Is it possible my Dropbox file was deleted during a computer wipe?

Options
darkfiore
darkfiore
Community Member

Hello,

My computer recently underwent a wipe when I left my old company, and now when I'm installing and trying to set up 1Password, I can no longer locate my vault file on Dropbox. I am assuming I'll need to set up a new vault unfortunately, but I wanted to check first to see 1) if there's any way I can retrieve that file and 2) if it is even possible that my Dropbox file may have been deleted via sync during the wipe, if not then I'm not sure how it disappeared (but I guess that's another story).

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darkfiore,

Sorry to hear that you're unable to locate your data! I can imagine that would be a real pain. :unamused:

I wanted to check first to see 1) if there's any way I can retrieve that file

Yes! :) You can restore deleted files from Dropbox's website. Instructions are here.

and 2) if it is even possible that my Dropbox file may have been deleted via sync during the wipe

No. The only way to remove a sync file from Dropbox is to delete it from the Dropbox folder directly.

Which version of 1Password are you using? As of I think version 4, 1Password for Mac stores your data locally on the Mac by default; the Dropbox sync file is created if/when you set up Dropbox sync and exists separately from the local data. If the data is still anywhere on your computer (even in Dropbox), a Diagnostics Report should be able to find it.

So if you'd like to create and email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac (along with a link to this discussion), we'd be happy to give you specific instructions for finding/restoring any 1Password vault(s) you may still have on the Mac. If you do send us a Diagnostics Report, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down your report and make sure you get a quick response. :+1:

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.