Easiest way to set up an entry to match an app

Options
411pass
411pass
Community Member

Is there an easy way to set up an entry so that it matches an application, without searching for the entry? I know the app full name is passed to the 1P keyboard, but then where do you set the app name in the entry? Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hey @411pass. 1Password on Android's accessibility service should detect app names and match them to URLs saved with your Login items. For instance, if you're logging into the Twitter app, 1Password should detect com.twitter.android and match it to the Login with the URL https://twitter.com/.

Are you having trouble with any app in particular? If so, please let us know which and we'll be happy to help. Thanks!

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

This one for example:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.infonow.bofa&hl=en

But there are others too, I'll post as I run into them.

• mverde
    Options

@411pass We currently match apps to logins by comparing the package name of the app (com.company.app) with the URL for the login (https://app.company.com). When the app in question uses the reverse domain name convention for package names, this works out nicely. However, there are a number of apps that don't follow this convention and thus we are not able to identify them by the login URL. Our development team is hoping to improve on this in a future update, but in the meantime I can offer you a workaround.

If you change the URL for the login item to be "bofa.infonow.com", then you should find that filling with the 1Password Keyboard now correctly identifies that login with the app. Note that this workaround interferes with Go & Fill behaviour in the desktop versions of 1Password, so you may want to consider creating separate login items for the app and the website. For example, you could have a "BofA Site" login and a "BofA App" login.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You can have multiple URLs for an entry. Would that work to keep a single entry? Having multiple entries is not very appealing.

In the future, maybe you can add a special field to an entry that we can set. Tag is too intrusive, but there could be another dedicated field that the keyboard can match against.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can have multiple URLs for an entry. Would that work to keep a single entry? Having multiple entries is not very appealing.

@411pass: While having multiple login items is not appealing on the surface, having a single login item which doesn't work well for either purpose isn't really helpful either.

It's like the "toaster microwave" I bought years ago: It's a toaster! It's a microwave! It can even bake and broil! ... But really it's pretty terrible for all of those uses, and the only reason I still have it is because it hasn't broken yet and it fits in the space I have currently.

In the future, maybe you can add a special field to an entry that we can set. Tag is too intrusive, but there could be another dedicated field that the keyboard can match against.

I'm not sure what you meant by your tag comment. A separate field is certainly something we can consider in the future, but we also have to take into account cross-platform compatibility. Historically, 1Password hasn't exactly been consistent on different devices, but we're working to bridge that gap every day. The flip side of that is that we need to consider the impact that a given "improvement" in one app might have on another. Definitely food for thought. :)

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Any progress on this? I should be able to set a custom field, say "Android" with the value of the application package name and 1Password on Android should match on that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@411pass: Currently no versions of 1Password have logic for "understanding" arbitrary custom fields, but perhaps it's something we'll be able to do in the future.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Meanwhile, how do I make an entry match an app? I'm getting tired of searching for entries, it's a computer, it should be able to automate these things for me...

• saad
    Options

@411pass As Michael pointed out above, you should be able to change the URL of your login item with the reverse app package name to allow matching. This means if you change the URL of your Bank of America login item to bofa.infonow.com, the 1Password keyboard should be able to match your login in the Bank of America app. In the future, we will try to make this process easier and find a way to directly assign apps for your logins.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

But once this syncs back to my desktop, it won't work on my desktop anymore. I share the same database between mac, windows, android, ios. The Android version doesn't seem to understand multiple URL fields, though I may be doing something wrong.

• peri
    Options

Hey @411pass. 1Password for Android will only sync the first URL for any item, but Mac, Windows, and iOS all have support for multiple URL fields. If you add a special URL to Logins for apps, just make sure that it's the first URL. Then you can keep the regular URLs in the subsequent URL fields so that you'll still be able to fill on your other devices.

Let us know if you have more questions!

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

I do have more questions :) When will Android support multiple URLs? Sounds like an arbitrary limitation when all the other platforms already support them.

• peri
    Options

Unfortunately I can't say when we might be able to support multiple URLs. I'll let the team know you're eager to see it though! :)

This discussion has been closed.