"Fingerprint hardware not available" on Galaxy Note 4 [not supported]

enderep12
enderep12
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Android

Hi guys,

I finally received the OTA update to Android 6 for my Galaxy Note 4 (German version, so SM-N910F) and could not wait to finally set up fingerprint unlock.

When I go to the app options the option to activate the fingerprint is greyed out with a comment that says (roughly translated) "Fingerprint hardware not available".

I already tried reinstalling the app and resynching my vault to fix this, but the fingerprint reader still seems to be disabled in 1PW. However the reader is used several times a day to unlock the phone, so it itself should be working ;-)

Hope you guys can help me, thanks in advance!
Phil

1Password Version: 1PW for Android 6.3
Extension Version: 1PW for Android 6.3
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

@enderep12: I'm really sorry for the trouble! We've received a few other reports of this and are investigating the cause. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

ref: OPA-850

• enderep12
    enderep12
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for the reply. I sent the report.

• Thanks @enderep12! We'll take a look and get back to you. :)

• Albe89
    Albe89
    Community Member

some problem on the same device (Note4 ) :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Albe89: I'm really sorry you're having this issue too. We're working to find a solution. Thanks for your patience!

• Albe89
    Albe89
    Community Member

BTW I've send a report! ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Albe89: Ah! I'm not seeing anything under this address, but if you'll post the Support ID you received I'll make sure the development team sees it. Thanks in advance! :)

• Albe89
    Albe89
    Community Member

@brenty : here's the ID [#QJF-56644-229] . Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Albe89: Likewise! Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: QJF-56644-229

• Albe89
    Albe89
    Community Member

thanks again! good work :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• CootjeNL
    CootjeNL
    Community Member

Same issue here with my Samsung Galaxy Note Edge with Android 6.0.1...

• Enri70
    Enri70
    Community Member

Good morning to everyone, I have the same issue on my Galaxy Note 4 (GM-N910F) on Android 6.0.1.
    Fingerprint hardware not recognized.
    I hope in a solution soon... :)

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Enri70, @CootjeNL: Sorry for the inconvenience! We've discovered that this problem exists in Android N as well, so we're exploring a solution that will work for both that and Marshmallow. Thanks for you patience!

• CootjeNL
    CootjeNL
    Community Member

Tnx @brenty for the update. I'm a beta tester, so I hope that I'm able to test the fix soon ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise! Thanks for helping us make 1Password better! :chuffed:

• Sophia
    Sophia
    Community Member

Same problem :( I was so excited when Canada finally updated the Note but alas... Won't work yet. Will send a log :)

• Thanks @Sophia. I'll take a look. :)

• MaroonLoto
    MaroonLoto
    Community Member

Hi folks, having the very same issue... too bad really, because I've waited for months to 6.0 finally arrive and now this... did anyone of you actually get a result out of sending that log?

• Hi @MaroonLoto. Thanks for reaching out. I see that you've emailed us as well, and I've responded via email. :)

• MaroonLoto
    MaroonLoto
    Community Member

Hey guys, I've found a solution! Got rid of my Android and just went back to iPhone. Works like a charm. :) Was a stupid idea anyway...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that's working for you at least. I'm not sure that "solution" will work for everyone, so we'll keep working on this problem for everyone else. ;)

• HorFrost
    HorFrost
    Community Member

I have been waiting months to get Android 6 so I could use this feature. It's literally the first thing I tried to setup after installing Marshmallow! Needless to say, I am very disappointed that it doesn't work. I hope a fix can be found soon. Thanks.

• I’m sorry for the disappointment. From my understanding, the Note 4’s Android Marshmallow update does not support the fingerprint framework that Google made available in this update. Newer Samsung devices getting the Android Marshmallow update have support for this framework, so it looks like the Note 4 was made an exception. :(

• HorFrost
    HorFrost
    Community Member

Oh, thanks for the information. That really sucks but I love 1password!

• You’re very welcome. Thank you for your support <3

• CootjeNL
    CootjeNL
    Community Member

Noooo... Really? Aren't you going to support the Note4/Note Edge fingerprint?
    Even my bank app does support the Samsung fingerprint reader. I was so glad to hear that from Android 6 you were going to support my device (and it took sooooo long for Samsung to deploy Android 6 for this device). And now you tell me that the support won't come the this device. I'm really disappointed. Is there a place where we can vote for this feature?

• saad
    edited June 2016

@CooteNL I am very sorry Fingerprint Unlock is not supported on the Galaxy Note 4. If we are to support Fingerprint Unlock on older Samsung devices, we would need to support it through Samsung’s Pass framework.

Samsung’s Pass framework was created before fingerprint scanner support came natively on the Android OS. It was a way for developers to hook into Samsung’s fingerprint hardware. While this framework continues to be supported on newer Samsung devices, it’s important to understand this implementation is no longer required for newer devices and is limited to a small number of Samsung devices today.

We would love to support this framework, but given that our development resources are limited and we have a number of major changes planned on our roadmap, it’s unlikely to see us support this.

• aabusoglu
    aabusoglu
    Community Member

I advice "roboform password manager" or "password manager safeincloud" and uninstall 1password because of not supporting Note 4. I think this is the most respond to 1password team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aabusoglu: I'm sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Android does support Samsung's Galaxy Note 4...but Samsung has elected not to support Google's Nexus Imprint feature in Android 6/M, which is the system standard that 1Password uses for fingerprint support. You'll need to contact Samsung if you'd like your Note 4 to someday join the rest of their devices which do support Nexus Imprint. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.