Multiple Login Accounts per Item

km_burke
km_burke
Community Member

We've just started using 1Password for Teams as our password management solution and I'm trying to figure out the best way to structure our login items. We have 150+ clients with 6+ unique accounts for each client. I've tried creating one 'Login' item or 'Secure Note' for each client and then adding each account/website login as a new section within each note. That will allow us to have one vault with all our client login items and also organize logins on a per client basis. However, instead of manually copy & pasting the login credentials for specific websites under a client's login item, I'd like to have them auto-fill (that's one of the great beauties of 1Password after all). I can't find a way to do this. I'd rather not create one login item for each unique client account as that would be very unwieldy to organize - 900 different login items with no clear way to tie items to specific clients. Maybe I'm going about this all the wrong way, so I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on the best way to organize all our logins. Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams
Referrer: forum-search:multiple accounts per item

Comments

• Hey @km_burke! Oh my, that's quite the setup. While Secure Notes would work for this, I have something that may work better for you: Vaults. You mentioned that you have one to manage all your clients, but I'd recommend taking that a bit further and having individual ones for each client, which gives you another level of organization so you can have nice items for your clients rather than everything in custom sections. With over 150 clients, that may be a bit of a challenge to set up, but I think it'll work out better for you overall.

Before I go further, though, I have a question: Do you currently have the potential logins, passwords, and other info stored anywhere? Possibly in 1Password or a spreadsheet? It would be really nice to just import that to the account, which I'd be happy to help you with. Let us know a bit more about your setup so we can help you get things configured the best for the use case. :)

• km_burke
    km_burke
    Community Member

Hey @penderworth! Thanks for the reply! I did think of Vaults but was concerned about the hassle of managing 150+ Vaults. But maybe there are some bulk editing capabilities for Vaults that I wasn't aware of (specifically regarding user permissions)? We do currently have the majority of logins stored in a spreadsheet. Yikes, I know! We're hoping 1Password can get us out of that mess. I'm VERY interested in this import functionality that you speak of. Do you have any documentation you can share on that feature? I'm assuming we would need to format our login spreadsheet in a certain way with the right fields to facilitate importing into 1Password?

As a separate question related to sharing permissions, is there any plan to enable sharing permissions on a per item level (vs per Vault). That'd be really helpful.

• @km_burke Ah, I see what you mean. What kind of permissions do you need to manage, though? I'm not sure whether you're talking about you and your team accessing the client data, or the clients themselves. If you're planning to have clients as members of your team account, then the only way to organize it is with vaults since the clients shouldn't have access to each other's data. Could you give me a better idea of how the data will be used so I can help out with this part specifically? :)

Do you have any documentation you can share on that feature? I'm assuming we would need to format our login spreadsheet in a certain way with the right fields to facilitate importing into 1Password?

Indeed! Our "How to move your data from other applications to 1Password" covers is broadly, and the specific article that will help in your situation is this one:

How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file

Once things are formatted correctly, I'd recommend importing them into a new vault just to see if things work. Then, if you do decide to create multiple vaults for your clients, it may be a good idea to create different CSV files with the passwords for each one and import them into their vaults. Alternatively, you could import everything into one vault and move things afterward.

• km_burke
    km_burke
    Community Member

@penderworth

Regarding permissions, only our team members would need permissions to the vaults. But I'm wondering the best way to update/manage permissions on all these vaults once we have 150+ if we setup each client in their individual vault as suggested.

I reviewed the documentation for CSV imports. Thanks for sending that along!

A few additional questions:

• I've seen the use of folders in some other documentation. Are those still part of the app (Mac Desktop)? It'd be nice to be able to organize our Vaults into folders instead of having 150+ Vaults all on the same level.
    • Is there a way to create Vaults within the app (Mac Desktop)?
    • Is there a reason for the Vault title length limitation when creating new vaults? I'm unable to fit the entire name for some of our clients.
    • Is there any plan to enable sharing permissions on a per item level (vs per Vault). That'd be really helpful.

Thank you!

• @km_burke Okay that simplifies things a bit. :) For updating permissions, it all depends on what you mean by permissions. At the moment there isn't a bulk management of vaults, whether you're looking to add new members or manage their permissions. One thing that can simplify the process is the use of custom groups. You can add folks that need to manage several clients to those vaults quickly by putting those people in a group and giving the group access to the vaults those clients are in. It saves a bit of clicking, and works well for heftier management.

To answer your other questions...

I've seen the use of folders in some other documentation. Are those still part of the app (Mac Desktop)? It'd be nice to be able to organize our Vaults into folders instead of having 150+ Vaults all on the same level.

They are in the standalone app, but 1Password Teams uses tags instead of folders. This can be nice for adding more than one to an item. You can use it if you'd like, but you won't be able to grant specific access on a tag level. Since only your team members need access to the items, this should be fine.

Is there a way to create Vaults within the app (Mac Desktop)?

Yep! It only creates ones outside your account at the moment, though. If you set the app up using your team account and you'd like to create a local vault, unlock the app, choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, and then click Advanced. Check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box, then choose 1Password -> New Vault from the menu bar to create a new vault.

Is there a reason for the Vault title length limitation when creating new vaults? I'm unable to fit the entire name for some of our clients.

It's most likely because we don't want to overload the database. How many characters is a long name for you? I would be happy to look into expanding it if we can.

Is there any plan to enable sharing permissions on a per item level (vs per Vault). That'd be really helpful.

Yes! We've had lots of requests for this since we launched and we're working on implementing it. There are lots of challenges on both the security and design side, so we're working through those. It's one of the top requests and I'm hoping we'll have something ready soon. :)

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.