1Password 3.9.20 won't work with Firefox 47

Options
romad
romad
Community Member
edited June 2016 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Because I have an iPhone 3GS and iPad 3 in addition to iPhone 6 & iPad Mini 3, and am running Mac OS X.10.8.5, I've had to stay with !Password 3.8.22 on my iMac. I have been using Firefox 39 but because there are sites that refuse to play nice with it, I downloaded Firefox 47. However, I'm told that "1Password could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled" How can I get it to work?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: Mac OS X.10.8.5
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 3.9.20 won't work with Firefox 47

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romad,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

You will need to either switch browsers or upgrade 1Password (which in your case would require a whole string of upgrades it sounds like, so switching browsers might be the easier option).

Learn more about the 1Password 3 extension in Firefox 40 or later.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, neither of those options are easy. If I move to El Capitan, and use the current version of 1Password with Firefox 47, will I still be able to update my 1PasswordiOS data files on the iPhone 3GS and the iPad 3 by launching 1Password 3.8.22? I don't launch the 1Password for Mac app every day, so I'd only be using the older version for updating the older iDevices then shutting it down.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad: You're right, it isn't easy relying on legacy stuff — apps, OSes, or hardware. I'm not sure there's anything I can recommend wholeheartedly if you're determined to stick with 1Password touch version 3 on iOS. Setting aside everything else for a moment, you're probably trying to use the latest browser release (and rightly so) to take advantage of security improvements, and the same very much applies to OS versions.

Given that you're a 1Password user, I can only imagine that you must be security conscious, and this is something that's worth considering before worrying about which 1Password versions to use where. I love 1Password obviously, but like any app its security depends in part on the system itself, so I think that's a more pressing matter.

And keep in mind that being on iOS 4(?) on the iPhone means you're stuck with a super outdated version of Safari. I don't recall all the specifics since ca. 2012, but I have a general memory of the innumerable security vulnerabilities patched in both the browser and its OS in the intervening years — to say nothing of website compatibility.

You could, of course, use an older version of Firefox on OS X as well, but it isn't something I'd encourage you to do. Ultimately it's up to you, and we'll do what we can to help, but at a certain point it becomes impossible — and you're sort of asking us to assist you in doing things that put your security at risk (using browsers and OSes with known weaknesses).

Don't get me wrong: I love my iPhone 3G. I still have it, and it works. But I wouldn't dare use it for anything mission critical or sensitive at this point. That makes me sad, as it was my first iPhone and I have a warm place in my heart for it and still love the way it feels in the hand, but that shop has sailed.

But I can tell you that 1Password 3 on iOS can only Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password 3 on OS X. El Capitan causes some insignificant usability problems for 1Password 3, but I believe that Wi-Fi Sync at least works there. Yosemite, on the other hand, seems to do just fine with 1Password 3. And El Capitan is a big improvement over Yosemite and others that came before it, so I'd hate to see you stick yourself with something lesser for the sake of running an old version of 1Password. I'll be honest, it's probably just time to let go of the 3GS, at least for daily use. Much newer iPhones that can run iOS 9 (and soon 10) can be had for much less than the top-of-the-line, and you'd be doing yourself a favour by getting the extra performance, compatibility, and features — to say nothing of the modern version of 1Password.

I know that's probably not the answer you want, but it's an honest one; and I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Well, the 3GS is my back-up iPhone - it came in handy when I lost my iPhone 5 and had to wait 4-5 months before I was eligible to buy a new iPhone 6. So it is a matter of covering my bases. If something happened to my iPhone 6 and I had to reactivate the 3GS, I would need some way of updating the 1Password datafile on it. As for getting a newer iPhone as a back-up, I don't see any 128GB iPhones for less than full price.

I have 4 2TB hard drives arriving today, so I'll probably partition one and clone my current Mac OS X.10.8.5 install to it then use it for 1Password 3 as long as I need to. Once that is done, I can put El Capitan on my iMac's internal drive.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad,

Well, the 3GS is my back-up iPhone - it came in handy when I lost my iPhone 5 and had to wait 4-5 months before I was eligible to buy a new iPhone 6. So it is a matter of covering my bases.

Absolutely! I have some old phones for that exact purpose. I haven't needed to use one yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed and keeping the phones around just in case. :+1:

As for the storage capacity, I have all my data backed up on my Mac, so a backup phone would only need to make phone calls, send iMessages, and check email until I can get a new device. I wouldn't load up much of anything that would really use any storage capacity. But that is me. YMMV!

Once that is done, I can put El Capitan on my iMac's internal drive.

I think you will really enjoy it! I can't even imagine jumping from Mountain Lion to El Capitan. I'm sort of jealous that you get to experience so many years of accumulated awesomeness all at once. :)

This discussion has been closed.