Families/Teams Account recovery mail?

2»

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem,

You can still sign in to a frozen account in the apps in order to get your data out. So, in that sense, it "syncs" from the server to your local machine. However, since you can't add or edit anything, there are no changes to sync. The data, once on the machine is static.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@khad, I am have had an idea about Families which is to start from Windows or MAC and maintain the data like I would today.

MAC - iOS
    Win - IOS

MAC - Families - iOS
    Win - Families - iOS

I could not go iOS - MAC or MAC to Win / Win to MAC as the client - server protocols won't allow it.

I just want to keep it updated.It never hurts to have a little (or a lot of) redundancy.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

I could not go iOS - MAC or MAC to Win / Win to MAC as the client - server protocols won't allow it.

To what client-server protocols are you referring? Any connection between two devices should work both ways.

I just want to keep it updated.It never hurts to have a little (or a lot of) redundancy.

That is true! But with 1Password Families and 1Password Teams your data is stored on your devices as well as on our servers. (It's end-to-end encrypted so we never have access to the data in your vaults.) That's pretty redundant! You could also create a Primary vault outside of 1Password Families or 1Password Teams that you sync via iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi Sync to have some extra redundancy there. 8-)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi @nmott,

If you look at MAC, iOS and Windows, the mobile offerings are always a subset of the desktop ones. I thought about wi-fi sync's inability to do iPad to iPhone if that's what I have with me. Also, I cannot from MAC to Windows directly or the reverse.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

If you look at MAC, iOS and Windows, the mobile offerings are always a subset of the desktop ones. I thought about wi-fi sync's inability to do iPad to iPhone if that's what I have with me. Also, I cannot from MAC to Windows directly or the reverse.

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for clarifying that you were referring to Wi-Fi Sync.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi @nmott, Is it possible to switch back and forth between Families and/or Teams if I'm undecided? What would it take to open 2 accounts and possibly abandon one of them?

Teams may be useful for me if I take 1Password to the office. Presently 1Password Standalone is at home and there's no 1Password in the office.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nmott, Is it possible to switch back and forth between Families and/or Teams if I'm undecided? What would it take to open 2 accounts and possibly abandon one of them?

@wkleem: Absolutely! Just sign up for one of each and have at it! You'll have a month to play with both to see which is a better fit for you. :)

Teams may be useful for me if I take 1Password to the office. Presently 1Password Standalone is at home and there's no 1Password in the office.

1Password Teams is a much better choice if you'll be using it in a business environment. After all, there's (generally) a greater degree of trust in a family, and you get to choose who you invite to the account. In a company, unless you're doing the hiring, you'll be working with people you don't necessarily want to trust with all of your secrets — or the company's: you can keep the finance stuff only in the hands of the finance people, etc., with a lot more granular control over individual permissions.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if there are particular scenarios you need to consider. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. If 1Password for Families/Teams needs a minimum of iOS 9 for the 1Password for iOS to "see" Families/Teams. how does iOS 8 or 7 interact with iPassword then. I'm (1Password Families/Teams) unclear on whether if will work through to iOS 8 or 7 browse (Safari)r.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Thanks for following up on this. 1Password.com requires the browser to support a recent version of TLS, since older protocols have known security vulnerabilities that can be exploited. This is a handy site to check your browser's capabilities:

https://www.howsmyssl.com

While we won't be reducing the site's security to accommodate older browsers, hopefully you have other devices which are more up to date.

Hi

Interestingly, running How's My SSL on the Lumia 920's WP8.1 IE browser passes. I would have thought that would not be the case!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: I'm not super surprised, given that TLS 1.2 was finalized in 2008 and updated in 2011. But I should note that TLS isn't the only requirement the 1Password Teams/Families web interface has. That only applies to the protocol used for secure communications between your browser and the server. More significantly, 1Password.com requires WebCrypto support, and to my knowledge no version of Internet Explorer — even version 11 on Windows 7, 8, and 10 — supports this fully.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Oops! I just now noticed your previous post:

Thanks for all your replies. If 1Password for Families/Teams needs a minimum of iOS 9 for the 1Password for iOS to "see" Families/Teams. how does iOS 8 or 7 interact with iPassword then. I'm (1Password Families/Teams) unclear on whether if will work through to iOS 8 or 7 browse (Safari)r.

