updating and consolidating after years of various versions of 1P

camner
camner
Community Member

I think it's time to update and consolidate how I set up 1Password on my various devices.

Background:

1. 1P 6.3.1 on 2 Macs (Yosemite)
  2. 1P 4.x on 1 Windows 10 PC
  3. 1P 6.4.2 on 2 iPhones and 2 iPads
  4. Both PC and Mac versions use the agilekeychain not opvaults (somehow I missed the news...)
  5. Dropbox sync with all Macs using the same Dropbox account, the PC using a different Dropbox account, 1 iPhone and 1 iPad using the same Dropbox account as the Macs, and the other iPhone and iPad using the same Dropbox account as the PC; the 2 1Password folders (1 for each Dropbox account) are shared with the other Dropbox account
  6. 3 vaults in total...1 main vault for 2 Macs, 1 iPhone, and 1 iPad (but shared with other devices); an Archive vault used only on the 2 Macs; another vault (wife's) used on the PC, 1 iPhone, and 1 iPad, (but shared with the other devices)
  7. main vault called 1Password.agilekeychain, wife's vault called S_1Password.agilekeychain, archive vault called Archive.agilekeychain
  8. Per instructions given by 1P support, the vault synced via the 2nd Dropbox account is in a separate folder from the main vault and the archive vault (IIRC, because of the use of 2 different Dropbox accounts with individual 1Password folders that are shared with the other Dropbox account, or perhaps it was because of the then requirement that the main vault be called 1Password.agilekeychain?)

As I grew with 1P, so did the complexity of the setup. It seems to me that if I were starting with 1P from scratch tomorrow, this wouldn't be the recommended setup...

What SHOULD my setup be, and how do I get it there...What I want is 3 vaults, able to be synced to/shared with some or all devices, with some devices using Dropbox account 1 and other devices using Dropbox account 2

1. Converting all the agilekeychain vaults to opvaults would make sense, it seems
  2. Currently 2 vaults are in Dropbox account 1, shared with Dropbox account 2, and the third vault is the reverse. Is there any reason why all 3 vaults should "originate" in one Dropbox account (within a single folder) and then have that folder shared with the other Dropbox account?
  3. Can I rename the original "main" vault to something more useful than 1Password.opvault (after conversion)?

I'm not sure if I've given enough info, or the info clearly enough, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.1 (Mac)/4.x (PC)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:updating and consolidating

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Hi @camner ,
    That's an interesting request that you have there.
    Your information is as complete as need be and your intentions are clear.

• Officially, you can only connect to one Dropbox account at a time on each device.
    • Even if you have an app that will load a second instance of Dropbox. Having never tried it, I'm unsure of how reliable a 1Password connection with that app would be. However, I thought of a solution — see below.*
    • Do you need two Dropbox accounts? I can see multiple reasons why you might reply with 'yes'.

It is very easy update change to the .opvault format:

On your Mac
    • Make a backup of your data.
    • Deactivate Dropbox Syncing (for each vault separately).
    • Delete the vaults in question on Dropbox.
    • Reactivate Dropbox sync and choose the 1Password folder on Dropbox.

You can find a full description here.
    Please be sure to read the Windows setup carefully, as attachments will not be included in your new .opvault. Hence, it might be a good idea to log into your windows vault via your Mac, at which point you can decide if you wish to move all of your vaults to a single Dropbox account or not.

*If you decide to move your vaults to your Mac's Dropbox account, you can share one or all of your vaults with your Windows account by installing a second Dropbox enabler for your Windows account and creating an alias for each shared vault in the Windows folder.

It is not possible to rename your Primary Vault, 1Password will automatically create a new one. However, you can create a new vault with the name that you require and move your data from the primary vault to the new vault.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions, there will always be someone around to help.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply! I'll need to think about this a bit to make sure I understand it, but it seems pretty clear.

Actually, I only have one dropbox account in use on anyone device. The 1Password folder on dropbox account 1 is being shared with dropbox account two, and vice versa (through dropbox folder sharing)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: The bad news is that to some extent, sorting out complex "which vault where" scenarios is going to fall on the user when it comes to Dropbox sharing. But the good news is that it looks like you have a really good handle on things — and have received some good advice from rjh as well!

Now, I hate to nitpick, but I guess given the circumstances it's important. First and foremost, be sure to backup all of your 1Password data. Better safe than sorry!

Next, I wanted to mention something that was glossed over a bit, but is pretty important when it comes to avoiding confusion: "converting" to OPVault is insanely easy with 1Password for Mac, and if you follow the advice rjh gave above, you will have inadvertently done this in the process! By default, the current version of 1Password will use OPVault when you setup sync with Dropbox. And you can simply do this on the Mac(s) and then point 1Password for Windows at the new vault(s). I just wanted to clarify that so you're not scrambling trying to do the conversion, or wonder how it already got done. ;)

Finally, if you're determined to use multiple Dropbox accounts, as mentioned above, you can only be logged into one at a time on each device. But this really isn't a problem since you can share a folder from one Dropbox account to another. I'd actually set this up first on one of your accounts, and then simply use that as the sync location when you setup 1Password. Ultimately 1Password doesn't care if ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ is "native" to that account, or is in reality a "resident" of another account which is sharing the folder with you. So long as your vault is where you say it is on disk, 1Password can use it. Cheers! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

So, let me see if I can summarize what is being proposed...

