How to create new vault in iPassword6?

Options
kentlands
kentlands
Community Member

I am not seeing how to create new vaults in iPassword6 for Mac, using Families. The support documentation shows a "new vault" option under the iPassword drop-down menu, but I don't see that as an option in v6.2. Please advise. Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Families
OS Version: OS 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kentlands,

At the moment, the new Family vaults can be created in the Admin Console:
    https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-getting-started/

We are working on making it available in the Mac app as well.

• kentlands
    kentlands
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I found it - very helpful. Can I also rename a vault?

Thanks again.

• You are very welcome, @kentlands !

Admin Console also has an option to change the name of the vault:

• RMNL
    RMNL
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem, but I don't want to add a family folder. I want to add an offline "old-style" local vault in 1Password. How do I do that?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @RMNL,

You will find a setting in the latest version of 1Password 6 for Mac under Preferences > Advanced for "Allow creation of local vaults."

This setting will allow you to create vaults from the 1Password > New Vault menu.

Thanks!

Ben

• RMNL
    RMNL
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff This works. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. That's hard to find nowadays.

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. :)

It is intentionally a little bit hidden. In most cases folks with 1Password accounts will want to be creating 1Password Families or 1Password Teams vaults, so the preference to create local vaults is off by default. It can of course be enabled via the above.

If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

This gets me most of the way. But where is the vault created at? I'd like to be able to back it up!

What I'm trying to do is manually back up the vaults in 1Password for Families from time to time. So I was going to copy the data to my Primary vault. But where is it?

Is it possible for me to move the vault to a location of my choice, rename it, and then drag it into 1Password to store it where I want?

For more information on where I'm coming from, see this post

Thanks for your advice,

/Jeff

• @jeffc Vaults are created in your account, which is located on 1Password.com. You can sign in to it in any of the apps to access all the vaults you have. :) There's no need to copy data to your Primary vault since that isn't stored in your account. Your family account is backed up automatically, can you can restore previous versions of items if you make a change you decide isn't what needs to be there. Learn more about using vaults in your family account:

Create, share, and manage vaults

We'll be responding to your other post on the topic of backups.

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    Options

This isn't what I'm after. I want a local vault, that I can copy to an external disk and take to a safe deposit box.

If I knew where the private vault was created, and if I knew how to import that into a new 1Password installation, this will give me what I need. But just creating the vault isn't enough; I need to know where it is, and I need to know how to get that vault re-imported in a new installation of 1Password.

Thanks for your understanding and assistance.

• @jeffc Ah, you can create a local vault if you'd like. Just remember that items there will not be synced to your account. To create a local vault in 1Password for Mac:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, then click Advanced.
    3. Check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box and enter your Master Password when prompted.

The easiest way to back it up would be using folder sync, which lets you determine where a copy of the vault is stored. Hope that helps :)

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    Options

Getting closer ... okay, have a Primary vault, and I've created a folder sync of that vault. From the preferences window, it shows that it has sync'ed with my Primary vault.

However, how can I look at the contents of that new "folder sync" vault? If I actually needed it for some reason, how could I get 1Password to actually open it and show me the contents?

Thanks!

• @jeffc Perfect. You can open that vault, which should be named something like "1Password.opvault", by double-clicking it. It's good to remember a few things about this:

• The Primary is synced automatically to that vault file, but your items will need to be copied from your account to this vault to back them up, which is not automatic. You could add a reminder to do this once a week or at an interval you prefer. Sync it's synced automatically, your most recent copy of things from the account will show up in there.
    • You can open this vault on any Mac where 1Password is installed by double-clicking it and entering your vault password. It's good to keep this the same as your Master Password for your account for simplicity.
    • The vault is backed up as well, and you can find the backups in 1Password's preferences.

Hope that helps.

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @Jacob,

Oh, so close. This works, and if I do a full reset of 1Password, I can open this fault just fine. However, I can't open this backup vault in a "standard" situation; 1Password won't allow that since it's a sync target. This makes it kind of "blind" for me (I have to assume the backup vault is correct, but it's hard to verify that's the case).

It would be nicer if I just had a vault named as I decided, placed where I decided, and copied data to this when I decided. No syncing, just a copy when I decided to make it. Then that .opvault file could be backed up as I decided, and opened along with the rest of my "1Password for Families" data in the cloud. Is this possible with 1Password 6 these days on the Mac?

Finally, a few oddities:

• If I tried to open the vault when 1Password is set up and syncing to the 1Password.opvault vault, I get an error:

Why do I get this error? Why can't I open the vault to inspect it?

• When I try to copy all of my "1Password for Families" data to the Primary vault, I get an error there too:

Most of the data is there, but the item count on "1Password for Families" is 893 while the item count in my Personal vault is 888. How can I figure out what the problem is while copying the items?

• Hi @JeffC,

The reason that you're getting "Importing from keychains is not currently supported in vaults from 1Password accounts" is because of the technical differences between 1Password.com vaults and our more traditional vaults that can sync to opvault/agilekeychain files. There's a workaround for this though.

You can :

• Go to Preferences > Advanced
    • Check "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts"
    • This will create you a new Primary vault with the same Master Password as your 1Password account.
    • You should now be able to double click on the opvault file and it'll offer to create a new vault and sync against it

Once you're done, I highly recommend that you remove the vaults and then uncheck the checkbox under Preferences > Advanced.

Regarding the Item References Found error... this is likely because you've done a transition from a Primary vault to a 1Password.com vault in the past where items had attachments. When doing this migration, the attachments get converted from attachments to Documents, and the items that owned the attachment now have an item reference (a link) to the Document item. It's a different way of doing files in 1Password. Unfortunately item references and Documents aren't a feature that's available outside of 1Password.com vaults. This is why you would see a difference in number of items: the documents didn't come along for the ride.

This is something that I'd love for us to do better with. The recommendation for now is that for each Document you'd like to move over to a non-1Password.com vault is to download the document and re-create the attachment manually.

I hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.