Used for years on a Mac. Always super buggy... Help!

Hi AgileBits,

I've used 1Password for years on my Mac, and in general it's great! However, it's super buggy, and I have no idea why.

• When I click "edit" on any password, the "name" category (top text box) goes white/black and appears empty
  • While editing, if I click to edit any text box, the same thing happens: the text box goes white/black and appears empty. I can't see what I'm editing at all.
  • I get some insight into what's going on when I click to "edit" the "notes" section. The "notes" still go white/black and appear empty; however, sometimes I can see the text in the box, but it's hugely magnified, like 20x to 50x magnified from the size of the letters when I'm not "editing" the box. Sometimes the letters un-magnify and I get a glimpse at 1 - 4 x the appropriate size, so I can kind of aim my cursor. Sometimes the letters are so large that they're not letters at all, which I'm guessing creates the white/black 'empty' appearance of most of the boxes.

Does anyone else experience this type of thing? I bought 1Password years ago so I've just kind of lived with it for a long time, and I can't find any sort of similar experiences on the forums. Here's some info about my machine and browser (though I don't think 1password goes through a browser?)

Computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, early 2011)
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

1Password: version 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Copyright 2006-2013
Note: 1Password sometimes says "update to version 4!." I click on the link to update, and the link says "you've already updated!." Perhaps my problem is an out-of-date version? If so, how should I update?

I have no idea what my Sync Type is, but I'd be happy to look it up with pointers about how :)

Thanks!
Ellen

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: I'm not sure
Referrer: forum-search:Used for years on a Mac. Always super buggy... Help!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@klemmeellen as your post relates to 1P3 for Mac I have moved the post from the 1Password for Mac forum to the 1P3 legacy forum where you will get more help.

The best place to start is by reading this sticky at the top of the forum.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@klemmeellen: Indeed, a lot has changed in macOS (née OS X) since 1Password 3 was developed. It's usable-ish in some circumstances, but 1Password 6 supports El Capitan fully, so that would be a better option. 1Password 3 hasn't been in active development for years, so it won't be receiving updates that will help — and it seems as if El Capitan might not receive many updates either since Sierra is imminent.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

1Password Version: 3.8.22
    Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.5

Where to start? :( . There is a problem with the 1Password v3.8.22 and Extension v4.5.7.90. 1Password 3.8.22 was never compatible with any versions of the v4.x Extensions. Unfortunately, 1Password 3.8.22 is long gone from my Mac for me to of any help here.

The sync type will be Dropbox. But with 1PasswordAnywhere deprecated, you likely will have a problem as well when attempting to access the data.

Also, purchasing 1Password 6 allows a license to run 1Password 4 and 5 from the same purchase. It includes 1Password 3 as well, if I recall correctly.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Actually, I've come to realise that most of the OP's questions have been covered in this forum's TOP post and he should take time to read it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, but while the v3 extensions are compatible with 1Password 3, neither are supported with current OS and browser releases, so I'm not sure that's really a good option. Anyone with an older 1Password license can get upgrade pricing through the AgileBits Store, but anyone can contact us directly at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we're also happy to help track down license details if needed. :)

• klemmeellen
    klemmeellen
    Community Member

Thanks much! This definitely fixed my issue... I updated to 1Password 6 and it now operates just like I'd expect it to. If anyone else experiences this and is curious, 1Password 6 did adapt all of my 1Password 3 data with no problems at all, so I can just go from one system to the other without retyping passwords or anything like that. It just looks a lot swanker and I can read everything even when I click inside the boxes :).

Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you had a smooth upgrade!

I also want to mention that even though 1Password 6 can read the same vault from 1Password 3, we may be apprehensive about upgrading anyway. It's only natural! But since 1Password also makes periodic backups of our data, we also have a safety net if we do run into trouble. And of course we're here for you no matter what!

Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.