Upgraded to Win10 and now unable to use browser extension in Chrome

Hi there,

I'm a longtime Mac user with a Windows machine I use for work. I used 1Password 4 just fine for the six months I've been working here. Last week, I was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now I'm unable to use the browser extensions in Chrome. It gives me an error, "Google Chrome is running. We cannot install our add-on while Google Chrome is running. Please close Google Chrome, and try again."

This error occurs even after a restart when Chrome has not been opened.

Other people with this problem seem to be running beta versions, but I am not. I am on 1Password 4.6.0.604, Windows 10 Enterprise:Version 1511:OS Build 10586.318, and Chrome 50.0.2661.102m (64-bit).

Please help me fix this because in my work context I really need the browser extension in order to take advantage of 1Password.

Thanks very much!
Natty

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: won't install
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise v1511
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:configure-sophos

Comments

• Hi @npc123,

That's an unusual error and it does not sound like it is ours. Were you able to install other Chrome extensions? If not, I'd suggest reinstalling Chrome.

In addition, except for IE, we do not install your extensions automatically nor do we prompt this kind of error because we cannot modify your browsers. However, we have seen a lot of weird glitches caused by the upgrade to Windows 10.

Could you try this again but with our instruction below:

1. Open Chrome and open this page: http://www.agilebits.com/browsers/index.html
    2. Press the green button and Chrome should start installing it for you. Do you still see the same error? If yes, I would recommend reinstalling Chrome to see if it helps.
  • By the way, I saw your other post and moved it here but since it was a duplicate, I've cleaned it up.

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I actually did finally get it to install - not being a Windows person, I didn't realize there was a background instance of Chrome running too. After quitting that I was able to install the extension, so it is visible now, but it is not clickable! Nothing happens when I click on it. I can right click to get the "Remove from Chrome," "Manage Extensions," and other options, but it is not functioning.

Any idea about this new problem?

Thanks!
    Natty

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

And thanks for moving that other post, I left that comment before figuring I should just start my own. :)

• That's a common issue when the 1Password browser extensions are being interfered with by anti-malware software or similar applications or third party browser extensions.

Which anti-malware software are you using?

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

Just saw your reply. Still unable to left-click on the extension even after uninstalling and reinstalling everything. I can right-click to get the "Remove from Chrome" option.

I don't have any ad blockers or anything. I have Ghostery and a few other extensions, but nothing new that I didn't have when everything was running fine on Windows 7. This has been really frustrating because I use a lot of passwords at work and I have to copy and paste everything now. I desperately want my browser extension back.

Thanks, Natty

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

Quick follow-up: I tried just now in a separate instance of Chrome without any extensions, and I have the same problem. The button is there, but it is not clickable. Thanks, Natty

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

One more quick follow-up: Doesn't work in Firefox either. No plug-ins. Button is there, but clicking it doesn't do anything. Nobody else has had this problem? I am not running the beta but the full, most recent version of 1Password 4. Very discouraging. Thanks for any advice you can provide. Again, this hasn't worked a single day on Windows 10 for me. Thanks, Natty

• stefanr91
    stefanr91
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

I'm on the same boat. Ever since upgrading to windows 10 the chrome browser extension is not working anymore.

Tried to uninstall and re-install both the browser extension and the 1Password main application, but without succes. A colleague of mine has the same issues after he upgraded to windows 10. As a last option I tried to install the beta versions, but unfortunately that did not help either.

If anyone has a solution then please let me know!

• Hi guys,

@npc123 / @stefanr91, click on the 1Password icons a few time in Chrome and then please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report, email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

Thanks - just sent. Best, Natty

• Thanks, we got the email and will reply as soon as we finish analyzing it.

ref: IJR-53565-414

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

Thanks so much - it did have to do with Sophos as you suspected. Strange since this was also present on my Win7 machine. Following the Sophos Endpoint instructions you sent resolved the problem. Many thanks!

• Hi @npc123 - I'm so glad we were able to help you and thanks for posting the resolution here :)

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

This fix worked! Here's the caveat - my Sophos updates every day so I'm forced to implement this fix on a daily basis. I've been meaning to follow up with IT, but you don't know a quick fix for this, do you? Thanks again!

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

I did reach out to IT, and they said the following, which is discouraging:

"Adding the local host address to Sophos exclusions opens a big security risk on your computer. This could be exploited by other applications. It is unfortunate that 1Password requires this exclusion, as other password managers such as KeePass and LastPass do not need to be excluded. Unfortunately, we can not allow this exclusion in Sophos permanently. It likely worked on your Windows 7 because Sophos was not web scanning."

Any ideas? Am I simply out of luck? This is disappointing!

Please advise!

Thanks,
    Natty

• Hi @npc123,

There's no other solution right now, 1Password can only communicate locally on 127.0.0.1.

We are planning to add alternative methods but it's not going to be a quick fix.

• npc123
    npc123
    Community Member

Ah, bummer, thanks for letting me know. Oh well.

• You're welcome and we do apologize about this. Hopefully, we'll have a better solution soon.

This discussion has been closed.