First-time setup confusion

evangoldin
evangoldin
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Families

Hey guys, I just signed up for a 1Password for Teams account, and I could use some help.

I have created two vaults under the shared family plan. One of my personal stuff, and one for shared stuff for the whole family. However, my confusion is over the original vaults I've always used on my computer. Are those in a totally separate place? Should I just move everything from my 'Personal' 1Password account into the "Personal" vault in my family's account? Any reason not to do that, since I should be the only person who can see it?

Just trying to figure out how and where to store all the data I have accumulated.

• Evan

PS Also, this happened when I tried to change my photo here: https://www.evernote.com/l/AB-obm8JtqxF4qkqnA0hDkTwd3cBgc3lpLg

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @evangoldin

I'm glad to hear that you're using 1Password Teams and enjoying it! The vaults you already have are stored locally on your computer, which means that you wouldn't have access to them easily with your account. If you have some particular reason (for example, the Team belongs to your job and you don't want to mix your personal stuff with it) you can leave it as it is. However, the best solution is to migrate your data into your personal vault. You can take a look at the migration process here: https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/

Please let us know how this goes for you and if you have any other questions that we can help you with! :chuffed:

• evangoldin
    evangoldin
    Community Member

Thanks Pilar! I think I got it mostly figured out, and migrated everything successfully. A couple of follow up questions:

• Is there any disadvantage or lost functionality having things stored in a family-based vault over a local vault?
    • I used to sync my 1password apps over Dropbox. Is that not needed anymore? Is everything synced via 1Password's website/servers?
    • I deleted my Personal, local vault on 1P on Mac, and that seemed to work fine. However, on iOS, I still see it there, even though it's synced and there's now nothing in it. How do I remove my personal, local vault from iOS?
  • Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @evangoldin

I'm glad to hear that the migration has been successful for you! I'll be happy to answer each of your questions:

Is there any disadvantage or lost functionality having things stored in a family-based vault over a local vault?

No at all! There is some lost functionality in the other direction: keeping some things on local vaults. Using only your account is the best approach!

I used to sync my 1password apps over Dropbox. Is that not needed anymore? Is everything synced via 1Password's website/servers?

You don't need to worry about Dropbox or syncing anymore, everything is done automatically with your account. Your data is on our servers and available right away on all your devices.

I deleted my Personal, local vault on 1P on Mac, and that seemed to work fine. However, on iOS, I still see it there, even though it's synced and there's now nothing in it. How do I remove my personal, local vault from iOS?

This one's a bit tricky: you need to delete the app, download it again and install it directly with your account. There is no way yet to delete the primary vault there like with the main app.

I hope that this clears things up a bit, but if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.