How to send 1 object from 1PW to other 1PW user securly?

Chris90
Chris90
Community Member
edited June 2016 in iOS

Hello all
In past it was possible to transfer by mail singel objekts form my 1PW to 1PW of other users?
This transfer was cripted.
Now I can send objects by mail from within 1PW but I creive a warning that the transfer ist not crypted.

How cann I transfer objects securly from one 1PW user to other 1PW user?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Chris90
    Chris90
    Community Member

I use the newest pro version on my iOS, OS10.11 and Win10

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@chris90 there's a bit of a misconception there. Items shared before a recent update were never encrypted, they were merely obfuscated. This means that anyone with 1Password installed would have been able to view the item, which poses a security risk. We originally removed the feature entirely so people could be more secure, but we brought it back after some customers told us it was critical to them, with the caveat that we'd no longer make it seem like sharing items in this way is more secure than it really is.

I hope that makes sense. If you were comfortable with the security of the previous share feature, you should feel comfortable using the new one, as it offers the same level of protection and is much more upfront about what's really happening :)

• Chris90
    Chris90
    Community Member

Oh!!!
    So I was at risk in the passt.
    :|

To come back to my original question: How can I ocasionaly share objects 100% securly between different 1PW user?

• The most secure cross platform way to do so is to create and share a vault with them:

How to share a vault using Dropbox

Sharing individual items via AirDrop or iMessage is also secure, but obviously requires Apple devices. Sharing via SMS is not secure, and sharing via email is only secure if you take further steps to encrypt the messages between you and the recipient (e.x. PGP).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Chris90
    Chris90
    Community Member

Thanks Ben!
    I have a secure Email service between the devices I want to share singel objects. So this is a option!
    Sharing with iMessage ist IMHO not perfect, as the singel message with the object can NOT be deleated from iMessage, so if some one has access to the sending or receiving devices, he will have access to the sent object.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have a secure Email service between the devices I want to share singel objects. So this is a option!

@Chris90: Great!

Sharing with iMessage ist IMHO not perfect, as the singel message with the object can NOT be deleated from iMessage, so if some one has access to the sending or receiving devices, he will have access to the sent object.

Well that will be true in any case if someone has access to the device: they will be able to view anything you can there. End to end encryption can only protect the communication channel. If you're viewing the data at either end (as you will in your emails as well), the data must be decrypted first, so it's important to secure the device itself. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.