I can only add items from my primary vault to my apple watch. Is this intentional?

Tsubashi
Tsubashi
Community Member

The title sums it up well. I recently added a new vault to store passwords for work, and wanted to add all the one-time passwords to my watch. I had no trouble syncing and viewing the passwords on my phone, but could find no option to add it to my watch. Out of curiosity, I moved one of the passwords from my work vault to my primary vault via my mac, then re-synced the phone and checked. Voilà, the option appeared and functioned as I would expect.

My question is this: Is this intentional? I expected it to work since syncing multiple vaults is a supported action on iOS. If not, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help

1Password Version: 6.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I can only add items from my primary vault to my apple watch. Is this intentional?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I can only add items from my primary vault to my apple watch. Is this intentional?

@Tsubashi: I'm sorry for the confusion there! Yes. 1Password for Apple Watch only supports the Primary vault, so it isn't currently possible to add items from Secondary (or 1Password Families/Teams) vaults there. It's something we're very keen to add in the future though, so we appreciate you letting us know that you find yourself longing to be able to add items from other vaults. Thanks! :)

• Tsubashi
    Tsubashi
    Community Member

Good to know. Is this documented somewhere that I missed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

@Tsubashi: I have to apologize. I'm sorry to say that it was documented, but it seems that particular article was removed when we did some knowledgebase reorganization — or it's simply somewhere neither of us can easily find it. Either way, not helpful. I've brought this up with the team so we can remedy that. I'm glad you asked!

And that reminds me of something that's always frustrated me too: It's never easy to find something unless you know you're looking for it. Such is life, I suppose. But when it comes to 1Password at least, we're always here for you. And again, I'm sorry for the hassle there. Be sure to reach out if you have any other questions! :chuffed:

そして、可愛い写真ね!

• Tsubashi
    Tsubashi
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who couldn't find it. I hate to burden people and ask things I could have discovered for myself with a little more effort.

Also, I'm glad you liked my avatar! A friend made it for me a long time ago.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, no problem! And it's never a burden. After all, if you're having trouble finding the information, we're not doing our job either — and when you contact us to find out, it's an opportunity for us to improve that. Thank you! :chuffed:

• Cdhutch
    Cdhutch
    Community Member

I'd like to suggest the ability to share passwords from other than one's Primary vault with the Watch as a feature request. It really helps when one needs quick access to one-time passwords on logins which have been shared with the Family.
    Thanks you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Cdhutch: Agreed. It's definitely on our list. As you can imagine, this is a limitation we run into regularly ourselves. Thanks for letting us know that it's important to you as well!

• Ragnar_Kon
    Ragnar_Kon
    Community Member

+1 on adding items to the Apple Watch from a non-Primary vault.

Judging by the discussions on this board, it has been requested several times (Team/Family vaults as well), so hopefully development is underway. But I figured I would add my name to the list.

• Omar Shahine
    Omar Shahine
    Community Member

OMG I thought I was going crazy trying to figure this out. Most of my passwords are in a shared vault. Please fix. Also some kind of note about this in the learn more would go a long way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ragnar_Kon: Thanks! But honestly, even if no one had requested this we very much want to be able to use all of our own vaults anyway. ;)

@Omar Shane: I'm sorry you doubted your sanity because of this! We're working to make 1Password for Apple Watch capable of reading from any vault type. Thanks for your patience!

• Omar Shahine
    Omar Shahine
    Community Member

So I can't do it for my personal vault either. I'm 1Password for families. Is that the same issue ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016

@Omar Shahine: Correct. 1Password for Apple Watch can only access data in the Primary (local) vault. So if you're using only a 1Password Account (and therefore no local vaults), you won't have a Primary vault at all, and that is the only one which can be used currently — not Personal, Shared, secondary local vaults, or any others you create on 1Password.com. We're working on making this possible in a future release though. Keep an eye out for updates!

This discussion has been closed.