1Password for Families - does it have a browser extension? [1Password 6 Beta desktop, yes]

Options
zebu
zebu
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I setup 1password for desktop, and loved the browser extension. I decided to try 1password for family as another way to share vaults. But am i correct in that 1password for family doesnt have a browser extension?? ie i need to login to a the 1password url and access pages from there?? No autofill/save new passwords function?? Am i missing something obvious here? Thanks (using windows 10)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LauraR
    Options

Hi @zebu - A complete solution for 1Password for Families on Windows is coming soon. We offer 1Password for Windows Modern on a Windows 10 PC though this version doesn’t include browser extensions. It does have its own browser and you can use Go and Fill to open your website in this browser. If you don’t have Windows 10 then you can access your Family vault through the Chrome or Firefox browser, and this also allows the editing of 1Password items. Our developers are working hard to release a complete solution for Windows over the next few months. Once it is available, we will be announcing it in our newsletter (https://agilebits.com/newsletter) and on our blog (https://blog.agilebits.com).

• tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    Options

Oh my. I'm a long time 1Password user and just signed on for the next year anticipating that 1Password on Windows would just work as well. Wow. Quite the disappointment. Thank you for at least stating "next few months" as two years later I'm still waiting for promised multi-vault support on Android (which is the biggest reason I switched to 1Password for Families/Teams).

Yes, I'm aware that features don't grow on trees, and greatly appreciate the rebuild of the Windows version (because the old version is painfully behind the Mac version), but it would have been more up front to state this significant caveat along with "but Windows 10 is required".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Oh my. I'm a long time 1Password user and just signed on for the next year anticipating that 1Password on Windows would just work as well. Wow. Quite the disappointment. Thank you for at least stating "next few months" as two years later I'm still waiting for promised multi-vault support on Android (which is the biggest reason I switched to 1Password for Families/Teams).

@tulbox: I apologize for that disappointment. Regarding Windows, it was important to have everything nailed down for shipping 1Password Families/Teams and to finalize things to avoid having to rewrite the apps on multiple platforms. Since OS X and iOS can share a lot of code, it made sense to start with those, to have a solution for the most people. As a Windows (and Android user, to some extent), this is incredibly difficult, and I'm sorry that this decision, however rational, has negatively impacted you, me, and the rest of the 1Password for Windows fans. :blush:

As for multi-vault support for Android, OPVault was an equally (if not more so) requested feature, and while being limited to a single local vault is really inconvenient, I think it made sense to get OPVault there first so that the multi-vault feature will be even more useful once it's added. However, I appreciate that multiple local vaults are much more appealing to you right now, given multiple 1Password Families/Teams vaults aren't available in the Windows 7/8 app yet. Between a rock and a hard place, as they say. :(

Yes, I'm aware that features don't grow on trees, and greatly appreciate the rebuild of the Windows version (because the old version is painfully behind the Mac version), but it would have been more up front to state this significant caveat along with "but Windows 10 is required".

Indeed, I wish it wasn't taking us this long, but we really want to take the time to get this right. The 1Password for Windows desktop app is more complex because it needs to work across multiple OS versions, but as you suggest it's also an opportunity to update the app on multiple levels. Thanks for your patience and understanding...even though that doesn't make the waiting any easier.

• rrogers
    rrogers
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say I share the other posters disappointment.

I used 1Password for a couple of years before migrating to another service simply because the Windows experience was starting to feel a bit dated. I was behind the times and just heard about the plan for families today and couldn't sign up fast enough. After an hour of trying to get the extensions to work, assuming that I was doing something wrong, a search brought me to this post and the smile immediately fell off my face.

I know I am a somewhat rare case in that I have what I like to call a 33%,33%,33% workflow (Windows, iOS, OS X), and while two of my three are covered, each one is critical for my day to day work. Unfortunately that means I still cannot come back to 1Password. I understand there is a built in browser in the Win10 app but that is not really a good solution for everyday use in my opinion, I need to be able to use a mainstream browser.

While I know 1Password was born as a Mac application I really think that if the new plan is going to be sold as true cross platform service it should not have been released as a complete solution when it is not truly complete. I feel that it was misleading to say that there is current support for Windows when in reality the solution is in beta at best.

"What platforms are supported?
    1Password Families works with the latest version of the 1Password apps on OS X (Yosemite and newer), iOS 9, and Android 5.0 or newer. You can also sign in from any modern web browser. If you use Windows 10, we invite you to install our brand new app from the Windows Store. Older versions of Windows will be supported soon."

I think the information about compatibility is a bit vague and while I am sure a little more research on my part would have gotten me the full story I think it would be more transparent to change the verbiage on this a bit.

Of course all of this is just my two cents and I wish the programming team the best of luck in getting the Windows side up to snuff. Despite feeling a little deceived I will certainly be willing to give it another shot when full compatibility is reached.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @rrogers,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we do appreciate it. We do apologize for the disappointment and we had no intention of trying to deceive anyone. We were working on getting the first Windows beta with full support out prior to the Families/Teams launch but things didn’t go our ways and we had to take a different route, which meant it was going to be longer than we've thought. We are working as fast as we can to bring the first-class 1Password experience that Windows deserve.

The browser extensions support is on top of our list to implement soon but it will take a while to finish it. Among our list was Windows 7 and we’ve just shipped the first beta version of 1Password 6 for Windows that’ll run on Windows 7 and above. We’ve added support for All Vaults in yesterday’s beta update already and more are coming in the near future.

While we're not there yet, we will strive to get it to the state that you can be happy to come back to 1Password.

• AndiNorthrop
    AndiNorthrop
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any word on when Families will be getting extension support in Windows? I'm trying to get on with 1Password but it's proving difficult on Windows (you really need to consolidate the number of apps you offer - I downloaded all three before I found an "Import" button). Finally got up and running and installed the Chrome extension only to be told that I need version 4, which doesn't sync to my Families account.

I realise you've got a lot of changes going on, but everything seems a bit of a mess at the moment. I like your ethos but I'm not sure I'll be putting my billing info in yet.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @AndiNorthrop,

This thread is outdated but we've shipped the initial limited support for the browser extensions last month for the 1Password 6 Beta desktop app here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-to-our-windows-family#latest

The Helper error message you saw from the extension hasn't been updated to reflect 1Password 6 but it is the same extension for both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6.

All you have to do is install 1Password 6 Beta desktop app and sign into your 1Password Families account. Restart the browser, visit one of your site's login page and then click on 1Password icon in your browser, it should then fill. There's no UI yet for showing you content when you click on the 1Password icon, it simply fills for the moment.

• AndiNorthrop
    AndiNorthrop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, that's good to know - and I'm all up and running now :) - but you really need to consolidate all your Windows info into some kind of 'getting started' guide that lists exactly what you need for different setups e.g. I'm running Windows 10 so downloaded that version, but then discovered that I can't use it if I want the browser extension (whose description still says I need version 4) to work.

Different parts of the site encourage you to download different versions - your products are good, but it's very confusing trying to get started!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndiNorthrop: Sorry for the confusion! Since it really depends on what you've purchased (a standalone license versus a subscription), we have instructions for each in their respective areas. In either case, the email you receive when you get started will cover this: the license email will direct you to download 1Password 4, and 1Password Families has "install the apps" links. And in the case of either, they'll run on any supported version of Windows: 7, 8.1, and 10.

That said, we'll be changing the extension page to be more version-agnostic once 1Password 6 is officially out of beta, but it's not time yet. And if there's some oversight on a particular page, be sure to let us know so we can correct it. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.