1. Work from a Mac that has all 3 vaults either "belonging" to it or shared with it.
    2. Make backup copies of all 3 vaults, just in case...
    3. Go to all devices with any of these vaults and stop syncing with dropbox
    4. (Delete the vaults and 1Password folders from both Dropbox accounts)??? <--is this step important?
    5. From the Mac turn on Dropbox syncing with all 3 vaults
    6. Go to the other devices and setup 1P to sync to whichever of the vaults I want access to from that device

And, if I understand correctly, when I do step 5 (turn on Dropbox syncing) from the Mac, 1P will automagically convert the existing vaults from .agilekeychain to .opvaults style vaults. Yes?

Questions:
    1. Does every device have a default vault to which new logons, etc. are automatically saved unless another vault is chosen? If so, how does one designate such a default vault for a particular device?
    2. I just read that 1P version 6 for Windows is in beta. Obviously Agile can't and won't disclose all features, release date, etc., but I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting for v6 Windows to come out before redoing my setup? After all, it was evolving with 1P over a number of years that got me to where I am today, with the need/desire to update my setup.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

OK, and I just thought of another few questions...

1. If one Mac now has all three vaults associated with it, how do I go about making one of those three vaults the "primary" vault of the Windows 1P installation (the one in which new logons will by default be created)?
    2. By doing everything from one of the Macs, will file attachments be converted so that they show up on the Windows machine? Is it that 1P for Windows doesn't support attachments or just that the conversion process (.agilekeychain --> .opvault) doesn't support attachments? I'm assuming the latter, but I want to make sure.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: You can make it as simple or as complex as you want. Personally, I'm relieved to be able to keep all of my vaults in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/, a folder "owned" by one account and shared with the others. It's possible to get much more "creative" than that, but I like the not-having-my-head-explode part. :lol:

It sounds like we're on the same page. I'll clarify a few things though. When you disable sync in 1Password for Mac, it will ask if you want to delete the vault. This is optional, but I'd definitely recommend it in your situation, provided you've verified that backups are already in place. Ultimately, you'll want to get rid of these no matter what, since you'll have new sync'd vaults you'll be using. Keeping the old ones around is just an investment in future confusion, I'd say. I only wish I could get rid of a lot of the various vaults I have lying around. ;)

And, if I understand correctly, when I do step 5 (turn on Dropbox syncing) from the Mac, 1P will automagically convert the existing vaults from .agilekeychain to .opvaults style vaults. Yes?

I'm glad you asked! 1Password actually keeps an internal database, so what happens is if you disable sync and delete the AgileKeychain, 1Password still has the data. And so when you setup sync again, 1Password will create a brand new sync'd copy as OPVault (by default). Thanks for letting me nerd out! :glasses:

Does every device have a default vault to which new logons, etc. are automatically saved unless another vault is chosen? If so, how does one designate such a default vault for a particular device?

The best thing to do is setup the app first using the "main" vault you'll be using. This will be the Primary, and by default, new logins will be saved there. However, 1Password for Mac and iOS also have an All Vaults setting/preference that lets you choose a different default vault if you wish.

I just read that 1P version 6 for Windows is in beta. Obviously Agile can't and won't disclose all features, release date, etc., but I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting for v6 Windows to come out before redoing my setup? After all, it was evolving with 1P over a number of years that got me to where I am today, with the need/desire to update my setup.

Absolutely stick with 1Password 4. It's a stable, full-featured app already, and 1Password 6 is focused on 1Password Families/Teams for the foreseeable future. Currently it has only read-only support for local vaults like you're using. We'll be adding full OPVault and AgileKeychain support in the future, but I can't say for certain when.

If one Mac now has all three vaults associated with it, how do I go about making one of those three vaults the "primary" vault of the Windows 1P installation (the one in which new logons will by default be created)?

Ah, another great question! 1Password for Windows version 4 has no concept of a "Primary" vault. It uses a single vault at any given time, so your "Primary" there will really just be whichever one you have open.

By doing everything from one of the Macs, will file attachments be converted so that they show up on the Windows machine? Is it that 1P for Windows doesn't support attachments or just that the conversion process (.agilekeychain --> .opvault) doesn't support attachments? I'm assuming the latter, but I want to make sure. Thanks again!

If you do the "conversion" (really just disable/enable sync) using 1Password for Mac, you won't have to worry about this. 1Password for Windows does support attachments. It just isn't possible to copy/paste attachments between vaults as you can the items themselves.

I hope this helps, and if you think of any other questions, we're here for you! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

I got back from vacation and did the dastardly deed...it went very smoothly, thanks to the help here. The only (teeny weeny) hiccup was that when it started to sync (after re-enabling sync), it appeared not to create a 1Password folder, until I realized that the path is now Apps/1Password....

Thanks all around!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @camner,

Whoo hoo! Thanks for letting us know that you’re all sorted out. I apologize that the change in file path was a bit unsettling, but I’m so glad to hear that you got it all working.

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

It wasn't so much unsettling as just a bit odd. I could see Dropbox saying it was syncing files and see the list of files synced go by in the Dropbox interface, but no 1password folder (or so it seemed). It was obvious that there was an explanation...it just wasn't immediately clear what it was.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad things are all sorted out now! If you have more questions about 1Password or just don't understand something you're seeing in it, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're always happy to help. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.