Different users, same computer

bebosoft
bebosoft
Community Member

I'm using 1Password6 on Windows10 and MacOS X to access our teams vaults. We have four public computers (Mac and Windows) that any of us can use to give customer service, but when we open 1Password, it's expecting a password from the user that originally signed in. What if I need four different users access 1Password from the same computer?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10/MacOS X
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:multiple logins same machine

Comments

• Hey @bebosoft! Very good question. I would recommend using separate user accounts for each team member, because 1Password for Mac and Windows only uses one Master Password — that's the whole point of 1Password after all. :) If you have separate user accounts, each one can have their own 1Password app set up with their team account.

Another option would be to use 1Password.com and simply sign in with a each user in the browser, but it's not as convenient and it doesn't include the browser extensions like the apps do. A few people have asked us about this kind of scenario in the past, and we're looking into a solution for it. Hope this helps in the meantime!

• bebosoft
    bebosoft
    Community Member

In our case is not possible to have each user with a different OS account because we're running a POS software with four computers in the store front, and different operators will be working with customers at any time on any computer. Switching users accounts will take more time and will require an additional license from our POS vendor to connect to the database server.

• @bebosoft Good to know. Well, hopefully we have something better for you in the future. :)

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member

Please, this is such a common use case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikesilva: It doesn't seem to be that common...and also it's not good for security to allow multiple people access to the same machine without separate user accounts, as if any of them turn evil or make a mistake, the system could be compromised for everyone using that account, including everyone's 1Password data. Better safe than sorry — especially in a sensitive environment with employees who may or may not be trustworthy!

• DonJohn
    DonJohn
    Community Member

I agree this seems like a common use case. We have several machines that are shared and passwords needed vary based on the user at that machine at that time. I find that I am emailing passwords I need when I go work on a machine that isn't "mine" so that I'll have my passwords. I would much rather see the ability to install more than 1 user account for a team on the same machine and then control the access using the password entered for example. Or let us pick the "user" and then if the password matches, access... I guess I really expected the team app to function more like that than it does. Hopefully in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DonJohn: Certainly if it is your use case it will seem common. We just don't see this come up that often, since modern OSes have had multi user support for decades. 1Password Teams is a password management system first and foremost though. This is an area we're interested in, but it's more difficult to make a case for effectively "reinventing the wheel" to build multi user support into 1Password itself when the OS provides this already. But certainly there are cases where this would be useful, and hearing about them is the only way something like this may make its way into 1Password someday. Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.