Trying to create an "In Case of Emergency" vault on my Mac using shared folder?

Izzie_bum
Izzie_bum
Community Member

Hey folks!
So I'm trying to create an "In Case of Emergency" vault on my Mac. The idea is that if anything were to happen to me, my boyfriend who has a user profile on my laptop or someone using the guest account would be able to log into that one vault and get select information.

I created a secondary vault with copies of only a few of my accounts.

Under preferences, I set this vault to sync in the shared folder on my computer.

However, when I tested this vault out under another user it would ask me for my master password and not the unique one I set for the emergency vault.

Upon logging in with the master password, it was showing ALL my items, not just the select ones.

Any idea why this happened that way, or maybe another option to do what I'm looking to do? Ultimately I have no need for a family license or anything. All I want is to create a vault that would allow access to my accounts for my family in the event of my unexpected demise or vanishment (lol).

Cheers
~Izzie

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.12 (beta)
Sync Type: Shared Folder / Same Machine
Referrer: ug:mac/multiple-vaults, kb:undefined, kb-search:Shared vault, kb:undefined, kb-search:vault

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forums @Izzie_bum! This sounds like a good use of 1Password :)

At the moment 1Password only unlocks with the Master Password of the first vault connected to it. This means that setting up the other vault is handy, but unless your boyfriend has access to your Master Password, he won't be able to unlock that specific vault. We're hoping to improve this in the future but right now I can't guess at if or when this might change.

In the meantime, perhaps you could create a password-protected document containing the information he needs to access? That's not the most elegant of solutions, but it would allow you to share this information with him without having to worry about him seeing anything he isn't supposed to see in your main vaults. :)

• Izzie_bum
    Izzie_bum
    Community Member

Hey!
    Thank you for the advice and quick reply.
    I'll do something like that for now.

Cheers,
    ~izzie

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Izzie_bum,

That's great to hear. Thanks for joining us here in our support forum, and we're glad you could find a suitable answer here! I'll also mention the 1Password Emergency Kit published by our friends at Productivityist. You could fill that out and keep it somewhere safe to be accessed by a loved one in case of emergency.

Either way, good on you for thinking ahead and being prepared! I hope you have a great weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.