Searching Trash

douglas
douglas
Community Member

It’s surprising than when clicking on Trash in the sidebar then searching with the search bar at the top of the list of items in the Trash, 1P does not search the items in the list below the search field. It searches everything not in the Trash. I find this unexpected and unhelpful. I’ve accumulated 100s of items in the Trash and I’m looking for an item I deleted recently.

(I found it by sorted by Date Modified.)

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @douglas,

Thanks for taking the time to ask us about this!

This is actually normal, and it mirrors the behavior of Mac OS X - if you try doing a Spotlight search for a file in your Mac's Trash, that file won't appear in the Search results.

I'm curious why/how you accumulated so many items in the Trash in 1Password. Did you delete all those items yourself but haven't emptied the Trash? (And if so, is there a reason you haven't emptied the Trash?) Or were you unaware that you had so many items in there? Either way, I'm glad you were able to find the item you were looking for by sorting the Trash by Date Modified.

Please let us know if you have more questions about that or need help with something else. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-989

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply!

It depends the setting of Finder Preferences > Advanced > When Performing a Search. I have mine set so if I open the Finder Trash and search in the box in that window, it just searches the Trash. In general, if there’s a search box at top of a list I expect the search to include items from that list. I agree with 1Password not including results from its Trash by default, for example when searching starting from Logins or something.

I did delete all those items over many years, and haven't emptied the Trash deliberately. I don’t see any point, and don’t want to do cleaning up. It’s not like those items take up much storage space.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I did delete all those items over many years, and haven't emptied the Trash deliberately. I don’t see any point, and don’t want to do cleaning up. It’s not like those items take up much storage space.

@douglas: I'm with you 100% — and 931 Trashed items. I for one and really thankful that search doesn't include results from my Trash. There's a lot of garbage in there! :lol:

But in all seriousness, when, on occasion, I do want to find something I threw away previously, I find the sorting options at the top are really handy: searching by date will let me find the most recently Trashed item quickly, and other items I can find by sorting by name. Cheers! :)

• eh1489
    eh1489
    Community Member

hi all

I do wish that the trash could be made searchable. As my credit cards get replaced with new ones with different numbers I move the old account to the trash to keep it from being accidentally chosen. Later on I may need to figure out what card a vendor is referring to in an email. I can only find it now by walking through the trashed items. A toggle on the behavior would be nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eh1489: As a digital hoarder myself, I occasionally have this same wish. Perhaps we can add a way to search the Trash in a future version! :)

This discussion has been closed.