1Password on my Mac desktop computer - want on laptop Mac too

Options
luckystrummer
luckystrummer
Community Member

I have 1Password on my Mac desktop computer. Do I need to purchase it again to have it on my Macbook? I thought I would be able to use it on both computers and my iPhone 6

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 6.2.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: OS X 10.11.5
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1Password on my Mac desktop computer. Do I need to purchase it again to have it on my Macbook

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @luckystrummer,

Thanks for asking about this.

If you have a license for 1Password for Mac, you can use it on all your Macs. There is no limit. :)

If you haven't yet set up syncing in 1Password on your desktop, you might want to do that first:

Sync your 1Password data

Then, all you need to do is install 1Password on your other Mac:

Download 1Password

And set up the same method of syncing you set up on your desktop Mac. All your data will sync.

You can do the same with 1Password on iOS. Let me know it goes!

• Red2
    Red2
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I have the same question. I have 1Password installed on my Mac Pro and on my Mac Book Pro. I was hoping to sync without using Dropbox or Cloud. I have a WiFi network, and was able to use this successfully to sync between my Mac Pro and my iPhone 6S, but I can't figure out how to make this work between my Mac Pro and the Mac Book Pro. I have both set to the same WiFi network, but no syncing happens. What am I doing wrong here? How do I make this work?

Using OS X 10.11.3 on the Mac Pro, 10.11.5 on the Mac Book Pro, 1Password v 6.3.1 on both.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Red2,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

From the Wi-Fi Sync section in the 1Password for Mac User Guide:

• Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password for Mac will only work with an iOS or Android device. It is not possible to use it with another Mac or PC.
    • Wi-Fi sync is only available between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS or Android devices.

Dropbox or iCloud would be far simpler. We recommend them for everyone who doesn't want the benefits of a family account. But you could try some "advanced stunt syncing" and go with Folder Sync.

Folder Sync just takes a lot more work to set up, and we can't necessarily assist with whatever solution you use keep the folders in sync on each Mac. (Yes, it doesn't require you to set up something else to keep the folders in sync. 1Password just writes the data to a folder, so you can use your own sync solution.)

This discussion has been closed.