Indeed, only 1Password 6 on iOS 9 supports 1Password Families/Teams. However, it may work in the browser on iOS 7 or 8 for 1Password Accounts created this year...but I don't have any on hand to test, so it's possible that older versions of Mobile Safari (and therefore other iOS browsers, since they use Safari's engine) may not meet the minimum requirements of 1Password.com — but there's no harm in trying! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hi @brenty

There is some confusion here. iOS fails under How's my SSL browser test. I am still trying to understand what works in mobile browsers and what doesn't.

Does per Account for Families and Teams mean different emails or can I use the same email for both or use extended email support , like name+plus at domain com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

There is some confusion here. iOS fails under How's my SSL browser test. I am still trying to understand what works in mobile browsers and what doesn't.

@wkleem: It'll depend on the iOS version, since each comes with a different version of Safari, much like OS X does.

Does per Account for Families and Teams mean different emails or can I use the same email for both or use extended email support , like name+plus at domain com

You can use whichever email address you choose for your 1Password Account. But you'll only be able to login to 1Password using one account from any given 1Password Family or 1Password Team at a time.

For example, I can't login to both my own 1Password Account and a test account from my 1Password Family in 1Password 6 on the same iPhone. However, I'm logged into multiple different 1Password Families and 1Password Teams there. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks.

That makes sense. It's a bit like Dropbox/1PasswordAnywhere. I could not use Dropbox to unlock my AgileKeychain but I could use the browser to unlock the Master Password for the vault that is in Dropbox. :)

Browser = 1Password Families or Teams Account.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Odd that I see @sjk reply to this discussion in Notifications but his reply doesn't appear when I am browsing through it without using Notifications.

Clicking on @sjk's reply, I see Comment not found message.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

I deleted that reply shortly after posting, @wkleem. It was related to your last comment on page 1, before realizing this discussion was now into page 2. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

No problems. It does appear odd that any discussion removal will leave evidence of the removed comment's existence.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: If you have notifications enabled, the notification can't be retroactively erased from existence. Sorry for the confusion there!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

I'm still confused about how 1Password Families might work without access to the 1Password latest versions. E.g. for my Lumia 920, 1Password stopped updating at the Alpha stage, so I'm left with the browser. Is it eligible for 1Password Teams/Families via mobile browsers?

There doesn't appear to be a Win Mobile 10 for older Lumias although it was suggested that it might have been possible more than 6 months ago in Nov 2015.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Only Windows 10 mobile devices are able to use UWP apps (of which the new Windows Store app is one). Depending on the browser's capabilities, it may be possible to use the web interface, but I don't have any older Windows Phone devices to try it with.

Essentially, 1Password Families (and Teams) requires a device that can either run the latest 1Password app or supports modern browser standards to use 1Password.com instead. And given that the Windows phone platform is pretty much dead, I don't expect we'll be creating a new app for older devices/versions. Being able to run on Windows 10 phones is a benefit of using UWP, and we likely wouldn't have an app running on any Windows phones without it.

• ham20912
    ham20912
    Community Member

I use 1Password Families - do the help guides, for example "1Password Teams Admin Guide: Account Recovery" , apply to the Families version as they do for the Teams version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ham20912: Yep! Some of the terminology is different, but the concept (and usage) is the same. With 1Password Families there isn't a separate "recovery" role, but instead all Organizers will have the ability to perform recovery for other members. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ham20912
    ham20912
    Community Member

Thanks. And this goes for most all of the documentation, in addition to Account Recovery - when there is no specific documentation for the Families version, when it says "Teams", I can read "Families"

• ham20912
    ham20912
    Community Member

My last post probably was not clear - I was hoping to confirm that the "Teams" documentation applies when there is no specific documentation for the similar function in "Families"?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@ham20912, in most cases they are very similar. Account Recovery is one of those cases. :)

We need to improve the 1Password Families documentation. The existing 1Password Teams Admin Guide was written before 1Password Families existed, so there is more content we are still working to write. Some more recent documents cover both, and more are coming. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.