apple Music). And once you start the subscription up again in a different region, it's hard to again change back.

What about AgileBits "Gifting" me the app in the right region?

/Raymond

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@raymanoz unfortunately we don't have a process for "gifting" the Pro features to anyone. Like brenty said we're constrained in these instances by what we're able to do through the App Store. I'm sorry for the inconvenience here, and I hope for everyone's sake that every step of this process is improved in the future :(

• raymanoz
    raymanoz
    Community Member

OK, no problems. Thanks for helping anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, it never hurts to ask! And we're here if you have any other questions. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.