1PW Apple watch enabled...now app on iPhone 6S plus not usable.

Joe_raidenshine
Joe_raidenshine
Community Member

I'm a new subscriber to Families. I'm running latest versions from Apple App store as of 6/30/16. Everything works fine on my IMac and iPad. The problem is I enabled the apple watch feature on my iPhone 6S plus. App now requires add account setup. However, that information already exists and won't allow login. I have reinstalled the app. Everything works fine until I close down 1PW on my phone. The problem then returns. I understand from reading through the forums that the Families apple watch feature is under development. Until then, I'd like to restore the app so I can use it on my phone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Joe_raidenshine: I'm sorry to say that I don't understand the problem you're describing. I'll try to clarify some things that might be relevant, and then I hope you'll be kind enough to fill in some of the blanks for me here if you're still having trouble.

First and foremost, unless you're part of the TestFlight beta, the version of 1Password for iOS you're using doesn't have "development" code in it. 1Password for Apple Watch is very much stable code that was released last year, with the addition of some options in the interim.

Continuing from there, since 1Password for Apple Watch predates 1Password Families, it cannot read data from those vaults. So the only way to add 1Password items to Apple Watch currently is by using a Primary (local) vault. This is really not convenient at all, which is why we're working to add 1Password Families support in a future version.

If you've setup 1Password for iOS initially by logging into your 1Password Families account, you simply won't have an Add to Apple Watch option in any of your items, and it isn't possible to retroactively create a Primary (local) vault in addition to your 1Password Families vaults.

So to use both 1Password for Apple Watch and 1Password Families (not together, but side by side) currently it is necessary to reinstall the app, set it up without logging into a 1Password Account (either using sync or by creating a new vault on the device) and then add your 1Password Families account. Then you'll have Primary (local), Personal (1Password Families), and any other vaults you've added. You can then copy some items to the Primary vault, enable 1Password for Apple Watch, and Add to Apple Watch individual items.

Now, getting back to your issue(s?):

The problem is I enabled the apple watch feature on my iPhone 6S plus.

I guess I don't quite understand exactly what you're saying the problem is here.

App now requires add account setup. However, that information already exists and won't allow login.

I think this might be the key. Can you tell me more about this? What's happening exactly? Are you receiving some sort of error message?

I have reinstalled the app. Everything works fine until I close down 1PW on my phone. The problem then returns. I understand from reading through the forums that the Families apple watch feature is under development. Until then, I'd like to restore the app so I can use it on my phone.

What do you mean by "close down"? Are you force quitting the app? When you try to open it again, what happens? Thanks in advance!

• Joe_raidenshine
    Joe_raidenshine
    Community Member

I've created a primary vault on my phone and have iCloud sync enabled. I've manually added some logins into the primary vault and enabled the apple watch with good results.

What I haven't figured out is how to view my Personal families vault on my phone so I can copy files into the primary vault. My Families account is signed in on my phone but I'm unable to view anything in the vault.

My previous issues were temporarily having the ability to view my families account on my phone without a primary vault. It was fine until I enabled apple watch settings. When the app was closed under normal conditions, I lost the ability to unlock 1PW on my phone.

Thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've created a primary vault on my phone and have iCloud sync enabled. I've manually added some logins into the primary vault and enabled the apple watch with good results.

@Joe_raidenshine: Awesome! The only caveats with this setup are that if you want this Primary vault on other devices you'll need to sync it; and any items you copy there will not be updated if you change the original copies in the other vault(s). It's not ideal, so we're anxious to make it possible to use any vault's items with Apple Watch. Thanks for your patience!

What I haven't figured out is how to view my Personal families vault on my phone so I can copy files into the primary vault. My Families account is signed in on my phone but I'm unable to view anything in the vault.

There are a few considerations here, but the most important is to switch to the correct vault by tapping the vault icon in the upper left. There you can select your Personal vault, provided you've already logged into your account in 1Password Settings > Accounts.

My previous issues were temporarily having the ability to view my families account on my phone without a primary vault. It was fine until I enabled apple watch settings. When the app was closed under normal conditions, I lost the ability to unlock 1PW on my phone. Thanks for the help!

Oh dear. Don't thank me yet! I'm afraid I'm still confused by your description here. What do you mean "lost the ability to unlock 1PW on my phone"? What's happening when you try to unlock it? Please tell me the exact steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening as you expect. A screenshot may help. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure to not include any sensitive information, as this is a public forum. We'll get to the bottom of this!

• Joe_raidenshine
    Joe_raidenshine
    Community Member

Everything is working now on all my devices. All vaults are now present on my phone and iPad. The trick was to delete the app, create the primary vault, then sign into my families account...in that exact order! My problems occurred when I signed into Families without having a Primary vault created on my devices. Had no issues at all on my iMac.

I've been adding and testing for the last few days. All vaults in my Families account are properly synced. Very happy now! Thanks so much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to setup a Primary vault to use with your Apple Watch for now. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.